• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

When BK kept drafting small fowards

tmac13

Guest Walter

2ndly we need to solidly fill a position. Bargnani could be both (I'm anxious to see more about him).

Right now, I'd take Bargnani and be ecstatic! Bargnani will be a Pf in this league and will allow Josh to play the Sf. Moreover, Bargnani brings skill versatility, something this team lacks as a result of BK's positional versatility mad scientist experiment.

The cold facts are that we need to trade MW NOW. He has no positional future with us unless he outplays JS for the 3 (not going to happen) or we get a 2-way dominant center (not going to happen) allowing us to be undersized and under-skilled at the Pf position.

We HAVE to get this offseason right and without trading MW we won't have the capitol to make the changes we need to.

W

Here's a excerpt from the Nike Hoop Summit writeup on DraftExpress. This guy might be a good 2nd rounder if he lasts that long.

-----------------

Mouhamed Saer Sene, 7-0, 230 lbs, Center, Senegal, 5/12/86

15 points, 6-8 FG, 3-4 FT, 9 blocks, 6 rebounds

Sene put on an awesome display, tying Kevin Garnett’s Hoop

Summit record of 9 blocks in the game. Though the official

stat sheet said 9 blocks, I counted 11, and various other

people we talked also counted more than 9. Three of them came on one possession, and he had a few on athletic wing Gerald Henderson. Considering that he’s only played basketball for acouple years, it is really hard to believe how good Sene’s anticipation skills are. On offense, he is quite raw, though he does have the ability to step outside and hit a 15 footer when left unguarded. Sene made one in the flow of the game, and also knocked down 3 of his 4 free throw attempts. Despite this, he lacks footwork in the post, and when trying to make a move, he just turns and puts up a hook on a prayer that it will go in. He did have one sequence where he did a drop step and ended up with a dunk, but this was the only time all week where he created for himself out of the post. Sene has good hands when catching the ball down low, and usually waits until the time is right before he goes up to dunk a ball. When rebounding, his hands didn’t seem as good, and he will have to work on using his body to get position, and anticipating the ball to catch it at the highest point in his jump.

Sene has everything physically that you could ask for in a center prospect. He stands a legit 7 feet tall, and his 230

pounds are well distributed throughout his frame. His combination of length and explosive leaping ability is jaw

dropping. Sene was the talk of all of the NBA scouts in attendance during the practices, and he was even more impressive during the game, though the U.S. team didn’t have any player who could match his combination of size and

athleticism. Centers with the tools he has to work with are

rare, and though he is raw at this point, he is young enough as to where he can develop a respectable offensive game. Sene doesn’t receive a whole lot of minutes with is team in Belgium right now, but his game is much more suited to the NBA style of play. He told DraftExpress after the game that he is considering entering the NBA draft this year, so it will be interesting to see if he does, and where he goes if he decides to declare. It’s hard to imagine him not getting some serious looks throughout the first round. European scouts we spoke with throughout the week claim he is at least two years older than his listed age, though, which seems to be a pretty common theme with African prospects.

Quote:

I don't care what you say. Detroit seems to be faring well with a 6'9 SF as 6'9 Center and a 6'11 perimeter oriented PF.

You proved the point - they only have one undersized player, the 6'9" center. Plus there is NO 6'9" player currently in the NBA that plays bigger then Ben Wallace. He is an exception tot he rule.

Theo has done well as a 6'9" center. He just hasn't won a championship but then neither have a lot of Hall of Famers.

And nobody had played Wallace at center until Dumars had the foresight to do it.

We all know the Hawks need a center. This talk about adjacent players is nonsense because nobody is suggesting the Hawks get an undersized center.

Theo has done o.k., but outside of that one year in Philly before he got injured and traded to the Hawks he hasn't exactly been a game changer or made a genuine contribution to a winning team. As such, I wouldn't consider him to be anything special.

I think people are talking in general about whether the Hawks can be successful with an undersized frontcourt - i.e., with Smoove and Marvin at the forwards.

