• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sigh...anyone else think we'll never be good?

CBAreject

I see reasonable expectations as follows without taking into account the specific players, but rather looking at it blindly as a complete rebuild that hit rock bottom last year.

My expectations were roughly as follows:

(2005:13 wins)

2006:25-30 wins

2007:35-45 wins, including a playoff push. Playoffs not necessary for it to be successful, but a return to respectability

2008:Nothing less than playoffs. Hopefully push for home court in the first round. Hard to put a ceiling here because so much depends on specific acquisitions, but it should be clear that this point that we are successful and looking good long term

I think we are right on pace. You can't rebuild from a 13 win team to a top 8 in 2-3 years unless you have a situation like the spurs where robinson was injured and they picked up duncan. Or if you get a lebron type.

This team will be better than good, IMO. I don't believe great teams are built around great point guards and great centers. There aren't enough of either to go around, and the Detroit Pistons have been the best team in the NBA over a three year span without a truly great point guard and dominant center.

Great teams are built around great players, and I believe the Hawks have two pieces that have the ability/potential to be those great players that a championship team can be built around. Those two players are Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams. No, Marvin isn't there yet, but I have no doubt that this guy will get there considering his immense level of talent and his work ethic. Joe Johnson is already there, and he's a guy that gives the Hawks enough flexibility that they don't have to go out and get the so called "true", pass first point guard. The Hawks are building a team where pretty much every player on the court are above average passers that can find the open man...unselfish play.

If the Hawks can stumble upon a Chauncey Billups type of signing this offseason and add some interior defense into the equation, they will continue to get better. Remember. Chauncey Billups was a journeyman before signing with Detroit. His game has blossomed in Detroit though. That's BK's task this offseason. He's got to scour the free agent crop and figure out which players may be ready to "break out" like Chauncey has done.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I see reasonable expectations as follows without taking into account the specific players, but rather looking at it blindly as a complete rebuild that hit rock bottom last year.

My expectations were roughly as follows:

(2005:13 wins)

2006:25-30 wins

2007:35-45 wins, including a playoff push. Playoffs not necessary for it to be successful, but a return to respectability

2008:Nothing less than playoffs. Hopefully push for home court in the first round. Hard to put a ceiling here because so much depends on specific acquisitions, but it should be clear that this point that we are successful and looking good long term

I think we are right on pace. You can't rebuild from a 13 win team to a top 8 in 2-3 years unless you have a situation like the spurs where robinson was injured and they picked up duncan. Or if you get a lebron type.

These are my own expectations as well.

When I read the Woodson quote about not planning on the playoffs for two more years, I was furious. The playoffs should be the goal next year because:

1. The talent is starting to gel.

2. Smith & Childress with be entering the "3rd season gateway" where they start to realize the NBA talent.

3. Next year's pick is going to Phoenix, so it's best to send them a mid-to-low 1st.

I agree with you. I just want to point out that Nene, if signed, would upgrade the defense because he knows how to use his size defensively. He won't be a shot blocker though.

I see you are impressed by Randy Foye. I'm very impressed with him. He's an underrated player who I believe can play the point guard position alongside a player like Joe Johnson in the NBA. He's 6-3, 215 lbs or so, and he has shown at the collegiate level that he can get into the lane at will, nail the open perimeter jumper, and defend very well even though he is defending players that are 4 inches taller than he is on most nights.

I also like Mardy Collins, but I don't know if you have seen any of him. I actually had a dream the other night that the Hawks got the 6th pick and used it on Mardy Collins. He's 6'6", 215 lbs or so, long arms, good match up defender on the perimeter, very good with the ball in his hands, and is very unselfish. I think this is a guy who will end up going in the top 10 of the draft once he plays in the pre-draft events.

• Premium Member

If the Hawks decide to draft a "small," which I don't expect them, then they MUST find a guard who can get to the free throw line.

It's one of the few flaws in JJ's game. I wish Salim would work more on it, too.

Quote:

If the Hawks decide to draft a "small," which I don't expect them, then they MUST find a guard who can get to the free throw line.

The Hawks may well be picking 7-9. At that point the best bigs may be gone.

Foye isn't small for a pg, and he can definitely penetrate and get to the line. He is very athletic, somewhat like a poor man's Wade.

KB Collins looks too slow to me. I think the Hawks need a guard with good speed.

Foye is averaging around 5 free throw attempts per game, which is shocking considering how much he penetrates into the lane.

Collins averages about the same, but he's more of a drive and pull up jumper type than a get into the lane and finish type. Foye is the latter. He's like a poor man's Dwyane Wade.