• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Can Salim become another Gilbert Arenas?

Johnnybravo4

I came to this epiphany the other day. It seems heretical to say now, but could Salim develop into a Gilbert Arenas type player. There are many similarities.

1. Both are combo guards

2. Both played in Arizona

3. Both were picked with the 31st pick in the draft

4. Both are dynamic scorers that are forced to play point because of size.

I will concede that Arenas is a little more athletic, and he is slightly taller. (He is listed as 6'4 but he can't be taller than 6'2)

I would say that Salim could be a better shooter. And he is more athletic than I thought when we drafted him.

Salim also is fearless like Arenas, which is the source of his greatest strength, and weakness.

I think that if we are committed to getting a big man in lieu of getting a point guard (which is probably a mistake), then we need to commit to Salim at the point. Give him the starting job in training camp.

I am not sure about Salim becoming as good as Arenas...but he can become a very good player in the league...and I think can work well with JJ in the backcourt as he matures.

Salim's lack of defense is exaggerated, like Royal's defense is grossly overrated....Salim does need to improve on his ball skills but with a jumper like that and his quickness...there is no reason why he could not start with JJ.

But on this board people are ready to trade him. This boards gives up on our rookies easily....don't know how many times Chills and Smoove have been traded.

We should actually not give away pg duties to anybody, we should make a guard earn it.

• Moderators

I think the difference in height and especially athleticism will keep Salim from being as good as Arenas. That said, I still like Salim and hope he will be a scoring punch off the bench for years to come.

• Premium Member

Mostly coincident.

Hell, you can call up the ghost of Miles Simon if you wish... He was a short fellow who was a 2 in the body of a PG too.

Simon however didn't make it becuase he came into the league in a time where Big Gaurds were preferred...

But Zona produces the same guys.

OGs who can shoot and can't run an offense.

The only exceptions are Bibby and Arenas.

I think Arenas has world class athleticism. He is so quick and powerful and keeps good balance. As much as I like Salim I don't think he can match Gilbert's physicality.

Check this:

Gilbert Arenas can run, with speed beyond NBA convention. He has the hands of a pickpocket and the footwork of a Riverdance troupe dancer, but other players have those attributes, too. Arenas, though, has pure speed. He can run like a jack rabbit in need of Kaopectate. Track coach Milan Tiff, a former Olympian who works with about 35 NBA players in the offseason at UCLA, helped Arenas train in the months before the 2001 draft and declared his speed world-class.

"He's unbelievable," Tiff says. "He could do the 100 in 9 seconds if he applied himself to it. He could be in the Olympics."

Quote:

I think Arenas has world class athleticism. He is so quick and powerful and keeps good balance. As much as I like Salim I don't think he can match Gilbert's physicality.

Check this:

Gilbert Arenas can run, with speed beyond NBA convention. He has the hands of a pickpocket and the footwork of a Riverdance troupe dancer, but other players have those attributes, too. Arenas, though, has pure speed. He can run like a jack rabbit in need of Kaopectate. Track coach Milan Tiff, a former Olympian who works with about 35 NBA players in the offseason at UCLA, helped Arenas train in the months before the 2001 draft and declared his speed world-class.

"He's unbelievable," Tiff says. "He could do the 100 in 9 seconds if he applied himself to it. He could be in the Olympics."

If he was that then he would have been at least a mid first rounder. Obviously people saw flaws in his game that he corrected with practice and training. It wasn't as if he came into the league avg. 29ppg.