• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Every once in a while, I'll agree with Chad Ford.

KB21

This is one of those instances, so you better write this down. This is from his chat session he recently had about the draft:

Quote:

Ty (Lewisburg, PA): Best prospect nobody knows about?

Chad Ford: Three answers.
Tyrus Thomas of LSU. The kid is special. He isn't getting the hype of other more prominent players but a few scouts I trust think he may be the best prospect in the draft.
Justin Williams of Wyoming. He's an amazing shot blocker in the Theo Ratliff mode. Paul Millsap of Lousiana Tech. He's been the best rebounder in college basketball for three years. Somebody in the NBA needs that.

Quote:

As long as he is 6'9" he is perfect for the Hawks.

In all fairness I'd take a 6'9" Ben Wallace clone. So I'm not going to judge the guy just because of his height. If he is a SF/PF tweener, then no. If he is a 6'9" PF/C, then maybe. I haven't seen the guy enough to know.

According to nbadraft: "Extremely long arms plus great lift make him a monster on the boards and allow him to play much bigger than 6-9 ... "

So who knows.

He is more of a sf/pf tweener..He plays next to Big Baby Glenn Davis who in my opinion is the best post player in college basketball this year..Big Baby leads the SEC in scoring and rebounding and is a monster size wize at 6'9" 315, and he is not fat..He is a guy that might play center in the NBA at 6'9"...

One more question, outside of Ben Wallace, who is actually only 6'7", can anyone here think of another impact center that was shorter than 6'10"?

The reason I ask, is because we have all wondered if Smoove or Thomas, or any other undersized post type player could become the next Ben Wallace.It sort of reminds me of the comparisons of almost any 6'8" or 6'9" white guy that can shoot a little being compared to Larry Bird..

• Admin

at the NBA level. Ben Wallaces success is a testament to how hard he works. He may be undersized. But he had worked his ass off to be strong and to learn how to play, despite his lack of height. Small college centers RARELY reach the same level in the NBA. Smells like a great rebounding bench player in the making to me.

Ronnie Brewer led the SEC in scoring and steals all season, until he gave up the scoring lead to Big Baby because Arkansas wasn't getting the distribution they needed from the point. So they moved Ronnie there and he obliged by dishing out 9 assist against Tennessee a few days ago. At 6'7", can dish and score, some team is going to get an excellent talented player, unfortunately the Hawks have too many 6-7 to 6-9 guys.

I'm not disagreeing at all. I'm just saying I'm not completely disregarding the guy based on just being 6'9". If he was 6'7" I might. At 6'9" I'd look at his game and evaluate where I think he would fit in the NBA game. If the answer is that he is a SF/PF tweener, I want nothing to do with him.

I would say Omeka Okafor measured out at 6-9 also, and when he is not injured he is a pretty good center. Alonzo Mourning was listed at 6-10, but I doubts if he was that tall. How tall was Bill Russell?

6-9 with a good wingspan is plenty tall enough to play center in the NBA in this day in age. Height doesn't really matter that much to me, its how he plays. Is he a guy that can anchor the middle on defense and pull down 10 plus boards? If he is, thats the guy we need to draft.

If he is AL Harrinton clone I would pass. I want defense and rebouding.

Lets say Thomas worst case is a Stromile Swift clone. Don't you think the hawks would be a much better team with Stromile's rebounding and blocking shots?

If we wanted Stromile Swift we could have signed him pretty cheaply last offseason or we could have traded for him this year, Van Gundy wants him out of Houston, so my answer is no..Slomile has the reputation of being of being both lazy and dumb, which is a lethal combination.

If we are including players from the past, Dave Cowens (6-9 good offense and defense,good rebounder, not a shotblocker), Wes Unseld (6-7 "the Oak Tree" good offensive and defensive player,good rebounder, not a shot blocker though), Clifford Ray (6-9 great defensive player, good shot blocker, not that great on offense - kind of like Ben Wallace) to name a few.