• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Isn't our Backcourt set??

Diesel

• Premium Member

Aside from just wanting somebody new...

What exactly is wrong with Lue/JJ?

I know they started off ruff.. But after JJ got into Sync... He and Lue wasn't so bad.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind draft Roy if that's what it came down to, but I don't think that Looking for a high priced FA PG is what we are going to do and I'm wondering if it's even neccessary.

Lue would have led the league in 3pters if he had played enough games to qualify. Our offense did a good job of scoring points. Our main problem was defense. Of course, there were some times when it would have been better to be 100% effecient on offense, but Why propose spending lots of money to bring in a big time PG... Is this remorse for not picking Paul?

Bring on Aldridge or Shelden Williams.

To ask a question that you usually ask..Do you ever watch a game? Did you not see opposing point guards drive freely to the basket to either get an easy shot or dish?..On the ball defense is the biggest thing this team lacks..Lue cannot stop dribble penetration..Lue does handle the ball ok if you enjoy watching him dribble, and he has a decent shot..The bottom line is that Lue is a backup, no more or less..We have to have a point that can cut down on our turnovers, hit the open shot, and most importantly be able to play defense..

Quote:

To ask a question that you usually ask..Do you ever watch a game? Did you not see opposing point guards drive freely to the basket to either get an easy shot or dish?..On the ball defense is the biggest thing this team lacks..Lue cannot stop dribble penetration..Lue does handle the ball ok if you enjoy watching him dribble, and he has a decent shot..The bottom line is that Lue is a backup, no more or less..We have to have a point that can cut down on our turnovers, hit the open shot, and most importantly be able to play defense..

I think getting big men is a bigger need before look for PG's. The Hawks aren't building a team that will be extremely talented on the offensive end, and that horrible 102PPG has got to come down to atleast 98PPG next year if the Hawks are to make anymore improvement.

We need both, but I know it wasn't pf's and centers that killed us in the paint..It was pointguards and shooting guards roaming freely in the paint that killed us inside..

I agree both Zaza and Al are poor defenders, but very few bigmen can handle 1's, 2's, and 3's when they drive freely into the paint.

Quote:

We need both, but I know it wasn't pf's and centers that killed us in the paint..It was pointguards and shooting guards roaming freely in the paint that killed us inside..

I agree both Zaza and Al are poor defenders, but very few bigmen can handle 1's, 2's, and 3's when they drive freely into the paint.

It helps to be able to clog the middle. I believe it also makes it easier on the guards to play defense when you know there are guys back there that can protect the paint. I believe defense really starts from the inside... Notice how Dallas improved on defense with the additions of Damp and Diop.

• Premium Member

Yeah, I watch..

And I believe that if we had a true Big man in the lane, they would be less prone to drive.

If we want to place blame on the guards, then JJ should get his share too.

• Moderators

I like this post. I agree totally. In fact Lue should have gone back to starting in my opinion. This is why BK doesn't see the need for a point because he doesn't see anyone significantly better than Lue available.

This is also why I think BK passed on Chris Paul. Sure its laughable now but he obviously didn't think Paul would be significantly better than Lue right off bat. I'm sure he knew Paul would be a great player eventually but I'm sure he still thinks Marvin will be a better player in the long run.

Lue isn't great defensively but its not for lack of effort. And he brings some good clutch play with him.

• Premium Member

I won't disagree..

I just don't see the need to go out and spend lots of money on a player that's not much better than Lue.

For what it's worth, I would probably rather keep the 2nd round experimentation to find a PG going instead of investing a lot of FAcy money on some of these contract players...

That is of course, unless the first round yields us Roy with no power players in sight. There's something special about Roy.

If the Hawks bring in a young big man then I think a veteran point guard would be a tremendous asset for all the young players on the team.

I am not sure who that veteran is, I think Cassell is good but a little too old for our purposes. Best fit is speedy Claxton, he is not perfect but has good experience and has performed well under pressure (he was very good when with SA). He would not command huge minutes (and hopefully not huge dollars) but would be available for 25-30 minutes a game to stabilize the team offensively and more importantly defensively.

Outside of Speedy, I don't see any good options, which only compounds the Hawks problems.

Truth be told we only went for our ideal starting lineup first, which was

JJ

Chills

Smoove

Harrington

Zaza

Then we lost the first game, Woody panicked and changed the lineup and put Lue in at Pg. Then Al got hurt and they decided that we needed Lue's scoring off of the bench so we put Ivey in and the rest is history. But isn't it ironic that in the last part of the season, it is the above lineup that we used more than anything. Instead of Lue or Marvin being the first player off of the bench, it was Chills for Ivey.

Quote:

Then we lost the first game, Woody panicked and changed the lineup and put Lue in at Pg.

To be honest I doubt that's what happenned. My guess is Woody never really accepted JJ as a PG. He had to start him there for a game just so BK didn't look like a liar, then he went back to his plan. Woody had to have figured out what JJ could and couldn't do in preseason and practice etc...

• Premium Member

What's the damn difference...

We're using Chillz as a 6th man OG?

How can we be going somewhere with Chillz/JJ/Lue..

But not be going anywhere with Lue/JJ/Chillz??

Especially, when the minutes are spread about about equally???

I'm Laughing out Loud over Here Nick...

Quote:

Yeah, I watch..

And I believe that if we had a true Big man in the lane, they would be less prone to drive.

If we want to place blame on the guards, then JJ should get his share too.

Usually I disagree with Diesel on principle, but I regretfully have to agree with him on this issue. It makes the guards jobs that much mre difficult knowing that there is no big man to protect them if their guy gets in the lane. Chicago for example - when Chandler is playing well and is active they are one of the toughest defenses to face, when he goes in the crapper (around 50 games a season) they become a fair to decent defense - even with Duhon and Hinrichs defense on the perimeter and Nocioni flopping around the lane.

The truth is ... Lue is just too ugly to watch. Plays fine but but he ought to wear a bag over his head. Even my dog puckers up when Lue is on TV.

Actually, I agree he didn't play so bad. And we won't get anyone better in FAcy. But I'd rather take a chance on Roy if Bargnani, Aldridge, and Splitter are gone. If we get one of those three, I'll put up with Lue.