• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

We don't need a point Guard Really!!!!!!

LastDon

If Joe Finishes the season averaging 7 assist that would be huge when you think about that he is a 2 guard. I think he is definitely worth max money 20 points and 7 assist.

I like the combination of Ivey/Stoudamire and wouldn't be upset if we went into next season with this guys playing the point. I think we should trade Lue for a 2nd round pick because he doesn't play any D and he jus takes shots away from Chillz Marvelous and Smooth!!!!

Our focus in the off season should be to sign big men like Wright/Olowakandi/Ely/ or Nene.

If we keep the core group of guys the same we should get off to a very good start next season and make the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed.

• Premium Member

After much thinking, I don't think we need a starting PG. However, we do need that guy off the bench who can bring a sense of calm to our offense. Maybe more time with the team will help JJ become more PG worthy, but like I said before the season, you don't want your top scoring guy being your ball handler. It's a recipe for disaster.

What I would like to see is Josh Childress and Smoove continue to work on their ball handling.

I cringe when other teams put pressure on our guys becuase we have no counter.

So what's the remedy?

It may be Lue. I know Lue has his shortcomings but Lue can get the ball across the line. I think if Lue works at getting us into our offense better and not holding the ball like he does, we will be a much better team. I think Ivey is a guy we probably need to keep too... If not, then we need a PG who can defend.

Quote:

bringing the ball up court against pressure. I just think that Royal is the perfect fit for our team. I have been impressed with the things that he does that might not show in the stat book during the games that Lue has been out.

Are you guys drunk? I am sorry but you can't have a starting NBA pointguard avg 3 pts and 1 assist per game. He plays 10 minutes a game for a reason...he sucks. Even with Lue out for a month he hasn't gotten anymore playing time. Woody had been playing JJ 48 mpg the past week or so because Ivey stinks so much. If we go into the season with Ivey starting the point someone should Abe Lincoln Woody and BK. If we don't get a point then I am praying that Salim works on ball handling over the summer. I like Salim's quickness to the basket and his fearlessness. He also isn't as bad a defender as some folks on this board like to think.

i think our best bet is an al/lue trade to some team...some team would give us a good pg for that combo as they get 'a top 5 backup pg' and a 17/7 forward

we only need one pg, as ivey is more than capable of being our main backup pg for many years

we need one really good pg and one really good center

we have backup pg, we have backup bigs (zaza, andersen, rmorris (maybe), batman)

we have plenty at the 2/3/4

so we really only need 2 players...hopefully we can get one in the draft and one in facy

if we draft rondo and sign nene/pryz, then what do we get back for al? i would prolly do a good vet pg like an andre miller or sam cassell who could lead the team until rondo is ready

• Premium Member

Quote:

but like I said before the season, you don't want your top scoring guy being your ball handler. It's a recipe for disaster.

A guy name Magic Johnson was the leading scorer for the showtime laker. And so was a fellow by the name of Isiah.

Quote:

i think our best bet is an al/lue trade to some team...some team would give us a good pg for that combo as they get 'a top 5 backup pg' and a 17/7 forward

we only need one pg, as ivey is more than capable of being our main backup pg for many years

we need one really good pg and one really good center

we have backup pg, we have backup bigs (zaza, andersen, rmorris (maybe), batman)

we have plenty at the 2/3/4

so we really only need 2 players...hopefully we can get one in the draft and one in facy

if we draft rondo and sign nene/pryz, then what do we get back for al? i would prolly do a good vet pg like an andre miller or sam cassell who could lead the team until rondo is ready

Here we go with the Rondo stuff again. Bob Neal was on 790 this morning and he said that Tubby can't wait until Rondo leaves because he is hard headed and he think that he is an all world point and he is only avg. at best.

Of Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Marvin Williams, and Al Harrington...who is the best basketball player?

Al by far...and all we talk about is trading him. We HAVE capspace?!? H#LL the guy is 26 years old! It's all because deep down we all know that our bull-headed GM has to showcase Marvin to prove himself right on the last draft.

Put a solid hard-nosed defensive center into the mix with the exact team we have right now (Zaza as backup) and we compete for the 8 spot next year...IMHO

Quote:

Of Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Marvin Williams, and Al Harrington...who is the best basketball player?

