• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Revisiting the Marvin Williams pick.

Wurider05

I mean we all knew that Chris Paul would be at least an average NBA pg but Marvin is/was pegged as someone who can be one of the best players in the league. I am no scout but just watching him play you know that he has the tools to be something special. Marvin is a special player there is no doubt about that. Marvin with one year of college isn't a raw basketball player that is going to require alot of work. All he needed was alittle playing time and you see what he can do.

I am calling it right now: HE WILL SURPASS ALL OTHER PLAYERS ON THIS TEAM NEXT SEASON AND WILL BE THE SECOND BEST PLAYER ON THIS TEAM NEXT TO JOE JOHNSON BUT HE HAS TO START OR GET MAJOR MINUTES. Woody seemed to have learned from his mistake of yanking the rooks when they make a mistake.

Guest Walter

If you EVER watched Marvin Williams you GD-well knew he was not going to be a superstar or "one of the best players in the league". Some people here still may believe it, but I-F you are going to be such a player you do not sit in favor of Jawad Williams, PERIOD! Would Josh Smith have sat? Never. Nor are you the 5th or 6th best HS prospect the year before.

Now, having said that, Marvin will be a good NBA basketball player. Of course, we will be LUCKY if Marvin has the positive impact in his peak that Paul is having now, at a MUCH harder to fill and needed position.

Lastly, regardless of how MW pans out, NOBODY can tell me either 1) how to get a well-sized, dominate 2-way center to pair with a 2-Sf lineup (with JS negated to being an AT BEST average Pf), avoid 2, adjacent undersized interior players, and help compensate for the offensive and defensive interior skill vacuum a 2-Sf lineup would bring about, O-R, historically the list of winning teams with a relatively undersized, Sf-skilled player at Pf and a hybrid Pf/C beside him. Rather than teams adjusting to us, they can simply score the higher percentage inside baskets and come playoff time everyone knows this nugget-sized front court with little front court skills to dip into strategy is doomed. We all know it but for whatever reason some here insist upon overlooking tradition, history, and reality.

In short, Marvin isn't the next great thing, he wasn't a year ago and certainly not to the point of overlooking team skill set and positional needs, he wasn't the year before that, and regardless, even if both he and JS "pan out" despite JS being forced out of position, there isn't a mythical center to pair them with and without one we have a historically doomed nugget-size team lacking enough interior skills.

Time to make the bold moves and build this team NOW. Next year we traded our 1st. The following our youngins' begin resigning. We need our pieces together NOW and we don't have the capitol without a trade of a valuable redundant asset! That player IMO is MW.

Now Wurider, if you believe MW will be a better Sf than JS. That's cool too. Trade JS if that's your feeling, Just don't direct us toward a 2, Sf starting lineup. Unlike you, I personally don't agree that MW will be better than JS.

W

Quote:

I am calling it right now: HE WILL SURPASS ALL OTHER PLAYERS ON THIS TEAM NEXT SEASON AND WILL BE THE SECOND BEST PLAYER ON THIS TEAM NEXT TO JOE JOHNSON BUT HE HAS TO START OR GET MAJOR MINUTES. Woody seemed to have learned from his mistake of yanking the rooks when they make a mistake.

Watching him the last few games of the season it also seems to me he will at least be the 2nd best scorer behind JJ and may actually average more points if Woody lets him. When Woody let Josh Smith go late in the season Josh Smith seemed to blossom. I don't think he did that with Marvin and I think Marvin is much more of a natural scorer than Josh.

I think we have to go big with this draft. When I say big I also mean Bargnani even though he has more of a small forward game I think he can play at the 4.

• Premium Member

My opinion is that we go defensive in the draft. I think that would include Williams and Bargnani (maybe). I have a bad feeling about Bargnani. I want to like him but I see Skitta too.

But definitely Aldridge.

Quote:

I mean we all knew that Chris Paul would be at least an average NBA pg but Marvin is/was pegged as someone who can be one of the best players in the league. I am no scout but just watching him play you know that he has the tools to be something special. Marvin is a special player there is no doubt about that. Marvin with one year of college isn't a raw basketball player that is going to require alot of work. All he needed was alittle playing time and you see what he can do.

Please pass whatever you are smoking he wont be anything close to wat Joe Johnson did last year.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I am calling it right now: HE WILL SURPASS ALL OTHER PLAYERS ON THIS TEAM NEXT SEASON AND WILL BE THE SECOND BEST PLAYER ON THIS TEAM NEXT TO JOE JOHNSON BUT HE HAS TO START OR GET MAJOR MINUTES.

I mean Childress and Josh Smith both had similar ends to their first season as Marvin did in his this year. They both started slow their second season and came on at the end just like in their first season only perhaps slightly above. But neither nearly approached JJ this season.

I don't see anything in MW game that suggests he's going to be on some other path than they are. A path that doesn't project vastly up next year, just a slightly elevated version of this year. Fact is, if you are a superstar it shows early. If not, yet you are still a good player, you progress on JS and Childress' path of more gradual improvement.

Regardless, we are in a situation that if MW does better I believe that hurts JS's development (and vice versa) because they essentially play the same position and neither have a post up skill set to compliment the other. Childress could be hurt in this equation also, although I am content with him as a BU 2/3 because he's not undersized for either position and seems to do well in that role.

W