• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Recent Sf rookie per 48 TENDEX

Guest Walter

• Admin

Maybe you should change BPA to BPPA (best potential player available). Because that's why Marvin was drafted. He was drafted becuase of his ability to become a great player, not becuase he was going to be a great player immediately. You know this already. As I've said about 50 times to you already. You give guys like Kwame and Stromile Swift multiple passes on their failures to become the players their draft status indicated they would be. Yet you write Marvin off after a solid, yet unspecatular season?

"once in the playoffs anything can happen".

c'mon, you know how foolish that statement is. It doesn't take an expert to look at a team, going into the playoffs, and tell you that they are finals worthy or not. You also know that in the modern history of the game, no team has drafted 60% of its roster and gone on to win a championship with that same roster. You get players, you develop them, you judge your chemistry and you make moves. That's how it is done and how it will always be done. We aren't at point where we're 1 or even 2 players away from being a real contender. So having two SF's who will push each other to become better isn't a major flaw, yet. When it starts to become a problem, then we can look to trade one of those guys and get the pieces of the puzzle. But right now it simply is not a problem.

• Premium Member

So I should give Marvin a break because he's following the Kwame Brown/Stromile Swift road to greatness??

The only reason I ever gave Kwame a break is because he is a young 7 footer with size and we lack 7 footers with size. Marvin however falls in a different category. He's a 6'8 Sf. Those type guys are a dime a dozen.

Hell, we have 3 others on the roster.

• Admin

You should give him a break because he's only played ONE DAMNED SEASON. One season isn't enough to place him on the Kwame/Stromile Road to Mediocrity. That's the problem, you gave those guys several seasons and still haven't given up on their "potential". Yet you already give up on Marvin. Besides, he effectively matched Kwame and Stromiles's best seasons in his rookie season. He definitely deserves the same breaks you've given them for years. His position is irrelevent.

• Premium Member

I haven't given up on Kwame because he's a 7 footer with size and we lack a 7 footer with size.

But again...

Even if Marvin's potential is high. It's not any higher than Smoove's.

Marvin is another Sf. It seems that with Smoove, we have that position locked. I would think we would focus on getting another needed skillset.

Mind you, I'm not saying trade Marvin for pooh... However, if Indy said, Al/Marvin for JO.. The trade will be done before the end of business today if I had a say in the matter. The reason being is because JO gives us something that we desparately need.

However, it's you and those bleeding heart Marvin loyalist who says..

"He's only 19... Give him a chance... Blah blah blah..."..

But what if he doesn't pan out?

what then?

Do we then look at all the missed opportunities to right the ship and point the finger?

Here's the logic Chillz.

If you know that the ship is going the wrong direction... but the weather is nice.. Do you keep going forward?? Or do you at some point right the ship?

I think what Walt is saying and What I am saying is simple logic...

If we have a purpose.. why are we doing everything we can do to divert from it?

Quote:

http://www.dougstats.com/04-05MainTendexPage.html

And I believe when comparing TENDEX it is ideal to compare players with similar minutes.

W

You believe on Walter. I will take the factual NBA per 48's and make my own assumptions from there. Instead of being lead like a sheep by some stat site I have never even heard of. Hell, as much as I dislike Chris Ford's opinions of our Hawks, I would take his adjusted per 48 over this guy...

• Admin

We would be fools to not consider trading Marvin for a legit player like JO. But with that said, we shouldn't trade him for anything less either. None of these [censored] on a stick deals like nene, watson, claxton type crap. But that is not the complete issue here.

Besides, this is all round about avoiding the issue. The issue is the constant belittling of his ability and potential. Yah we should consider all reasonable offers for him. But just because he plays the same position as Josh SMith AND he wasn't the ideal use of the pick, it doesn't mean he should be hated on (which he has been by both you and walter) or that he should be the throw in on every trade deal that gets proposed.

Because it is no given that Josh Smith will be the better player OR that Josh Smith will be a pure SF a year from now. Anyone who thinks that he won't get bigger, stronger and develop some posts moves is insane.

Guest Walter

Again, JS was better in HS, 25% better as a rookie despite being a year younger and without a year of major college experience, and 25% better THIS YEAR despite being the same age on the same team.

Remember the stats were per 48 and overall TENDEX and MW played as many MPG his rookie year as rookie or sophomore Josh.

But here come the MW free pass excuses as I predicted.

W

Quote:

Remember the stats were per 48 and overall TENDEX and MW played as many MPG his rookie year as rookie or sophomore Josh.

I have no idea where you get your stats from but to even suggest MW played as many minutes this year as Smoove just proves how uninformed you are. And furthermore how inaccurate your research is.

Smoove mpg 31.8

Mwill mpg 24.7

That is a 23% difference! What a crock this whole thread of yours is. Jeez, if you are going to bash someone at least have the dignity and character to do so with the truth.

Now if you want to go over a stat post that is closer to real research and a site that stands by what it puts out there go here http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players. Search for the player and select hollingers stats.

Sorry, I referred to this as Chris Ford's earlier. MWill is behind Smoove but as I said earlier, I do not think MWill played as well as Smoove this year. If I did, then you could say I was also uninformed and have a good aurgument as well. But MWill is no bust and he will only keep improving.

MWill had a overall score of 12.24

Smoove had a overall of 15.63

Smooves rebounding score accounted for almost a two point difference. Otherwise it would have been a virtual tie. Of special note on this is the fact that Smoove had the 3rd highest rebounding score of all SF's this year. Not bad for a 2nd year player!