• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Diesel's top 7 draft picks... For the Hawks.

Diesel

Quote:

Too Frail to be a starter in the NBA. A project that will take at least 3 years to become an above average Sf.

Question:

How can you be to frail to be a starter and at the same time one day be an above average player?

Answer:

Let Diesel post an evaluation of your talent and skill on the Squawk laugh.gif

Like I said earlier....Thanks for the laughs.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I suggest you go buy the autobiography of Nikoloz Tskitishvili . I think it's called My Life as a Overhype Europroject.

It's a good read.

Here's an excerpt

Quote:

Nikoloz Tskitishvili was the No. 5 pick in the 2002 NBA Draft and felt every bit of the pressure. Fans and media were often critical of what they perceived as Skita's slow progress. He was just 19 years old in a new country and facing the players he had idolized on television and in magazines for years. Skita quickly learned how hard it is to succeed in the NBA as he averaged only 3.9 points and 2.2 rebounds in 16.3 minutes per game his rookie season.

Here's more:

Quote:

He has been working on the move from small forward to power forward. He has bulked up and is learning to play more aggressively. All that work is paying off as Skita recently averaged 14.8 points 6.8 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 10 summer league games in L.A. and Utah.

tskitishvili_254_021027.jpg

Here's his NBADRAFT.net profile being that these things mean so much to you guys...

Quote:

Here is his draft profile from NBAdraft.net:

NBA Comparison: Pau Gasol

(knee-ko-Los Skeet-ish-vee-lee)

At just 18, is one of the top overall prospects in Europe. Very precocious feel for the game. Excels in many aspects. Can shoot from long range, battles for rebounds. Struggles defensively, but just needs time to develop his strength. Has very good agility and can run the floor. Great offensive touch. Could grow another few inches. Talk in Europe is that he will be better than Pau Gasol. Will probably end up at 7-1.

-Uros Velkavrh

Does it sound familiar in anyway to Bargnani?

Where is he now?

Quote:

Does it sound familiar in anyway to Bargnani?

Where is he now?

First of all NBADraft.net hypes up everybody.

And like I've told you the only thing he and Bargnani have in common is that they both played for Benneton Treviso and they both were considered athletic big men. The comparisons end there.

How about you post the numbers that Skita put up for Benetton Treviso. I see you conveniently left those stats out. It was no surprise when Skita couldn't get more than 3 PPG in the NBA seeing that all he got in the Euroleague was a pathetic 1 PPG in six games. The guy only had a total of 3 field goals the entire year.

Bargnani is the rising star of the year. Any person that has seen both players will tell you Bargnani is better than Skita. The stats suggest this, the accolades suggest this, but you continue to be foolish while Bargnani is scoring at least 20 PPG in 3 years.

• Premium Member

Click Skita

Quote:

With Benetton Treviso, played 12.7 minutes per game after beginning play in January … Coached by former Nuggets head coach Mike D’Antoni … In 11 games, averaged 6.6 ppg, 1.8 rpg and shot over 73 percent on two-point field goals, over 83 percent from free throw line and shot 40 percent from three-point range … Scored season-high 14 points vs. Fabriano, making six of seven shots, including a pair of three-pointers … In season-high 25 minutes against Wurth Roma, contributed 13 points and season-highs of four rebounds and three assists … Played the 1999-2000 and 2000-01 seasons for KK Slovan in Slovenia … Prior to that, as a young teenager, played for Sokhumi in his native Republic of Georgia … Was a member of the Georgian National Team at the 1999 European Junior Championship and at the 2000 European Junior Championship qualifying round … Participated in the 2000 Slovenian All-Star Game … In 2000-01, averaged 8.1 ppg and 3.6 rpg in 20 minutes per game for KK Slovan.

Bargain Man

Quote:

n the court, Bargnani is an "A" student. He has received extended playing time — 21.1 minutes per 40-minute game — for the first time this season and responded with good, if not eye-catching, statistics: He averaged 10.9 points and 4.1 rebounds and shot 55.8% overall and 43.3% from three-point range in 18 Euroleague games. In 28 Italian League games, he is averaging 11.2 points and 5.3 rebounds.

Busboy, I don't see a whole lot of difference in these two. IN fact, if they had played the same amount of time (mpg), who knows who would be better. I'm sure that somebody can get some per 48 stats and some TENDEX numbers to support a claim either way..

