• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Mike Woodson... One More Year?

Diesel

• Premium Member

If you read some of the articles in today's AJC, there are several claims by Smoove and by Marvin and I would suppose by JJ and JC that Woody is the reason for their development being where it is.

Now that Woody has shown us that he can develop players...

Is it possible that Woody gets one more year without concern of being fired? Can Woody also move us to the next step of winning consistently??

Or Should we fire Woody and find a more seasoned coach?

Quote:

1 more bad season and that's it

yeah, and I don't even know if it's that bad. We have some very critical flaws. If we adress them even only partly, we will see tremendous progress. Depending on the kind of job Woody does this offseason, I'm expecting somewhere around a 40 win season next year, which could be an 8th seed, who knows?

• Admin

of course he gets one more year. The team improved, the players on it improved and they never gave up, despite being one of the four worst teams in the league. While another coach might have gotten us a few wins more, by virtue of different on-court decisions. Nobody else could have gotten any more from this group of players.

I agree that Woody made some stupid decisions early in the season, but he got better as the year went along. I htink he get's at least one more year at this point. BK has left him with a shell of a team since we don't have a real PG or C. I think BK will go before Woody does.

• Admin

The ideal that a coach can motivate someone to play defense is crazy to me. A coach teaches them where to be on defense, teaches them how to rotate and when, and teaches them things to recognize what the other team is doing. But he cannot motivate them to play defense. He can only stress to them the importance of giving the energy on that end of the court and hope that they believe it. I have no doubt that he is trying to teach them what htey need to do on the defensive end. Beyond that, it is out of his hands.

defense is 75% effort. you chase someone around and stay between them and the goal. the other 25% is skill.

that's assuming you are taking into account how athletic these guys are. obviously i'd need alot more than effort to guard an NBA player. don't go there with your retort.

• Admin

I agree. I think we're just putting too much stock into what exactly a coach can and can't do. A coach can't motivate guys to give more effort than they want to give. If a guy doesn't like playing hard on the defensive end, that's what you get. You either cut him, trade him, bench him or deal with it as best you can. I think that's what woodson has to do. Being that he doesn't have but a few players that seem to care about giving good effort on the defensive end.

• Moderators

I voted for another year, but in my opinion the main part of a coaches job is to motivate these guys. Its his responsibility to motivate them to play D. And he does it by putting them on the bench. Look at Avery Johnson, Phil Jackson you don't think they are motivating these guys to play D. Are they're defensive schemes just far superior to the previous coaches?

Quote:

A coach can't motivate guys to give more effort than they want to give.

I disagree with that, completely. A good coach, manager, structured environment can motivate people to give more effort than they would on their own. There are individuals who naturally give max effort and individuals who will not give max effort no matter who is asking them to, but most people fall in between. I personally feel like a great coach can create an environment where people are more inclined to give max effort.

• Moderators

Quote:

Would not fire Woody for the sake of firing....but if a proven vet coach is available and interested, I would not hesitate.

I think that is fair, too. As with every position on the team, if there is a clearly better alternative out there you go for it. If you polled everyone they would want Josh Smith back next year. However, if given the opportunity to get Howard in his place they would probably all take that as well.