• Raised $440 of $700 target

SI grades Hawks broadcasters

Plainview1981

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...ades/index.html

B+

Atlanta Hawks

Atlanta Hawks

Bob Rathbun, Steve Smith

Rathbun is an energetic guy, calls a good game and isn't afraid to discuss the opposing team's fits and follies, probably because the opponent's weaknesses are an altogether finer sort of fodder than Atlanta's perpetual ineptitude. Smitty tends to lean heavily on comparisons with his playing days to fill airtime, but he knows the game and will get better as he develops more go-to material. Rathbun has a lot going against him -- a lousy team, a rookie partner and next to no home atmosphere -- but he manages to rise above it and make Hawks games a lot more interesting than they should be.

got to agree with you tmac. i like rathbun, but i have a hard time listening to him. if he would just be himself he would be fine.

two braves announcers - pete van wierin, don sutton, are some of the best i have ever heard in any sport. very knowledgeable, love the game, totally act themselves with no put-on.

Rathburn does about every sports game Fox sports south televises. He does a damn good job with the Braves and Hawks. I really like Smitty, he really knows the game and like the fans he can point out the obvious. Hawks need bigs who can board and control the post. We also need a decent point. We don't need a great point b/c JJ can carry the load sometimes. Cassell would be perfect. I wonder if we could trade for Brendon Haywood.

What I like about Smitty and Bob is the fact that they give a fair shake to all teams. Anyone who has the NBA Package can attest to the fact that a lot of the announcers are absolute homers and it is annoying.

Smitty: "Woooooooohooooohoooooo". He needs to work on that.