What I do see is the same infatuation over Bargnani that I saw for Skita. Why not just sign Skita in the summer? He's already 240 with NBA experience. Plus he will be cheap.

Interesting article from a Portland paper. They are building love for the two locals (well .. kind of local) Roy and Morrison. Don't be surprised if one of those two ends up the pick for Portland - makes great sense from a franchise point of view if not the best possible picks.

So maybe Bargnani or Aldridge will slide to us.

------------------

The NBA draft lottery updated

My current Top 11 NBA Draft picks, subject to change after workouts and pre-draft camps begin or on a whim, too, and certainly after the draft order is revealed:

1. Brandon Roy, G, Washington

2. Adam Morrison, F, Gonzaga

3. Andrew Bargnani, F, Italy

4. Lamarcus Aldridge, F, Texas

5. Tyrus Thomas, F, LSU

6. Rudy Gay, F, UConn

7. Shelden Williams, F, Duke

8. Ronnie Brewer, G, Arkansas

9. Marcus Williams, G, UConn

10. Randy Foye, G, Villanova

11. Rodney Carney, F, Memphis

I still really like Roy and Morrison, and Bargnani is interesting, depending on who is picking No. 1 overall I think we could see anyone in the top 6 selected first.

The draft doesn't have a superstar, but there are a couple of future All-Stars here.

Tyrus Thomas is a question mark, I just can't see someone gambling with the top pick on a guy who might not pan out. I give Roy the edge over Morrison right now, but only because he's complete, and ends up as a really talented, safe, smart pick for someone. Roy is glue. He brings teammates together. And he'll stick in the league, and can do a lot of things. Morrison is super creative, quicker than you think and will score at the next level. You can't ignore that.

Bargnani ends up as the wildcard because he's long, can shoot, and will probably play a long time for someone. As noted before, Gay's lack of enthusiasm scares me. I'd hate to see what he'd do with a guaranteed contract. And Aldridge is really, really solid, but not spectacular.

Shelden Williams is a safe pick, but his upside isn't super which is why he slides down the list. Ronnie Brewer is interesting because of his size and this draft's lack of stars, which is why he'll be a nice get for someone picking in the 6-10 range. UConn's Marcus Williams is a virtual clone of Deron Williams who went high to Utah a year ago; they both make everyone around them better.

Randy Foye can flat play, and has great character. If he were two inches taller, he'd be in the Top 6... and if I were two inches taller, I'd need longer pants. Meanwhile, Rodney Carney is ultra-long, knows how to get to the basket and his game reminds me of Darius Miles on Miles' good days.

Just curious, is that your ranking of how good they'll be, or your ranking of who you want us to pick? (or both?) i.e. If atlanta picks 2nd and roy is gone, would you have the hawks draft Morisson despite his position?

And if it's just your player ranking, who are your top 3 for the hawks?

Like I said before, Charlotte will not take a big, and Portland prooooobably won't. Which means that to get a top 3 big guy we probably only need to be top 5. So we'll see what happens!

• Premium Member

1. Brandon Roy, G, Washington -Dwayne Wade.

I think that Brandon Roy will be more like Dwayne Wade than anybody else... I just see a lot of competitiveness in ROY and he's superskilled.

2. Adam Morrison, F, Gonzaga ugh .

I hate to say Larry Bird.. But it fits. He's not so athletically built but this guy is a super bigtime competitor who doesn't quit (unlike Kobe) and he is a bigtime scorer.

3. Andrew Bargnani, F, Italy Don't know

I will say his high is Gasol and his Low is Skita..

4. Lamarcus Aldridge, F, Texas Don't Know

I will say his high is Camby and his low is Battie.

5. Tyrus Thomas, F, LSU Stromile Swift

It's an ugh moment, but it's true. Shot blocker, Athletic, young and needing of some polish...

6. Rudy Gay, F, UConn Marvin Williams/Tim Thomas

Hype has brought you this far and Hype will lead you on.

7. Shelden Williams, F, Duke Fizer-Emeka Okafor

Somewhere in between you find Williams. I really believe he may be more like Okafor than Kmart...

8. Ronnie Brewer, G, Arkansas Reece Gaines-Joe Johnson

I watched Brewer and he is good but limited. He's closer to Gaines than some may believe.

9. Marcus Williams, G, UConn Deron Williams

Another Pure PG. However, I don't think he has the shooting ability of his predecessors DW and AM...

