• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Damien bitter with his uncle and the Hawks

Admin

Quote: 
Hawks' disinterest gnaws at Wilkins

By GARY WASHBURN

P-I REPORTER

SAN ANTONIO -- There are mixed emotions whenever Sonics forward Damien Wilkins returns to Atlanta. He will request dozens of tickets for tonight's game with the Hawks for family and friends, who will welcome him.

Yet, part of Wilkins remains bitter about the Hawks passing on him in the 2004 NBA draft, especially since his uncle Dominique, a finalist for the Pro Basketball Hall of Fame, is the team's vice president.

Despite three second-round picks and five overall that year, the Hawks passed on Wilkins, who signed a free-agent contract with the Sonics and parlayed that into a five-year, $15 million extension this past summer.

"I don't think they were even interested in signing me," Wilkins said Tuesday. "I was disappointed about that, because growing up that is the only team I rooted for. And knowing my uncle was in the front office, too, that took a long time to get over. I was really disappointed in him because I felt like he could have had more input."

Wilkins traveled to New York for draft night hoping the Hawks would nab him. Instead, they took Donta Smith, Royal Ivey and Viktor Sanikidze. Only Ivey remains on the active roster. Wilkins is one of the Sonics' key reserves and top defenders.

"The fact that they had five draft picks. Five picks? I could have been one of the second-round picks, at least the last one," he said. "It didn't really affect it (relationship with Dominique), but it didn't help it. He never really gave me a reason. I always wanted him to just give me a reason why. He was in the room on draft night. What happened? Did my name come up?"

Wilkins does not talk with his uncle very often, but when he scored a career-high 26 points against Atlanta on Feb. 11, Damien received a call from Dominique.

"(Dominique) doubted, that's what it is," Damien said. "He, like them, didn't believe in me. I truly believe that my uncle didn't believe in me. I had to prove myself to him and that's disappointing because he knew me better than anybody. He's in my family. He's blood and he knew what I was capable of doing."

having watched him alot at UGA I totally understand why he wasn't taken higher. He just never lived up to expectations to become anything more than a sold player. The only thing he excelled at was being able to playmultiple positions, but he never played well enough at any of them to make you think he'd ever be an NBA player.

My thoughts exactly...I'm glad he turned out to be a good player in the league, but you never would have known it by his college career. If the Hawks had drafted him, the only reason would have been Nique and would have open the organization up for futher criticism. To be honest, he needs to be very thakful to his uncle because without that name on his back he would have been traveling overseas somewhere.

With that name on his back, Damien would have likely never lived up to expectations in Atlanta. Look at what all the instant gratfication people want in the team as it is. Had Damien come to Atlanta and fallen short of what his uncle did, he would have been blasted to no end.

oh poor baby...is da wittle damien hurtsy wurtsy that he favorite team didn't pick him? ahhh, it'll be ok wittle damien. here's your wittle training bra, let's put it on for you. see, there ya go. doesn't that feel nice and supportive for your budding bosoms?

look there are a lot of guys out there who want to play in the NBA and in a much worse financial situation than Wilkins 3. The Hawks picked who they felt was a better option. Damien just did not have a stellar career or anything that made me think he would be any good. even when he played at clemson i beleive it was against my noles.

Damien, people can't pick you because of your name. I'm glad he's proved the doubters wrong but he can't fault the doubters. by the way, i stole the training bra thing from family guy.

Eh, he got his feelings hurt. It happens, so you just have to let it go. The fact he continues to dwell on the snub is not healthy in my opinion, and it's also very pointless. He's made himself a career and will make himself a lot of money in Seattle- so just be happy with that, count your blessings, enjoy life, move on. It's really not that hard to do.

IMO he has very little right to be bitter, as he has a blessed life compared to the vast majority of people on earth- and there are people out there on the streets homeless and living in dumpsters and such.