• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

JJ with the best all around performance I've ever

Admin

seen from a Hawk player. Any thoughts on that? Did most of you get to see the game? He was just incredible with the ball in his hands and as usual played great defense, but he basically just took over the game the last 3 minutes and in OT and willed us to a win.

I don't know Dolfan, if only we had Boris Diaw instead to make the big shots at the end of the game. wink.gif

* Also, we got 36 points from Williams/Chill/Smith and I considered that a sub-par game for them colletively. (I know Childress had a good scoring night) That is just why I'm so optimistic. Those 3's skill sets don't rely on them touching the ball a lot. They can produce regardless of how many shots they take.

Quote:

yeah he was clutch and made good decisions all night. he was usin his inside game at times which i really like along with the 3's. his numbers are incredible. and props to marv for passin up the 3 to get it to jj to tie it.

Marvin is a team player he knew JJ was hot and CHill has been amazing since you guys were making fun of him and everybody was on Iggy's side. wink.gif

I watched the game and the following caught my eye:

1. JJ was there every time the Hawks needed a hoop - particularly in OT...

2. for the final shot of regulation, marvin was wide open but thought, "am I ready to take a game winning shot? maybe not, better pass the ball!" when the ball got to JJ, he didn't even bother thinking the same thing - he just shot and scored...

3. in OT, once the started triple teaming JJ, he really needed another ball handler beside him. once we get a real PG, he'll be so much better...

JJ is by far the best Hawks since steve smith and possibly since dominique....

flava

• Premium Member

Quote:

fill me in here!

flava

I started a thread indicating that most posters on this board are more concerned with improving the offense by adding a point guard vs fixing this defense. It just seams to me that everyime the team has a big offensive night and a bad defensive effort, someone bring up the need for a point guard but say nothing about the need for defense. I find that strange.

A big reason the hawks need a quality pg is to defend other pgs. Ivey is the best defender at the point we have but he isn't the quickest guy around. Lue is quick but small and weak. Salim isn't a defender either.

This team has been lit up all year by small, quick guards.

There is no doubt that interior D is their biggest weakness but the Hawks need to address both areas in the offseason.

• Premium Member

Quote:

A big reason the hawks need a quality pg is to defend other pgs. Ivey is the best defender at the point we have but he isn't the quickest guy around. Lue is quick but small and weak. Salim isn't a defender either.

This team has been lit up all year by small, quick guards.

There is no doubt that interior D is their biggest weakness but the Hawks need to address both areas in the offseason.

What quick point guard did seattle and Indiana have? And are you suggesting that our bad defense is because of the point guard position? Please clarify.

• Premium Member

Quote:

But costly turnovers in the 4th quarter will kill a team just as quickly and that's what my comment was directed at....

flava

Costly turnovers? Against Seattle, we had a total of 9 turnovers the entire game & 28 assist. Our guards only had 3 of them but yet we lost why? Because we couldn's stop Allen, Lewis or Wilcox. What does any of this have to do with the point guard position?

• Premium Member

Quote:

as i recall, we've played 53 games this season... not one.

flava

Even tonight, Turnover were not the reason we struggle defensively, that was Indiana's problem. The times that we turned it over is when we dumped it into Harrington's hands on the post in the 1st half and the double team was killing him. It certain was not the play at point guard

• Premium Member

JJ took over... from the end of the fourth to overtime. It was great. I thought we were going to lose this one... But when Peja missed the free throw, I said.. uh oh... the door is open.

I think that play showed a culmination of team work.

Zaza with the offensive board. Marvin with the swing pass. JJ with the big shot.

Tonight was definitely a team effort even though JJ and Al did most of the carrying.

We own the Pacers.