• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

SMOOVE FOR ALL DEFENSIVE TEAM?

TheArtist

I was looking at Josh's stats and he is currently 5th in the league in blocked shots and 7 in BPG at 2.4. He currently is behind AK-47 in blocks as a forward. Is it possible that if he continues on his current tear and raises his BPG to over 2.5 that he could steal a second team all defensive slot from say a Bruce Bowen..whose defensive prowess this year is more reputational than statistical.

The biggest barrier would probably be that the Hawks record stinks and we give up a lot of PPG. But if they based it on individual play, he should have a shot. I mean there are few in the league who can alter people's offensive game as Smoove can. Especially at crunch time.

The problem for Smith is that he spends a lot of time at the 3 guarding on the perimeter, which he isn't that good at. He should be playing at the 4 where he would be more effective defensively.

I have no clue why Woodson insists on playing Al at the 4 and Josh at the 3 on D since that clearly doesn't work.

Quote:

If you had to pick 2-3 forwards to play defense, would you guys really pick this 20 year old? He's a good shot blocker, but that doesn't make him an all-NBA player.

of course not. Smith isn't even our best defensive player.

He is one of the best shot blockers in the country, not one of the best defenders. Just like he is one of the best dunkers, but not one of the best scorers / offensive players in the league.

If there was an all-blocking team he would possibly make it

Quote:

Quote:

If you had to pick 2-3 forwards to play defense, would you guys really pick this 20 year old? He's a good shot blocker, but that doesn't make him an all-NBA player.

He is one of the best shot blockers in the country, not one of the best defenders. Just like he is one of the best dunkers, but not one of the best scorers / offensive players in the league.

Agreed. Plus there is absolutely no way anyone from one of the worst defensive teams in the league deserves inclusion among the league's best defenders.

Smoove has potential, but he has a ways to go before he is referred to as one of the games premier defenders.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. Plus there is absolutely no way anyone from one of the worst defensive teams in the league deserves inclusion among the league's best defenders.

Smoove has potential, but he has a ways to go before he is referred to as one of the games premier defenders.

I don't know what games yall are watching but I don't see Smith getting beat by his man too often. He basically takes everyone he guards out of their comfort zone. Even during fastbreaks I have seen people short arm layups because they know that Josh may be coming. I mean I can't count how many game changing blocks Smoove has had this year.

Some of you may think that blocks are a useless statistic but I would disagree because they either change possessions or shorten possessions.

Quote:

I don't know what games yall are watching but I don't see Smith getting beat by his man too often. He basically takes everyone he guards out of their comfort zone. Even during fastbreaks I have seen people short arm layups because they know that Josh may be coming. I mean I can't count how many game changing blocks Smoove has had this year.

Some of you may think that blocks are a useless statistic but I would disagree because they either change possessions or shorten possessions.

Please, no one is challenging whether blocked shots are significant or not. It's not a knock on Josh to say that he is not yet an all-NBA defensive player. The Pistons just wouldn't play him in place of Sheed on defense.

I think the Joshes are playing well, they just aren't the 6th men of the year or all-NBA defense.

Quote:

Quote:

Please, no one is challenging whether blocked shots are significant or not. It's not a knock on Josh to say that he is not yet an all-NBA defensive player. The Pistons just wouldn't play him in place of Sheed on defense.

I think the Joshes are playing well, they just aren't the 6th men of the year or all-NBA defense.

I think they just do forwards regardless of position...so AK and Marion could both be first team.