Al by far...and all we talk about is trading him. We HAVE capspace?!? H#LL the guy is 26 years old! It's all because deep down we all know that our bull-headed GM has to showcase Marvin to prove himself right on the last draft.

Put a solid hard-nosed defensive center into the mix with the exact team we have right now (Zaza as backup) and we compete for the 8 spot next year...IMHO

He is the best offensively but he sucks on defense and I have never seen someone miss as many clutch freethrows.

Quote:

Do you see the problems with that scenario though?

#1. big if factor on finding a solid hard-nosed center

#2. Signing Al prevents us from signing a good free agent for several years.

#3. You said it yourself. If we accomplished objectives 1 and 2 then we still are only competing for a low playoff seed. We would be in that position for 4-5 more years.

Well I'll give you that...but my primary point is that everybody seems to be in agreement that our best forward has to go?

JS may block some shots and be better defensively but he has no inside moves. He MAY develop some...and so may MW, but we have a guy who already has them.

• Premium Member

Quote:

A guy name Magic Johnson was the leading scorer for the showtime laker. And so was a fellow by the name of Isiah.

Let's get to the truth of the matter shall we...

That guy named Magic got about 13 apg.. Played on one of the most talented teams (position by position) ever assembled... And barely led the Lakers in scoring. JJ is not in the same class or situation.

The guy name Isiah only led the Pistons in scoring 1 time in the Dumar (championship Years). Every other time it was either Adrain Dantley or Joey D who led the Pistions in scoring. Moreover, JJ is not the same type of Gaurd as Isiah.

When you face the truth of the Matter, JJ is not that kinda guard. JJ is more of a 2 guard who can handle the ball. He's sorta like Penny Hardaway mold.. Not Magic.. Not Isiah.

Quote:

Quote:

Let's get to the truth of the matter shall we...

That guy named Magic got about 13 apg.. Played on one of the most talented teams (position by position) ever assembled... And barely led the Lakers in scoring. JJ is not in the same class or situation.

The guy name Isiah only led the Pistons in scoring 1 time in the Dumar (championship Years). Every other time it was either Adrain Dantley or Joey D who led the Pistions in scoring. Moreover, JJ is not the same type of Gaurd as Isiah.

When you face the truth of the Matter, JJ is not that kinda guard. JJ is more of a 2 guard who can handle the ball. He's sorta like Penny Hardaway mold.. Not Magic.. Not Isiah.

By my count, Magic led the team in scoring 4 years in his career.

Isaiah led the Pistons 4 times as well. Man that Tripuka could score! As could Dumars, Dantley, and Terry Mills!

• Premium Member

Quote:

JJ is not in the same class or situation.

Moreover, JJ is not the same type of Gaurd as Isiah.

When you face the truth of the Matter, JJ is not that kinda guard. JJ is more of a 2 guard who can handle the ball. He's sorta like Penny Hardaway mold.. Not Magic.. Not

Isiah.

What does all of that gargage have to do with your statement below?

"but like I said before the season, you don't want your top scoring guy being your ball handler. It's a recipe for disaster"

• Premium Member

Because a scoring 2 guard should be free to move without the ball and without a consession of people putting defense on him.

Tell me if you really know the answer.

During Magic's day, was he double and tripled teamed when he had the ball?

During Isiah's day, was he double and tripled teamed when he had the ball??

If you watched during those days and are not just a stathead you would know that it was impossible for a team to double and triple Magic or Isiah all game long because of the players that they had around them. Like I said, Isiah only led the Pistons in scoring in one of the Dumars years.

Isiah had several people who he could pass the ball to who could take it and score. Not to mention that Joey D. was a decent ball handler himself.

Magic was just too good at finding the open man. And the Lakers were not really a halfcourt team.

JJ is in a situation that is not like Magic's or Isiah's. I think where BK wants to go is a place where he has 4 ball handlers on the floor.. But we're not going to get there no time soon.

• Premium Member

Quote:

During Isiah's day, was he double and tripled teamed when he had the ball??

If you watched during those days and are not just a stathead you would know that it was impossible for a team to double and triple Magic or Isiah all game long because of the players that they had around them.

I beg to differ. Obviously a defensive oriented big man is a major need as well but they are needs 1.A and 1.B as far as I am concerned. The Hawks need both to become a complete team and to have any realistic chance of being successful when they eventually make it into the playoffs.