• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Answer...is it possible?

seacharl

To start I realize that this is one of those topics that people might slam as "Oh Please, stop dreaming" but I'm just interested to kind of gauge the intrest/perks/chance of a possible Al and Smoove to the Sixers for Iverson deal. (cringing from expected backlash smile.gif

I'll make a few points then quit. The Sixers are in serious danger of once again not making the playoffs. They struggle to remain relevant (i.e. 500.) and the concences around the league is that Phli might seriously consider a deal for AI this summer.

The Sixers would receive a soilid 20 ppg scorer in Al (SNT) and a (perhaps) future All-Star with extreme athleticism in Smoove (POTENTIAL!). The Hawks would get a former MVP who could run the point, score, distribute, break down defenses, add toughness, and give a marketable face to the franchise.

A backcourt of AI and JJ personaly makes me salivate. We would still have our pick (which I would HOPE BK would use on the best avalible big) and we keep in tact a young nuculeus that includes Marvin, Chill, ZAZa, and Salim. Scary.

It's a long shot I know, but what do think?

• Premium Member

Sorry but AI is on the downside of his career. Smoove is on the upside of his. IN 2008, we'd be sitting here wondering.. what the hell did we give up all that for Ai... Similar to how Philly fans feel about Chris Webber.

I've read a ton of your posts Disel and I totally respect your opinion. I agree that AI is not 25 anymore, but he's still averaging around 30 PPG (3rd in the league I think). I just feel that since we won't have a draft pick after this year we should try to put together some talent that can compeat (spelling? smile.gif soon. The Answer brings Finals experince and a toughness that I think I team sorely lacks.

• Admin

A.I, while being a gutsy player and a guy who still has several years of All-NBA caliber play in him, just costs too much. Bringing him in destroys any cap flexibility we would have. First off, Philly isn't going to do a SnT with Al for anything close to what A.I is making and Smooth isn't going to offset that. So we'd have to throw someone else in, or two players, just to make the numbers work.

Besides that, there's no way I would give up Smooth at this. He has the potential to be a game changer at both ends. It's just not worth it on multiple levels.

• Premium Member

For me.. it's not the cost because he would create as much capital as we spend on him.

My thing is I don't think he has it in him to play at a high level for too much longer. The other problem is that he needs a team fitted around him. BK would never do that. I think BK hates stars and I think BK hates short guards... There's two BK strikes on AI...

But for me, it's the age and durability.

coupled with the fact that that deal alone makes little sense in my mind ~ Smoove and the other AI are quite similar in many ways ~ it'd be hard to have them both on thec ourt at the same time, especially with Al & Webber there...

who you benching? Webber a center?