• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What if Chad Ford has it right?

Blunt91

Well I take it that it was Chad Ford's article posted about Draft needs for each team. If you saw the article it stated that if none of the guys the Hawks want(Bargnani,Thomas,Aldrige) are there at the 4thpick we should draft Randy Foye. I know we need a Bigman & a truepoint but I like what I have read about Foye. He seems like he could be a poorman's version of a Stephon Marbury or Steve Francis without the bloated contract. So with this in mind this is what I would do.

Draft Foye at #4

I know the mock drafts don't have him rated that high,but neither was Josh Childress in 2004. Billy Knight doesn't give a dam'n about what other people think.

Trade Josh Childrss: As much as I like Childress, I think Foye will be a better player. Like the insider stated Foye could thrive in the backcourt with Joe Johnson. In a few years this backcourt might be one of the best in the league.

Trade Josh Childress to either Golden State or the Orlando Magic. Use that pick and draft Shelden Williams.

Hence the Hawks draft could be #4Randy Foye

#9 or #11 Shelden Williams

I do like Foye OR Roy, but if we are at 4 and one of the three bigs is available then we'll take one. Mullin said as much this on Friday morning.

The idea of trading Childress doesn't make much sense. He brings a lot to the Hawks and is really turning into a very nice player.

This doesn't take into account what we do with Al, but I would suppose that if we trade Chill then we'd just resign Al and not do a SnT.

Lots of ifs and maybes at this point in time and we have two months until the draft!

• Premium Member

I think Josh Childress shouldn't be traded for a pick in a weak draft.

I think Shelden Williams should be our pick if Aldridge is off the boards.

I really believe we can make it with Lue and JJ as our Backcourt for now.

We cry and moan all year about getting a defensive Big and the draft yields us one and we want to get a PG/SG mix...

I would really like to see us get to the point where we live out BK's dream of a JJ/JC backcourt.

I will say for a time, we have seen it.

I think the ability to play a JJ/JC backcourt for parts of the game, Marvin has to become a legitimate 3-pt threat. You always need at least 2 guys that can regularly hit the 3 and I don't consider Josh Smith that. I really don't want him hanging out around the 3-pt line to be hoenst. We also need at least 3 guys on the court that can handle the ball so Childress and Marvin will definitely need to come correct with their ball-handling. Marvin seems a little wild with his handles to me but I'm sure he'll improve. On the Shelden Williams front, I'll be honest, the guy dominated the ACC more than he was beaten. What concerns me is how much of it had to do with skill and how much was just a factor being so much stronger than his competition. I also don't think he is a Center at any point. He is a pure PF which is actually something that I like BUT is that Josh Smith's future position?

Quote:

That backcourt gets blistered by real point guards who can drive the lane..We have to get a point guard that can stop dribble penetration and hit the wide open shot or we won't improve..We don't currently have a guy that can do that.

Exactly. The new rule getting rid of the hand check favors the smaller, quicker players who can beat guys off the dribble and get into the lane. That is why the JJ/JC backcourt will never work. They are too slow.

Plus Childress is a 2/3 not a 1/2.

Plus it isn't that easy to consistently post up smaller pgs because the bigs will come to help. The Hawks didn't have a lot of success doing that this year.

If you look at opponents PER for each position the opposing pgs had the highest PER against the Hawks compared to the other positions.

• Premium Member

Well, Luckily, we don't face a real PG every night. I think we should have one guy in our Backcourt with the ability to defend such a guy, but primarily, if we fix our lane defense first, it may solve 1/4 of the problem.

There's no one move that will solve every problem but I think getting a defensive big can help.

• Premium Member

Josh Smith is more of a Sf than he is a PF. Mostly, it's mentality. Smoove doesn't seem to want to be a PF. That mentality is the thing that makes Vince Carter a Sg.. I liked Vince as a Sf. I think he was more dominant when he would put the ball on the floor and drive. BUT mentality causes him to be a Spot up shooter. I see the same thing with Smoove with the exception that Smoove was really a clean slate. He could have choosen PF... but he didn't. Smoove was no fan of Marvin coming either. Go back and look at what Smoove said when asked who should the Hawks draft... He said either Bogut or Paul. Smoove is no dummy. He knew that he and Marvin would be competiting for the same spot.

Like you I also see Williams as a PF... but beside Smoove and Zaza... This could work.

Quote:

I think the ability to play a JJ/JC backcourt for parts of the game, Marvin has to become a legitimate 3-pt threat. You always need at least 2 guys that can regularly hit the 3 and I don't consider Josh Smith that.

um, if jj/jc is the backcourt, then there is 2 guys that can regularly hit the 3

in case u missed the memo, chill is a good 3 point shooter