• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What the Hawks will do, what the Hawks should do.

Diesel

• Premium Member

What the Hawks will do

The Hawks will draft Tyrus Thomas (if he comes out). He's a BK guy moreso than any other player ever drafted.

What the Hawks should do

Take a chance on J. Noah of UF. Noah is not the athlete that TT is but Noah has the size potential.

I feel that both players have a better mentality than Larmarcus Aldridge who redefined bithc against LSU. I really see no difference in TT and Smoove.

If we do get TT, we may consider finding a trade for Marvin. A trade that may yield a big man or a competent PG.

I would be interested to see if Marvin could be traded for the rights to Marcus Williams.

That would be an interesting team:

Marcus Williams/JJ/Smoove/TT/Zaza.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

What the Hawks will do

The Hawks will draft Tyrus Thomas (if he comes out). He's a BK guy moreso than any other player ever drafted.

What the Hawks should do

Take a chance on J. Noah of UF. Noah is not the athlete that TT is but Noah has the size potential.

I feel that both players have a better mentality than Larmarcus Aldridge who redefined bithc against LSU. I really see no difference in TT and Smoove.

If we do get TT, we may consider finding a trade for Marvin. A trade that may yield a big man or a competent PG.

I would be interested to see if Marvin could be traded for the rights to Marcus Williams.

That would be an interesting team:

Marcus Williams/JJ/Smoove/TT/Zaza.

That teams would suck. TT and Smoove are the same player.

Marvin has a better all around game than Thomas. And how many young players and rookies do you want on this squad? We would be a lottery team for another 2 years.

Like I said in another thread, we get two veterans, trade for Francis, pick up Kelvin Cato

Francis/Salim

JJ/Childress

Smoove/Marvin

Aldridge/Batista

Zaza/Cato

both players, but especially Noah, need to remain in school.

Likely, and sadly, neither will. With this draft being 'so weak,' with it being the first one affected by the newly imposed age-limit on hs jumping you'll see several guys come out who clearly shouldn't.

It's weird...looking through the ESPN list of players who are/have declared, then comparing that list to the top 100 projeted right now, several aren't even on there...

which begs the question...who are they listening to?!

I like Thomas a lot, but simply don't see how he would 'fit' on this team. For me, a long-time proponent of stockpiling talent while rebuilding a young team (see Memphis, and even Chicago, as the 'best' models of this), I don't see why we'd continue to draft 'forwards' (which both Noah and Thomas are ~ i.e. I have a hard time even considering them 'hyrbrid-centers') unless we're quite sure that we're not oging to resign Al.

Even so, I don't get it. I am one of the (few?) who think Childress is best suited as a sf, thus even in losing Al, we 'have' three 'forwards' in Chill, Smoove, and Marvin. All young. Why add another one to the list that can't even masquerade as a center?

my 'desires' as they stand right now (in order)

a) Trade down and get multiple picks/a lower pick in this round and a future first for next year with little protection (would necessitate trading with a 'good' team that won't need all of the lotto/top 7 protection clauses). Because if we don't acquire a pick for next year's draft...

b) if they'd accept it (and we can 'legally' do it) give the pick to phoenix, as we're going to have to next year most likely regardless)

c) package the pick with a trade (can we trade players with expiring contracts, like Al (and his Bird rights [not true bird rights as I know we don't have those with him either] to higher money in staying with a 'team') prior to the draft?

• Premium Member

Actually, i agree that both should stay in school... But as you pointed out, the temptation to come out is just too great.

If they do come out, we should get Noah instead of Thomas. If we take Thomas... Then maybe we should look for a PG.

I also agree there is no difference in Thomas and Smoove other than Length and mentality. I think Thomas will be a longer version of Smoove that knows how to get his position in the post.

In a few years, I believe Thomas will be a Pf in the league.

My feeling on Smoove is that he will make a fine Sf and a terrible Pf. He doesn't have any of the tools of a PF and you neutralize his strength as a shot blocker by making him a PF. Most of the time, opposing Pfs (the ones with a low post game) laugh when Smoove is playing defense on them.. They know they can get their spots.. and they are not concerned with Smoove blocking their shots because a post player will not allow enough separation for Smoove to take off. It will be body to body and they will overpower Smoove for the score.

This is not a slight on Smoove, it's just a realization that his best talent right now is help defense coming from the wing.

I think TT is different. I think he's a shot blocker too, but he also has the muscle & footwork to play the post defense.

I also agree with T...

We need to keep some vets around.

For that purpose, I would resign Al if he's reasonable.

Good analysis inmy estimation...and yes I partly say that because we're mostly in agreement.

as you said, I believe that TT will come out, and that he will be used primarily (or be if you prefer those words) as pf. That's his game, his skill. he seems to like the paint well enough though I am slightly concerned (for no good reason) that he didn't receive more hype coming out of HS...strange to see what he's doing this year and not have him have been a more highly touted grad.

We might even be fine with Smoove/TT at the forwards, though if we do that i'd prefer (and I'm sure you'll likely jump for joy at this) to find some trade for Marvin and retain Al. We need the vet leadership and we need someone who can play in the post on offense. If Alwill return at a reasonable price, even if we are to trade him in a year or so, then someone of the 'four' forwards would need to go...Smoove, Williams, TT (be newly drafted), or Al (be newly resigned).

there simply isn't enough pt to play/develop them all.

Quote:

Good analysis inmy estimation...and yes I partly say that because we're mostly in agreement.

as you said, I believe that TT will come out, and that he will be used primarily (or be if you prefer those words) as pf. That's his game, his skill. he seems to like the paint well enough though I am slightly concerned (for no good reason) that he didn't receive more hype coming out of HS...strange to see what he's doing this year and not have him have been a more highly touted grad.

