• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

A reminder for the Marvin haters

exodus

Really interesting votes from GM around the league. These people are presumed to know their stuff(there's only one babcock in the league). The most interesting is the part about rookies. Despite Marvin unimpressive summer league and preseason GM still believe in him.

1. Who will win the 2005-06 Rookie of the Year?

Andrew Bogut 40%

Chris Paul 36%

Deron Williams 12%

2. Which rookie will be the best player in five years?

Marvin Williams 38%

Andrew Bogut 17%

Gerald Green 13%

Chris Paul 8%

Other areas of note:

6. Which team will win the Southeast Division?

Miami 100.0% (lol)

4. Which player is most likely to have a breakout season in 2005-06?

Dwight Howard 46%

Travis Outlaw 9%

Others receiving votes: Chris Bosh, Primoz Brezec, Tyson Chandler, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Kirk Hinrich, Andre Iguodala, Joe Johnson, Wally Szczerbiak, Sebastian Telfair, Dwyane

click

Personally I would trade Marvin right now for Paul, Deron or Felton.However my belief that the Hawks made the wrong pick isn't going cause me to root against Marvin.

"However my belief that the Hawks made the wrong pick isn't going cause me to root against Marvin."

Man that's like poetry. smile.gif I couldn't have put it better myself. Yes Paul is incredible and would have filled a hole, but that doesn't mean marvelous is chop liver. Did anyone expect him as a rookie to put up 20 a game? He'll get better every year he's in the league.

Thanks ex for the level headed and insightful post.

That article is completely irrelevant since it was done before the season started..Do you honestly think they would give the same answers now? And, for the record I don't dislike Marvin, I think he will be a good player in the NBA, I simply think BK passed on a star player at an impact position..Anyone that knows anything about basketball knows that a great point has tons more impact than a great wing player, well almost anyone, BK doesn't.

Quote:

That article is completely irrelevant since it was done before the season started..Do you honestly think they would give the same answers now? And, for the record I don't dislike Marvin, I think he will be a good player in the NBA, I simply think BK passed on a star player at an impact position..Anyone that knows anything about basketball knows that a great point has tons more impact than a great wing player, well almost anyone, BK doesn't.

Well said this poll was taken before the season if they take it now Marvin Williams wouldnt even be in the top 5 List lets get real here. Everyone wants/hopes Williams turns into this great player but what if he doesnt then we can pretty much label this one of the worst picks in franchise history. Everyone and there mother knows we made a mistake you hear it everyday from numerous annoucers and newswrighter the only who thinks everything is fine and dandy is a handful of hawks fans somehow this mistake has to be justified...

Quote:

That article is completely irrelevant since it was done before the season started..Do you honestly think they would give the same answers now?

That is just plain dumb. They saw him in the summer league and preseason, and that is why he didn't get one vote for the possible ROY.

Nate, McCants and Warrick got one vote but Marvin didn't. The GMs knew Marvin wouldn't do much this year.

Is anyone other then Diesel actively rooting against Marvin?

I know there are alot of people (myself included) who were critical of the pick and believe Paul would have been the better pick, but with the exception of Diesel and a few overly-pro Smoove posters no one is really against him. Obviously the "what ifs" will continue until Marvin proves himself, but that is the nature of the beast - people expect something from a number 2 pick regardless of his age.

Again, I am not rooting against Marvin, but I do have some serious concerns as to whether the team is being constructed in the best possible manner. Those concerns include whether Marvin and Smoove will workout as the starting forwards for the Hawks. Those concerns, while you may disagree with them, remain valid until proven otherwise.

Quote:

Really interesting votes from GM around the league. These people are presumed to know their stuff(there's only one babcock in the league). The most interesting is the part about rookies. Despite Marvin unimpressive summer league and preseason GM still believe in him.

1. Who will win the 2005-06 Rookie of the Year?

Andrew Bogut 40%

Chris Paul 36%

Deron Williams 12%

2. Which rookie will be the best player in five years?

Marvin Williams 38%

Andrew Bogut 17%

Gerald Green 13%

Chris Paul 8%

Other areas of note:

6. Which team will win the Southeast Division?

Miami 100.0% (lol)

4. Which player is most likely to have a breakout season in 2005-06?

Dwight Howard 46%

Travis Outlaw 9%

Others receiving votes: Chris Bosh, Primoz Brezec, Tyson Chandler, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Kirk Hinrich, Andre Iguodala, Joe Johnson, Wally Szczerbiak, Sebastian Telfair, Dwyane

click

Personally I would trade Marvin right now for Paul, Deron or Felton.However my belief that the Hawks made the wrong pick isn't going cause me to root against Marvin.

Bad contracts are given in the league basically every year. GM's opinions aren't much better than anyone elses.

• Premium Member

I pray everyday that Marvin proves me wrong...

But everyday, God says NO to my prayer.

I'm not rooting against Marvin.

I'm sober enough to see that Marvin was the wrong pick for us. I'm sober enough to admit that we made a big mistake. I've watched enough ACC games to know that Marvin wasn't as special as the hype machine made him out to be.

Some of you will stay on the ferris wheel and you will root for Marvin forever...I guess next year it will be:

"But he's 20.. nobody expects him to produce anything yet"..

then the next year..

"But he's 21... Nobody expects him to produce anything yet"..

My Contention is and have always been:

IF he is not better than Paul, Deron, or Smoove we have wasted our pick...

Check the record.

That's not rooting against Marvin, that's stating the fact of the matter.

Quote:

Some of you will stay on the ferris wheel and you will root for Marvin forever...

Why would a Hawks fan not always root for a Hawks player? Answer: when said fan is really nothing but a ego maniac masqerading as a fan. You and Belkin would probabaly make the best of friends if you were in the same tax bracket...

• Admin

you contradict yourself as much in your own post. Furthermore, your examples are childish and absurd. 3-4 years from now, nobody is going to give him a pass. By then he will be expected to be producing at a high level. That doesn't mean we have to write him off today, as you are doing. Everyone, including you, knows that he wasn't picked because he was expected to deliver big THIS season.

And yes, as long as he is a Hawk, I will continue to root for him. The fact that you specifically state the contrary shows that you are rooting against him. The fact that you don't give him the same pass that you give other 19yo rookies is proof plenty. Rooting for a guy on your favorite team isn't the same as giving them a pass when they don't progress as they should.

Again, please change your name to ethanol. You are transparent.

• Moderators

I try not to post on this dead horse but since its almost the end of the season...

I was fine with the Marvin pick and have gotten over not getting Paul.

BUT, even though Marvin has played ok and I like him I'm not seeing anything in his game that makes me believe he'll be an exceptional player. Someone tell me what will make him a great player in 5 years? Right now he can't seem to get to the bucket without losing the ball. I'm not hating on him. I like him, but I'm concerned that we haven't really seen any flashes of brilliance.

Smith rookie year:

9pts 6rbds 1.7assists 1.95bpg in 27.7 minutes per game..

sofar Marvin's rookie year:

8pts 4rbds .7 assists in 24.2 minutes per game

Smith was a bit better with a tad more playing time. I also feel that we had less talent last year so Smith was called upon more. I think you can see Smith's breakout year this year and I think Marvin can have the same impact next year.

Remember people said it would be 3 years before Marvin's showed his potential.