I was advocating, along with others, that for that combo to be successful the Hawks are going to need a real banger in the post with some semblance of a post game on offense. Finding that guy obviously is easier said then done.

Quote:

I was advocating, along with others, that for that combo to be successful the Hawks are going to need a real banger in the post with some semblance of a post game on offense. Finding that guy obviously is easier said then done.

I agree. However a Smoove-Marvin combo isn't really undersized since both are big for small forwards, so it will be easier for them to match up on switches.

Quote:

That Olajuwan guy did pretty well as an undersized center. Barkley did pretty well as an undersized player. And so did Rodman and James Worthy, and Elton Brand today

Ugh. Are you paying attention to what people are talking about? No one said one undersized player was bad. What we are discussing is TWO undersized playes playing next to each other.

Lets go through the guys you list:

Olajuwan - He was a center. He played next to 7'4" Ralph Sampson and later 6'10" Otis Thorpe, both power forwards. Neither were undersized.

Barley - Definitely undersized at power forward. That said, he is somewhat of an anomoly but he did play next to the likes of Moses Malone in Philly (Moses was only 6'10" but was a wide body and arguably not undersized for the time he entered the league) and played next to 6'10" Tom Chambers and 7'0" David West in Phoenix if I am not mistaken (can't really remember).

Rodman - He played power forward for the Bulls. The Bulls starting center was a 7', I think Longley or Perdue at the time. Again, neither were undersized (neither was 6'7" long armed Scottie Pippen at small forward).

Worthy - Worthy was a SMALL FORWARD, a 6'9" one at that. So he was in no way undersized.

Brand - Undersized in height but he is a wide body with long arms that helps compensate for his size. Moreover, he is lined up next to 7'0" Chris Kamen, who is not undersized for a center.

Quote:

Quote:

That Olajuwan guy did pretty well as an undersized center. Barkley did pretty well as an undersized player. And so did Rodman and James Worthy, and Elton Brand today

Ugh. Are you paying attention to what people are talking about? No one said one undersized player was bad. What we are discussing is TWO undersized playes playing next to each other.

Lets go through the guys you list:

Olajuwan - He was a center. He played next to 7'4" Ralph Sampson and later 6'10" Otis Thorpe, both power forwards. Neither were undersized.

Barley - Definitely undersized at power forward. That said, he is somewhat of an anomoly but he did play next to the likes of Moses Malone in Philly (Moses was only 6'10" but was a wide body and arguably not undersized for the time he entered the league) and played next to 6'10" Tom Chambers and 7'0" David West in Phoenix if I am not mistaken (can't really remember).

Rodman - He played power forward for the Bulls. The Bulls starting center was a 7', I think Longley or Perdue at the time. Again, neither were undersized (neither was 6'7" long armed Scottie Pippen at small forward).

Worthy - Worthy was a SMALL FORWARD, a 6'9" one at that. So he was in no way undersized.

Brand - Undersized in height but he is a wide body with long arms that helps compensate for his size. Moreover, he is lined up next to 7'0" Chris Kamen, who is not undersized for a center.

Good post. BUT that doesn't mean two undersized guys wouldn't work if they both had shot blocking abilities. Look at Phoenix. They don't really have a big man. Amare is only 1 inch tallent than what we have.

I believe if we got Tyrus Thomas we would be doing alright even though he's only 6'9

So we need a full size center. I agree....

Quote:

Quote:

[/indent]

Unless I missed something here, you are trying to show us that
two
undersized players beside each other is a problem. And the fix, if that undersized player is your PF, is to get a standard sized center.

Works for me. I mean, we do not have
two
undersized players beside each other providing we
can
get a full sized center. Unless you think Marvin and Chillz are undersized small forwards? I don't think either of them are undersized at the 3.

Smoove at the 4 with Chillz and Marvin at the 3 should be just fine after this draft...
in fact, after looking at the above post, chances are we are going to be much better than just fine in a couple of short years...hoo rah!!!!!!