• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What about Chillz?

Diesel

• Premium Member

There have been many raging debates about Smoove vs. Marvin.. But another thought is what about Chillz.. Where does he sit in the future of the Hawks? Is he going to be a bench player? Why?

When I watch Chillz, I see a player with a lot of skills and good BB IQ. He works hard. He plays good defense. He makes good passes. He has good handles. Skillwise, he does just about everything well. Young Scottie Pippen...

But here on Hawksquawk, I think he gets penalized often because he's not AI.

Let's be honest..

Chillz' best position is Sf. Even though he shoots a very good percentage from outside...

So the question..

Where does Chillz fit in?

I hate to say it cause' I really like Chillz, but I think he benefits this team most coming off the bench. He adds so much energy and intensity when he does that. Even towards the end of last season, I don't think he played as good as he's playing now on both ends of the floor. Unless Marvin makes no strides this offseason or we draft another PF/SF, I'd rather see Chillz off the bench.

Actually, I think he's the perfect 'stabilizer' as a 5th starter on a good squad. Think of Bowen in SA (granted, that's not a fair comparison). Off the bench, Chillz doesn't 'wow' you or possess that one skill that would make him valuable as a bench sparkplug.

to me, he's best used as the fill in the gap/ glue starter with JJ and someone playing pf...

• Premium Member

I think he would probably be better starting too..

However, we have a whole lot of Sf types..

Imagine..

if we were to luck out and get Marcus Williams and for argument let's say a big man like Wilcox..

Our lineup would possibly be:

Marcus Williams/JJ/JC/Smoove/Wilcox.

out of neccessity.

Out of position are Smoove and Wilcox.

• Moderators

I think Chillz would flourish either as a glue-guy starter or as an energy player off the bench who can play a couple different positions. So far, he has clearly been more comfortable coming off the bench.

• Premium Member

I think Chill's role has been affected more by JJ than anything he brings to the court. Clearly the guy's got skill and is great at doing all of the little things. He's exactly what someone else was mentioning here...a glue guy in the starting lineup.

But with JJ being such a viable answer at the 2, it forces Chill over to the 3...which may be a better fit for him. But like I was saying before the trade deadline, that puts Chill into the AL/Smoove/Marvin mix giving him even less wiggle room.

Ultimately, a decision will have to be made. I don't like the idea of taking a guy #6 with the expectation of him becoming a career 6th man...especially not 2 years into his NBA career. It's like we're setting the ceiling for him right from the jump...and we are doing it moreso because of personnel makeup rather than his actual talent.

I think he can handle either role. He can play more than one position - so realistically he can get about as many minutes off the bench as he would as a starter.

That said, I see no reason for Chillz to be 'assigned' the bench role to protect other player(s). If he's doing the best, let him start.

Personally, I think a guy like Chillz would benefit HUGELY from playing with a savvy PG. He would get the wide open outside shot more on the drive and dish from the PG, and his movement without the ball would be a big plus for a great passer.

Quote:

yeah but he struggled mightily early in the season when he was a starter, and thrived as soon as he was relegated to the bench. As of today, Chill seems to want to be a sixth man, which works great for our team

Agree it is hard to find guys who are willing to come of the bench talented like Chill.

It's just a plus for us.