• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I guess some people cannot accept the rookie wall

Admin

which is pretty sad. I keep reading from a select group of people how Marvin looks so bad and people seem to disappointed that he isnt getting any better. You guys need to realize that he is a young kid who wasnt even a starter in college. Its not like he was a 3-4 year starter in college (and even those guys hit a wall). Give him a break please. Lets just lower his expectations for this year and realize that even Kobe and T-Mac were mediocre their first seasons.

realistic around here for Marvin and even Salim this year, just as they were not realistic for Smoove or Chillz last year. Honestly, I think it is INCREDIBLE that Marvin and Smoove are as good as they are right now when you realize that Marvin won't be 20 until June 19 and Smoove just turned 20 on Dec 5. Both guys are going to get a LOT better and be corner stones of this franchise for a long time to come. Honestly, the more I watch our young guys play, unless we get a young, All Star caliber big man in return like Bosh or Jermaine O'Neal, I wouldn't trade JJ, Smoove, Marvin or Chillz.

Traceman...I somewhat agree with you. I guess Lebron and CP have kind of spoiled fans by coming in with guns blazing and ready to go. But potential is still just potential until they actually do it, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. A good PG could make things a lot better next year. We'll see.

I agree there will be the ocassional lebron or carmelo every so often, but it is rare that you see a 19 year old kid come in and make a big splash his first year espeacially if the 19 year old was hidden at UNC behind another NBA forward and seniors. I mean i guess some people like to fantasize every number 2 pick should be a lebron or carmelo anthony. Anyhow would his playing time not being that high at UNC and not too high this season its almost like he came in straight out of high school. Man people said this same crap about josh smith last year and look at the strides he made. Look at jermaine oneal and Tmac. Even kobe wasn't spectacular his first few years in league. Im very happy with jsmoove, jj, chill and marvin as well and if you have been watching the games you can see why.

I don't think its a rookie wall at all with Marvin..Its not like he is depended upon to play heavy minutes..Its not a rookie wall that makes him pick up fouls so quickly..Marvin looks exactly the same now as he did earlier in the year..I don't see any difference at all in his game. Last year at this time Smoove and Chillz were playing alot of minutes and playing much better than Marvin is now..

I am not trying to bash Marvin, but I also don't think he needs excuses made for his lack of progression..

Quote:

Marvin looks exactly the same now as he did earlier in the year..I don't see any difference at all in his game.

By earlier in the year, are you referring to the beginning of the season, or are you referring to a month ago? Do you really think that the November-January Marvin was the same guy as the January-March Marvin?

I know I'm a biased fan, but I've seen improvement. I've been extremely frustrated with his play in the last couple of weeks, but before that I was enjoying watching him steadily grow more and more comfortable and more and more involved seemily every week of the season.

I don't know if I buy into the rookie wall or not, but I think rookies are succeptible to having bigger slumps and having slumps more often than seasoned players. Hopefully some time away will allow him to refocus and get energized for a final push at the end of the season.

In the last 5 games, he is averaging 6 ppg and 4.8 rbg while shooting 33%. We were 1-4 in those games. In the 10 games before that, he was averaging 11.3 ppg and 5.4 rbg while shooting 52%. We were 5-5 in those games.

While I think Chillz' injury was the biggest reason for out recent slump, I think Marvin's decline in production has hurt as well. Hopefully, Marvin will bounce back and play well at the end of the season as many rookies do after they hit the wall. I think it would be great for his confidence.

• Moderators

What bothers me is that all his offense comes from open jumpers and put backs/slams. Which is a good thing but most players in the league can do that. I keep thinking I'll see him take someone off the dribble or post someone up or shoot over someone but it never really happens. I realize it takes time to learn these things but I'm ready for a glimpse of them.

He's gone from 5.5 PPG/4.0 RPG in November to 6.2 PPG/4.6 RPG in December, to 8.5 PPG/4.8 RPG in January, to 9.3 PPG/4.6 RPG in February, to 8.6 PPG/5.9 RPG in March.

There are some who just aren't willing to see the improvement he has made.