• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If we win the #1 pick ...

Lascar78

... who do you pick as of today?

The reason I ask is because it seemed to me that there was basically a concensus that Aldridge would be the man.

But I just played the ESPN lottery simulator. The hawks won on attempt #2 ... and selected Joaquim Noah.

I didn't realize that he had come up on mock drafts so fast. I would probably have Aldridge > Noah > Splitter > Ty Thomas, with Bargnani as an outsider depending on just how good he looks. Same for Splitter, especially with the buyout issues.

I think most here have been assuming that the top big or two will be gone by the time we have to pick, with the choice between reaching down to get a lesser big, or picking another position.

So the question is who would you pick if we do get lucky for once in our history and why?

I go aldridge because he has well rounded defensive skills, as well as a killer hook, and all around quick feet. Both he and Noah need to bulk up.

It's interesting that they basically have the Hawks taking Noah whether they pick 1 or 5. If the Hawks were in a position to take LaMarcus Aldridge, I think they would do it. However, Joakim Noah could very well be the second guy on their board. He's got the kind of all around skills, length, and athleticism that will make Billy Knight drool.

LaMarcus Aldridge is on a little higher plane, IMO. He's not as tall, but he is long and athletic in his own right. I think he's got a bit more bulk on him that will allow him to withstand some of the physical play in the post, whereas Noah is probably going to be put on a weight gaining program once in the league.

all of this....is why I want us to trade/package the pick.

the guys at the top aren't 'stand-outs' in my opinion. furthermore, they don't fit any 'need' that we have; couple that with the fact that we are moving more towards a team that should draft for definite needs than potential (I would argue that we were not last year, or at least, not nearly so much) and you can see why this draft is perhaps the weakest since Mike Miller was the 'star' of the ?'00? draft?

there's no one of 'star power' where we're going to likely be picking..we need to package the pick.

simply put...none of these players excite me.

well aldridge and noah certainly fit needs of defensive big men. Whether or not they are stars in the making is a separate story. I wouldn't even consider trading it if we can get aldridge personally. If we stay somewhere in the 4-8 range and the top bigs are gone, it might be worth it to trade rather than reaching down for the next best big or taking another SF.

I don't know, I think both can play center in the NBA. They are not Pat Ewing type centers, more the light Marcus Camby like centers, but PF/C's nonetheless. If we wait for a legit pure heavy taller than 7ft C who can play no other position, we might be waiting for a long long time

Why don't they?

Joakim Noah is almost 7'0" tall. LaMarcus Aldridge is around 6'11" tall. We are looking at a league where Amare Stoudemire and Dwight Howard are playing significant minutes at the center position and are arguably the best players down low in the NBA.

This idea that we are going to be able to find a 7'1", 280 lbs monster that has quick feet and the athleticism to play on a running team needs to go out the window, because it isn't happening.

Quote:

Why don't they?

Joakim Noah is almost 7'0" tall. LaMarcus Aldridge is around 6'11" tall. We are looking at a league where Amare Stoudemire and Dwight Howard are playing significant minutes at the center position and are arguably the best players down low in the NBA.

This idea that we are going to be able to find a 7'1", 280 lbs monster that has quick feet and the athleticism to play on a running team needs to go out the window, because it isn't happening.

one piece at a time baby!

for me it's less about height and much more about style of play. I don't see either as being a 'go to scorer' and yet I think both are learning to 'need the ball.' I'd say that Aldridge has less of this in him than Noah (and I rarely trust guys who 'truly come on' this late in the season)...

honestly, with the team built as it currently is/ is headed, I want a big, athletic big who will GUARD the paint. I could care less about how well they can or cannot score...

Then, Aldridge and Noah are two you will want. They are long, athletic big men that are tremendous shot blockers. Both average over 2 blocked shots per game. Joakim Noah is going to be a better version of Tyson Chandler in the NBA, IMO.

Quote:

They are long, athletic big men that are tremendous shot blockers. Both average over 2 blocked shots per game.

If they are tremendous shot blockers averaging 2 blocks per game then what does that make Shelden, who blocks 3.8 per game?

Quote:

for me it's less about height and much more about style of play. I don't see either as being a 'go to scorer' and yet I think both are learning to 'need the ball.' I'd say that Aldridge has less of this in him than Noah (and I rarely trust guys who 'truly come on' this late in the season)...

honestly, with the team built as it currently is/ is headed, I want a big, athletic big who will GUARD the paint. I could care less about how well they can or cannot score...

I agree 100%. The Hawks need an enforcer down low, not a finesse player. What they really need is a young Mourning, someone with that type of attitude.

OK...well this doesn't apply to the #1 pick...but for a lower 1st round pick (say if we traded down), there will be a great preview here in the ATL this weekend.

Sheldon Williams versus Big Baby Davis - in the paint!

I'm betting BBD owns him, but Duke has a little better overall talent and they get every call, so they'll likely win.

At this point I'll have to say I like Aldridge then Noah with our pick. We'll see after the measurements come out, but Noah seems like a difference maker. Perhaps not a traditional dominant center, but definitely a high energy guy that would cause a lot of problems for the slow plodding bigs.

If we picked up another big later on in the draft, see Big Baby, we could really have the making of a dominant front court. Also, would like to see us pick up a Mo Williams or Speedy Claxton in free agency.

be wary of those underclassmen who show up (truly) for the first time in the national spotlight only as the tourney advances.

you have to keep in mind that they're getting more press because their teams are still alive, and, quite frankly, there's only 16 teams to 'talk' about at this point...