10. Randy Foye, G, Villanova Stevie Franchise

Carbon Copy. I think he's just as strong and just as much an OG as SF.

11. Rodney Carney, F, Memphis Vince Carter/JRich

I have high thoughts of Carney. I think he's the next thing to Vince Carter playing. He's got that power. He's got that athleticism. He can even shoot. The difference is that I think he's less soft but also less gifted. What I mean is that VC has some God Given gifts that training and genetics just don't give. He could truly dominate the league if he had competitive fire and heart. Like many others, Carney doesn't have the GGGifts that VC has.. but still, I think he can possibly be on the level with VC.

Quote:

What I do see is the same infatuation over Bargnani that I saw for Skita. Why not just sign Skita in the summer? He's already 240 with NBA experience. Plus he will be cheap.

You see what you want to see. Skita scored THREE FIELD GOALS average ONE PPG. How the hell is that the same as the guy who go the rising star award?

• Premium Member

I saw the same thing Last year with:

Marty A.

Ukic.

It's the same thing this year with

Bargnani.

You can try to divert the question, but I will ask it anyway.

ISn't there a rush to take some Europlayer who nobody knows anything about... based on a Boxscore or press clipping?

• Premium Member

Oh, I'm sorry.

Let me rephrase..

Isn't there a rush to pick up a seldom seen Europlayer every year?

I offer:

Skita

Welsch

Pietrus

Carbarkapa

Paviovic

Delfino

Khrypa

Udriah

Darko

Ukic

Marty A.

Podkolzine

Splitter

Bargnani

Lopez

every year for the last 3 or so years here on HS... You would hear these names flash by as if these guys were the next Toni Kukoc... somebody even went on a crusade to prove that Marty... The one man Party would be the best player in Basketball History.

And what is the basis??

Quote:

Don't be surprised if one of those two ends up the pick for Portland - makes great sense from a franchise point of view if not the best possible picks.

And/or Seattle. That's why I'm not too worried if Portland or Seattle end up drafting ahead of us, in fact I wouldn't mind it a bit- cause I'd bet money that either one of those teams will want one of the local boys.

Quote:

He's not so athletically built but this guy is a super bigtime competitor who doesn't quit (unlike Kobe) and he is a bigtime scorer.

tough to say this after the way he ended his collegiate career - crying while the game was still undecided

he might as well have taken off his shoes and socks like the bomber

• Premium Member

You must be kidding.

That shows the competitiveness.

Crying at losing.

The likes haven't been seen since Rasheed Wallace got his a-- kicked by Tim Duncan in the ACC Championship game their senior year!

grin.gif

Thought I forgot huh?

I actually agree with Diesel to an extent. There is no question that Sheldon Williams is the type of player that the Hawks need (i.e., a physical, tough low post presence on offense and defense). The problem is that it is unclear whether Williams' game translates to the NBA, where on average players are bigger and stronger. I am not advocating that we take Williams but I absolutely believe acquiring that type of player is essential to the Hawks long term success.

Bargnani is a talent, but does he really help the Hawks in anyway other then providing additional trade bait? He is much more Dirk then Gasol (Gasol was always a paint player) so he will not play center and will essentially force the Hawks to trade or give up on either Smoove or Marvin. Smoove and Bargnani would actually be an interesting forward combo but then what do you do with Marvin?

People need to start thinking about how this team is being put together. If you pick a Bargnani, Gay, Morrison, etc., then you have to trade one of your assets (read: one of Childress, Smoove or Marvin) to fill the gaping holes in the roster.

This team simply will not win without gaining some measure of roster balance.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

As I've said before every time there's a Euro 7 footer who is relatively thin and described as having a SF's game, he ends up being a PF. See Dirk, Pau etc...

I would put the odds of Bargnani playing the bulk if his minutes at the SF 2 years from now below 1%.

He is a perimeter guy when I would rather have a banger, but he will end up being a 7 foot PF nevertheless just like Dirk. The real question is whether or not he will be anywhere near as good.

That's true...but I think it is because they routinely overestimate the typical Euro big man's athleticism. I remember them calling Darko a freakish athlete. And while he's a goode enough athlete he (Darko) has no hope in guarding 3's. I'm with you in thinking Bargnani will play more PF in the NBA, but because he seems to be a perimeter player. This thought makes me see more Rodmonovich (or a quicker Mehmet Okur without a post game) than Dirk. Personally I'd stay away. But from the guys we'll pick from, non of them excite me.