• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Do we think Smoove/MW can't coexist?

CBAreject

There is a lot of Smoove vs MW trade discussion. I realize we might be wondering which is more valuable in the case we have a great trade opportunity for a 20/10 PF. However, I do wonder if we no longer envision them as a 3/4 combination.

MW is clearly a SF, so the question is, do we think Smoove doesn't project as a 4?

I'm torn. I think Smoove is a great player at the 3 if you have JJ at the 2 and a PG who can shoot. I think he can play PF in the future, but I believe he'll always be a little slight at that position.

I also believe that we need another all-star level player to pair with JJ. I believe that player should be a big man. I do not believe that player is Josh Smith or Marvin Williams. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Josh Smith is working harder these days. He's going to come back with even more muscle next year. He shows flashes of being a cornerstone with streaks of double/doubles. I'm not convinced though.

I still believe MWil is going to look a lot like James Worthy in 6 years...but James Worthy was a 3rd option, albeit on a great team. An 18 ppg smooth shooting SF paired with a smooth-passing 20 ppg shooting guard is not enough to carry a team to the promised land.

I guess my conclusion is that we need an all-star level big. If we have that, MW + Chill + Smoove is probably a log jam at the 3, even if Chill plays a lot of 2. I love Smoove's ranginess too much, so I would lean towards trading Marvin in the right deal. Doesn't have to be this year. I'd like to see Marv show flashes of greatness next year, so that we'd have a HUGE trading piece to get that star player.

• Premium Member

I think that there will be problems altogether... BK has done a horrible job finding positions.

Let's say we do trade Al and in return we get a bonafide PF.

Let's say Indiana gave us JO for Al/Chillz (Just for argument sake)...

And for argument sake, let's say that JO's game translated perfectly with Zaza's game....

And to make it more interesting, let's say in the draft we got:

Eric Williams and Rodney Carney and in FAcy we get Jackie Butler..

Well, then that means that we do indeed have Marvin and Smoove at the 3 position...

Marvin fans will always blame Smoove for marvin's underdevelopment when the truth of the matter is that Smoove is just better and has more fire.

i think smoove is most definitely a pf

i'd rather play him at center than small forward

he's so much better when he's playing at those 2 than at sf

and yes, they can definitely coexist...the reason for deciding amongst those 2 if that indy would want one of them for jermaine, not slim or ivey or even chill

marvin/smoove has great forward combo potential and the jj/marvin/smoove trio could be amazing

btw, smoove could be that 20/10 pf...it's not unrealistic to think he could grow into a 20/10/5/3/3 player

Well, I know many here(including me) think Smoove's future is at the 4, but Woody still refuses to play him offensively at all in the 4 spot, and only sparingly defensively..Against New York, our interior defense was absolutely awful, and I see Smoove hanging out on the perimeter guarding Jalen Rose..This was way before he was in foul trouble..So, I really can't understand managements thinking on the subject.

I think they are mentioned together because they are some of our most valuable trading commodoties. If we are going to bring in a JO type of player we'll have to give up something good to get him.

Who else has value equal to those two players that we can trade?

JJ isn't likely to be traded.

To me it depends on how/if they develop. If they continue to drift around the perimeter they'll never be power forwards. If they both settle on being perimeter players then A) there's no way they can coexist and B) we're only getting half of their productive capability.

I think BK's vision of having them both play "forward" at the same time is that they both will develop an outside AND inside game, not that one will develop inside and the other outside. I think his vision assumes they both become complete players so essentially we would have two 3s AND two 4s on the court at the same time. Presently, they're both poor offensively inside the paint. Neither is a great perimeter defender, but capable. They have different abilities with interior defense, but both show promise. If nothing else, both of them seem to understand the value of the defensive end, even if they aren't up to speed with the NBA game yet.

If each of them can be more well rounded, then its a duo that can't be defended easily at all, and they can play alonside each other. If they continue as they currently play, it just won't work.

Wow can they exist??

What a dumb question, that's only for people who don't watch Hawks games and don't know [censored] except the fact that they play together in Atlanta Hawks.

Marvin and Smoove are not the same in fact if you put Marvin and Jsmoove together you would get a complete package player and not duplication

Of course they can exist

What's dumb is misreading the question, thinking I'd asked "Can they exist?"

You go on to chide me for it, and then you fill the rest of your post with comma splices and run-on sentences. Well done. Keep pointing your finger at all you encounter, accusing them of being "dumb". That way, people will assume you are smarter than most.

Quote:

btw, smoove could be that 20/10 pf...it's not unrealistic to think he could grow into a 20/10/5/3/3 player

Are you kidding me? Duncan and Garnett have never done that - what makes you think Smoove can? Unless you are talking about 5 fouls, 3 turnovers and 3 dunks per game.

Unbelivable.

AS of right now SMOOVE is a upincoming star if we are comparing him and MARVIN, SMOOVE will be a star in this league long before MARVIN will, he has shown us nothing that says he warrants the pick now I am not for trading him but they can work out together but CHILL is going to start over MARVIN until MARVIN shows signs of being ready to play starter minutes.