We might even be fine with Smoove/TT at the forwards, though if we do that i'd prefer (and I'm sure you'll likely jump for joy at this) to find some trade for Marvin and retain Al. We need the vet leadership and we need someone who can play in the post on offense. If Alwill return at a reasonable price, even if we are to trade him in a year or so, then someone of the 'four' forwards would need to go...Smoove, Williams, TT (be newly drafted), or Al (be newly resigned).

there simply isn't enough pt to play/develop them all.

Agreed. Noah, Thomas and Aldridge all have their warts and all will need some time to develop.

I have actually been quite impressed by Davis. I doubt he ever becomes a star but he would be a great guy to bring in when you need some points in the paint. With his girth he might be able to play center.

if Davis adheres to his stated plan of a) returning to school, and b) dropping another 25 lbs (he lost something similar to that last offseason) then I believe he could give Oden serious competition at next year's top spot.

There's a note here as well: the NBA preseason/rookie camps start in what, early July, with all the draft stuff and jetting around, his ability to drop such weight prior to reporting to rookie camp (if he went pro) would be much tougher than it would be if he returned to school and had the next 4+ months to devote to the weight loss and training.

From what I can tell, he could truly be a player in the league, somehwat like a barkely or brand (with his girth, agility, and willingness to mix it up in the paint)...but he simply HAS to trim down some more before he can start the 'true upswing' of realizing his potential...

possibly a VERY good player though, like his agility and soft hands more than anything...and kudos to whomever pointed out that he seems 'ready' whenever he receives the ball. great point.

• Moderators

Quote:

if Davis adheres to his stated plan of a) returning to school, and b) dropping another 25 lbs (he lost something similar to that last offseason) then I believe he could give Oden serious competition at next year's top spot.

Because of the difference in height, I can't see that under any scenario.

has anyone really seen enough of oden to make this claim? he remains a product of great speculation and uncertainty...plus he might even elect to stay (no idea what his family situation is like, though I do know that he's going to OSU iwth his AAU coaches son, and reportedly a good friend of his).

Davis has some major skills and a VERY ready NBA body.

• Moderators

If Oden was in the draft this year he would be a #1 overall for sure. Davis isn't considered a potential lottery pick at all. I'm not sure I can envision a scenario where Davis moves up that much and Oden drops down that much. Freaking McRoberts is considered a mid-lottery pick because of his height. Oden would have to really suck to drop from the top spot, IMO.

Quote:

If Oden was in the draft this year he would be a #1 overall for sure. Davis isn't considered a potential lottery pick at all. I'm not sure I can envision a scenario where Davis moves up that much and Oden drops down that much...

I think you're pretty much right here AHF. Most all NBA folks would take Oden over Davis. That said, If I were putting together a team to go against Oden, Davis might be a real handy asset to have. My gut feeling is - that if all goes well for Davis (weight wise and all) he can be a solid inside force in the league for awhile. No real superstart potential - but good enough to give his team a chance to win (if the others are on their games).

If I were Davis I'd come out this year for sure. Maybe even steal a laptop. Anything to get down far enough to get on a good team smirk.gif

Quote:

There's a note here as well: the NBA preseason/rookie camps start in what, early July, with all the draft stuff and jetting around, his ability to drop such weight prior to reporting to rookie camp (if he went pro) would be much tougher than it would be if he returned to school and had the next 4+ months to devote to the weight loss and training.

From what I can tell, he could truly be a player in the league, somehwat like a barkely or brand (with his girth, agility, and willingness to mix it up in the paint)...but he simply HAS to trim down some more before he can start the 'true upswing' of realizing his potential...

possibly a VERY good player though, like his agility and soft hands more than anything...and kudos to whomever pointed out that he seems 'ready' whenever he receives the ball. great point.

He was the SEC player of the year. Why would he stay in school? Staying could only drop his stock.

Quote:

his stock is not that high right now, there are serious concerns about his weight and height, thus, more than many other players, he wil ahve to prove himself...

Trust me it will be easier for him to lose that weight on the predraft workout circuit then it will be in the long off season before the LSU training camp.

Any agent worth 2 cents would have him 20 lbs lighter before Chicago and 30 lbs lighter before the june draft.

Quote:

has anyone really seen enough of oden to make this claim?

I've seen 2 or 3 of his games over the last two seasons, and I'm convinced. But much more importantly the NBA scouts and college coaches who have followed Oden for years have pretty much come to a consensus that the guy is a landslide #1 prospect in his class, a landslide #1 in any draft he enters, and a legitimate once in a generation kind of post prospect. Could he be a bust? Sure. But at this point I don't think anyone expects him to bust, and I don't think anyone would choose another player before him. Davis would have to lose his weight and dominate college like Shaq did to enter the discussion.

I admit, I didn't see Garnett in HS...but who was the last HS big man that really had an impact? Curry, Chandler, Diop all spring ot mind...and it took them SEVERAL years.

Oden should be thankful of the age-limit in terms of long-term marketability and skill development.

Oden's hype goes way beyond that of Curry, Chandler and Diop. None of those guys had been talked about like Oden has. Oden has been THE guy since Lebron left school.

His body is NBA ready and he's an unselfish all around player who understands the game, is a good passer and defender and dominates when he plays.

OJ Mayo is not better. Maybe "as good" on the HS level, but not better.

Quote:

Oden should be thankful of the age-limit in terms of long-term marketability and skill development.

I think we should all be thankful. It should be clear after a year at Ohio St. if he really is what he's supposed to be.