• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Al Has Officially Replaced JT As The Board's Scape

Traceman

• Premium Member

Quote:

You could be right. People will complain if they think he is taking minutes from Marvin or Smoove, even if he outperforms them.

That could be related to the fact that:

1. The Hawks have lost three times as many games as they've won since Harrington was traded for and asked to be the 1st or 2nd option.

2. Marvin and Smoove are 20, both have greater potential, and are still learning the game, while Al's talent is commonly agreed to have been maxed out.

3. Al is about to receive a contract of about $10M/year...

If thinking like that is scapegoating, I'm guilty as charged.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Walter

...should we continue to lose? A player, coach, GM? I'm just curious. I was a big JT fan and thought we got too little for him, however, hard to rebuild if you don't earn a high draft pick and hard to do that with talent...I understand the move.

Al? I don't blame Al for my willingness to lose him and desire to trade him. I blame BK. He drafts 4 forwards with our top 4, 1st rd picks in the last 3 years? WTF?!? You can't help but want to open up room for them, not overpay to fill the position, and fill other more necessary and harder to fill positions.

In short, BK is my "scapegoat". The guy is more intent upon proving his unproven philosophy than building a winning TEAM. Rebuilding was smart but obvious, doing so with 5 starting or potentially starting quality forwards in lue of a starting quality PG, true Pf, and a decent BU Pf/center is scapegoat-worthy.

W

because they are/were responsible for acquiring the coaches and players we have had since we started rebuilding. If they had chosen better coaches and players, we would probably be better. Bottom line, I don't have a problem if people want to blame the GM for our failure to win because he is being paid to build a winner.

For ME, I think the jury is still out on BK. I would not have went about rebuilding the way he did. Still, I think he deserves a little more time to make his vision come true. If he can acquire the big man/men I think we need this off season and get a PG in free agency, I'll be on board.

• Premium Member

Surely, you don't really hold Al accountable for the losses over the past 2 yrs. We traded away every piece of veteran and we have the youngest team in the league. If we had Kobe, we still wouldn't have many more wins than we have now.

It is really difficult to know for sure what you what have done because one decision likely would have affected other decisions. For instance, if I drafted one player in lieu of another, it would have changed a lot of things such as needs, chemistry, team record, drafting position, etc. That said, here goes.

First, I would have hired Mike Fratello or maybe Eric Musselman because I preferred a coach with at least some head coaching experience.

Second, I would have drafted Josh Howard first (and Leandro Barbosa second) over Boris Diaw. I never warmed to the scouting reports that called Boris "too passive" or "unagressive" and I thought that Howard and Barbosa would have made excellent backcourt mates for JT.

Third, I would not have traded JT. I understand why BK did it but I would not have made that deal. Perhaps it is because JT was my favorite Hawk but I thought JT was signed to a reasonable deal for what he can do.

Fourth, I would have chosen Deng or Iguodala over Childress at #6. I doubt there are many people ANYWHERE who would have chosen Chillz over Deng or Iggy in the same situation.

Those 4 things are things that BK has done that I have disagreed with and that I would have DEFINITELY done differently. That said, I have concurred with a lot of decisions he has made as well. Those are:

One, I agreed with the decision to trade Reef/Theo for basically #17 and caproom (I would have LOVED to have kept Sheed but I doubt he would have resigned). Many say BK didn't get enough but if that is the best that was out there, it is okay with me.

Two, I agreed with the decision to trade Jax for Al. No brainer if you ask me.

Three, I agreed with the decision to draft Smoove at #17. I would not have been upset if he had taken Jameer Nelson there but with Smoove still on the board there, I think he had to take that chance.

Four, I listed Paul and Marvin as 1a and 1b after Bogut was taken as my preference. I can't fault BK for taking Marvin when I don't know for sure that I would have taken Paul either. If I decided to go PG, I was DEFINITELY taking Paul over Williams though.

As a final note, the only other thing that I can think of is BK's decision to resign Collier and not Pryzbilla. I said all off season that I woud have MUCH preferred to keep Pryzbilla and that is true. I think he brought a lot more things to the table that we needed than Collier did. However, after talking to BK at the season ticketholder meeting, I must say that I understand why he didn't offer Pryz a guaranteed contract. It will be interesting to see this offseason if BK goes after Pryz now that the "issue" may not be such an issue after all.

Giving Nazr away for a 2nd, drafting Ivey over Duhon(Ivey wasn't even a point guard in college, Bk seems to have complete disrespect for the point guard position, thinking most anyone can play there..see Diaw, Ivey, JJ), and my biggest beef,never getting any interior defense..BK seems to have no use for defense at all.

in the 2nd round, it is kind of hard for me to get upset with BK for not selecting him and I was never a huge Duhon fan. As for me, I don't know who I would have selected with that pick. I remember liking Ricky Minard around draft time but he was more SG than PG.

As for Nazr, I thought letting him go so cheaply was a mistake but if I remember correctly, that was done to create enough capspace to make a run at K-Mart. K-Mart is not worth what he is getting paid but a healthy K-Mart at PF and Al at SF would have been pretty solid.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Surely, you don't really hold Al accountable for the losses over the past 2 yrs. We traded away every piece of veteran and we have the youngest team in the league. If we had Kobe, we still wouldn't have many more wins than we have now.

Completely accountable? No.