• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks main need: PF or C?

Diesel

Can't really answer this because it depends in large measure on who the specific player they bring in is. Basically what I want to see is a good front court. I think the biggest need a defensive minded big with some semblance of a low post game on offense. Whether that individual is a center or power forward is a secondary concern.

A lot really depends on the coaching staff and front office. If they think Marvin and Smoove together work as the starting forwards, then I think we desparately need a big man at center. If the front office sees Smoove and Marvin as small forwards and only part time power forwards, then we need a power forward ASAP.

• Premium Member

I agree.

I think if we bring in a PF who plays good defense and good help defense that Zaza suffices as C.

For instance, in the draft, LaMarcus Aldrige wouldn't be a bad pick if he could come in right away and play PF and be a dominant defensive force. The same is somewhat true for Tyrus Thomas. I think he'd be good help defense but I wonder if he could handle the likes of Rasheed Wallace and other big PFs.

I just don't think that there's much better in the way of Centers that we can get either in the draft, FAcy, or trade.

Longterm...if we are really going to compete in the paint (meaning be at least pretty good)...I think we need both. Zaza was a nice pickup but not a banger. A PF/Zaza combination would be better, but not the whole answer, IMHO.

However, since we can't realistically get both, I would vote for the PF now.

Guest Walter

We only have two positions filled, Sg and Sf. That's horrible when you consider our used draft capitol (3 lottery picks including next year's traded away, 17th pick, a likely 18-20th pick traded, and a 21st pick in Diaw traded.). BK better step up this offseason because he traded away the next one and the following one may begin the young player exodus from the Hawks if we do not become winners.

My take?

1) We need only a center I-F

We get a dominate 2-way center and play JS and MW at the 4 and 3 respectively...WON'T HAPPEN!!!

2) ...otherwise we need both.

Guest Walter

I like the Patrick O'Bryant kid. Barnani and Obryant would make me very happy. If Obryant is worth it he'll at least be in the lottery. Al Harrington trade to Minny for their 10th pick?

Lineup (with 2, 7'ers)?

O'Bryant

Bargnani

Josh Smith/MW

JJ/Childress

?

• Premium Member

and the combination of a dominant PF??

For instance and this is some hyperboyle but to prove my point.

If we could somehow trade for KG...

Don't you think that Zaza would be a sufficient C alongside KG as PF...

• Premium Member

Smoove has done nothing that PFs do except rebound and I think he does that less against dominant PFs..

Washington 8 rebs

Memphis 7 rebs

Indiana 7 rebs

Dallas 4 rebs

Detroit 7 rebs

Knicks 4 rebs

Knicks 7 rebs

Heat 4 rebs

Jazz 6 rebs

When you're talking about a PF, he has to be able to rebound.

If you really watch Smoove, he doesn't clear out space for the rebound. I don't honestly know if he has a low post technique for rebounding other than jump up fast to get it. That works until you get bodied out of position and just beat to where the ball is going to be. That's what good rebounders do and it seems like that's what they do to Smoove.

Moreover, we take away every advantage that he has by making him something that he's not.

Quote:

Smoove has done nothing that PFs do except rebound and I think he does that less against dominant PFs..

Washington 8 rebs

Memphis 7 rebs

Indiana 7 rebs

Dallas 4 rebs

Detroit 7 rebs

Knicks 4 rebs

Knicks 7 rebs

Heat 4 rebs

Jazz 6 rebs

When you're talking about a PF, he has to be able to rebound.

If you really watch Smoove, he doesn't clear out space for the rebound. I don't honestly know if he has a low post technique for rebounding other than jump up fast to get it. That works until you get bodied out of position and just beat to where the ball is going to be. That's what good rebounders do and it seems like that's what they do to Smoove.

Moreover, we take away every advantage that he has by making him something that he's not.

You also have to consider that he probably loses 3 or 4 rebounds a game by not being able to get offensive boards because we play him a lot on the perimeter, instead of the paint.

Center Diesel, no brainer. We have the weakest post defense in the game and the center position is hands down the hardest to fill, much harder than PG which is the 2nd toughest.

If we do not get a center in this draft or during the off season this year or next, it could very well set our developement (rebuilding) back three years as a team....We have got to aquire a solid defensive minded center; end of story.

Even if Zaza is a starter quality C, we still need quality depth at both positions. Just look at our division rivals' rotations:

MIA - Shaq/Haslem/Zo

ORL - Howard/Darko/Battie

CHA - Okafor/Brezec/May

Then us - Zaza/Al/Smoove

Compared to our division rivals, we are VASTLY undersized. Both Al and Smoove are AT LEAST as much SF as PF and neither is a Center.

I think we need to add a QUALITY 4/5 in the draft (my preference is Aldridge at this point) AND a 4/5 via free agency or trade (my preference is Nene at this point). Anything less and we will struggle again. I feel that:

Nene/Aldridge/Zaza is somewhat realistic and allows us to at least compete with the big boys in our division.

Honestly, I would PREFER to see us trade the #1 pick because I don't want to see us get younger but if we keep it, we need to go big. As for Al, sign and trade him for a big (preferable) unless he will come back for a reasonable amount of money. Even if he does come back, sign a big in free agency.

• Premium Member

come in and be a defesive force? I watched several Texas games this year and he seems to have talent but was quit passsive IMO. Only time will tell but right now I am not such an Aldridge fan.