• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

S. Williams vs. Aldridge, Thomas

Diesel

• Premium Member

Click1

Williams 23 pts, 6 rebs, 5 blocks, 7-12 shooting.

Aldridge 21 pts, 6 rebs, 0 blocks, 8-13 shooting.

Click 2

Williams 23 pts, 13 rebs, 4 blocks, 8-18 shooting.

Thomas 9 pts, 13 rebs, 5 blocks, 3-5 shooting.

People talk about upside. I think upside is overrated. I suspect that after workouts begin if the measurements go right, Williams will shoot up into the top 10. This is the guy we should pick.

Like him or not, he owns the lane... He might be a 12/8 guy at this level with definite defense.

I say we pick him. Send him to a big man camp. Then get somebody in here to work with him... If the measurements work out.

I like what he brings to the table defensively and on the boards. And I think with his strength and wingspan, he can play the 5 spot. BUT, and this is a big but, he's been allowed to foul at the college level. It's going to be a very tough adjustment for him in the NBA. He wouldn't appear to be a MAJOR project, but he is. He's the type of guy who might foul out in 3 minutes some nights.

• Premium Member

Wow. I can't believe you are so static in mind.

It's no secret that I hate Duke. It's no secret that after the Georgetown game, I thought that he wasn't worth picking. However, I have seen him further and now based on our position and based on what would be available... I think the best recourse is to take him.

So your belief is that I can't change my mind?

You're more of a ))))) than I thought.

Nobody has said you can't change your mind Diesel. Their problem with you is that when they disagree with you, you cry like baby in a hot car with a diaper full of poo. When you make a case for both sides of an argument, you post the correct guesses later and proclaim yourself clairvoyant. How sad that you need validation so much from this forum that you insist on proving that you have this rare foresight.

The link he posted was from 3/12. The Georgetown game was a long time before that. Duke played 3 games after the 12th--the tourney started that weekend.

Exodus wasn't saying, "Look what he said after the GU game!" He was saying, "Look what he said at the end of the season." You know that. However, it's easier to argue with the first statement, so you pretended that's what he'd said. Strawman. What a surprise.

• Premium Member

Actually..

I don't read anything from Luefan. Here's on my ignore list. I just grew tired of seeing his little pouts for attention that I gave in.

However, That was a set back and mistake. There's no need to give in to Luefan because he is truly not worth my time.

Williams is a solid player, but he has no restraints on fouls when he's playing someone who is either his own size or bigger. That doesn't translate well to the NBA unless you're Shaquille O'Neal's size. We were discussing Alexander Johnson of FSU in another post this morning so I'll use that comparison. Alexander Johnson is 6'10" 260lbs. similar to Williams. Both times Duke played FSU, Williams got into foul trouble and had problems containing and scoring on Johnson all night. He couldn't get the easy layups and dunks he gets on weaker, smaller players. While I don't think he's a total waste. He's got the potential to be a good NBA player, but I don't think I'd waste a lottery pick on him or maybe even a mid first rounder.

• Premium Member

I just think that we ought to go with someone a little more polished with this pick...No more potential.. and defenitely a big defensive player.

I just think that Williams will be that.

I'm not a Duke fan. I don't think their program makes good pros. And I don't see Williams as being a superstar... BUT I think he will be solid and I think he's probably a sure solid player in a weak draft.

I'm not sold on the other bigs like Thomas or even Sene and Bargnani.

I just feel that on this pick, we need solid.. defensive.

Williams could turn out to be as good as Okafor.

or he could be another Fizer..

But I say we give him a shot because he fits our needs better than anybody else save Aldridge or Noah.

I'm not so sure he fits any needs completely though. I don't really know if any player in this draft is a difference maker whether it be offense or defense. Offensively, players like Bargnani and Morrison are talented, but a gamble, while defensive players that are weak offensively or don't figure to translate into offensive pros only hold so much weight come draft time. Then there's players who are kind of on the fence. Lots of potential, but this team doesn't need potential. I'm totally against Shelden Williams cause' he seemed too much like the "bully" in college, but when he had to fight someone his own size, he got his tail whooped. The NBA is about 90% of players who could "whoop" him nightly. We already have a hardnosed, scrappy PF/C type that averages a foul every two minutes. His name is Esteban Batista.