• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Young Teams or Sign of the Times

Diesel

• Premium Member

I have been watching basketball for a long time. I remember when there were good vet teams during the Lakers Celtics era. These teams new how to do one thing well.

When they got up by ten or more, they knew how to slow the game down use clock, and hammer their opponent's defense down with halfcourt play.

Our teams now is notorious for blowing big leads.

Is the problem that we're young or is it that times have changed and teams no longer slow down the tempo and pound the other teams defense.

I say that because I watch Phoenix from time to time. Even though they are successful, they never stop the track meet. They run from start to finish... They sometimes let teams back in the game.

Has the NBA turned into a league of teams that don't make adjustments because of score??

no.

Phoenix does that because that's all they know how to do. Which is why they usually don't cut it in the playoffs.

On the other hand a team like the spurs knows how to milk the clock when it's advantageous, and get out and run when it makes more sense. They are just a more balanced team.

It isn't fair to put this Phoenix team in that category. They have only been contenders for one year and JJ got his face busted in the playoffs.

Dallas will fail again this year I believe because Dirk refuses to play in the post. Therefore people can put smaller players on him and not get burned.

well that's how they were last year. And that's how they are this year without Amare and Kurt. When those 2 come back, they might use their flexibility, and they certainly have much better balance than they did last year. I thought Kurt Thomas was a fantastic pickup for them. He knows the slow, grind it out halfcourt game.

But my point is when you see the current suns run and run and run, it's because it's basically all they can do right now, and it's their best chance of winning. I'm not saying they have no shot once they get healthy. I think that Duncan's lingering injury has turned a certain finals appearance into a true three-horse race in the west with SA-PHX-DAL. Hell even the Clippers if they can beat the mavs in the first round.

If Duncan recovers fully, I still expect them to win though

I actually meant to reply to solehawk, who was referring to Phoenix as a regular early loser in the playoffs.

Phoenix is going to play the way they play, but they brought in guys specifically to match up with the Spurs.

They'll put KT on Duncan and Bell on Manu. And nobody on the Spurs can guard Amare.

I think it is inevitable that they will meet. Should be a great series.

• Premium Member

I watched a lot of NBA games myself since around 1977. I hink one of the reasons may be the shortage of big men. I remember that the Celts, lakers, Bucks, etc would go down low to the post and either get fouled or score.

Times have changed now I guess. Us old timers enjoyed a different basketball game.

• Admin

It's a bunch of things. A large part of it is that teams aren't allowed to play the same type of defense they did back then. Which works in both directions. While few if any teams can rely on simply shutting the other team down completely. Teams are also better offensively than they were back then. This season we only have four teams averaging below 92ppg. You can't simply plan and expect another team to not score.

Phoenix lets teams back in becuase they are an offensive team and do not play good defense.

• Premium Member

I think each era has different scoring tempos.

I think you have a weak argument with the 92 ppg average. If you were comparing this era to say the Jordan and the Bulls era, that would be significant. But if you were to go to the era that preceded the Jordan, Knicks, and Pistons to say when the Lakers and Celtics played... The ppgs were much much higher because the tempo was different . I think Denver may have put up 116 ppg during that time.

But even with the difference in tempo, Stern has been working fiercely to try to get teams back to that tempo.

I think somebody else has hit it on the head. The Lack of a big man is killing this era. And I guess you have to specify.. Big man that has a big man's game. I mean, Yao is big, but he's weak in the things that Big men do.

I guess that is why San Antonio is the only team that can switch gears from uptempo to low post.

My friend just had a baby boy who I am sure will be a 7 footer.... We need to get him in the gym now and teach him from the School of postup.