• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Diesel's Offseason.... 12th revise...

Diesel

• Premium Member

I went back into the stacks here at Hawksquawk and revisited a very interesting thread that made me really think about this revise..

Using the Walter rule...

Draft Roy.

Marvin/ our 2nd next year to Charlotte for Okafor.

In FAcy, Pick up DJ MBenga.

Next year when we take the floor this is our team:

Roy, JJ, JSmoove, Okafor, Zaza

I think Okafor is the guy that can solidify our middle. I like Roy as a match to the JJ skill set. A Big OG who can do it all.

Charlotte does the trade for three reasons.

1. Fanbase. Having May, Felton, and Marvin is probably the best thing that they can have as a young franchise.

2. Need. I think when you look at Charlotte's need, they need somebody who can make the floor spread out so that Felton can work the drive and dish.

3. Uncertainty. As proud as they have been of Okafor, I think they are somewhat uncertain of his injuries. I think they purposely held him out this season.. however, he came in with a back problem...

Why do we do the deal.

1. Defensive presence.

If we're honest, there's nothing wrong or BU about Zaza. Zaza and Al were just a very bad defensive matchup. If you get Okafor here, Zaza becomes like Vlade... only young...

2. clear up the logjam. (Walt Rule)

This shows a commitment to JSmoove. I don't want there to be any uncertainty for JSmoove when it comes time to resign him. I don't want him to feel that we played him out of his natural position or we choose Marvin over him.

3. versatility.

In certain times, Okafor can play C for us in our small lineup.

I like MBenga over Butler...

I know... Butler has so much potential, but MBenga could be a future defensive stud. Butler is just big and menacing. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem taking Bulter, but given my Drothers with this particular team, I would take MBenga.

1. offer Al and Lue/future draft choice for Gordon.

2. offer Cassell 4 yrs 40 million

3. sign a lesser PG like Claxton at market value if we're turned down

4. offer Nene 1 year 9 million

5. draft Aldridge or Marcus Williams in that order

• Admin

Currently Okafor is their franchise player. They will want more then just MW and a second rounder to get him. I would do that trade in a heartbeat but I don't think there is enough there to get it done.

Agree...May and Felton should satisfy the Charlotte fanbase for local players - giving up Okafor would be a real stretch for them. If none of this year's injuries are chronic/longterm and they do OK in the draft they should be looking pretty good for next year. I wouldn't plug them in as a real contender - but they may be a solid vet away from competing for the 7/8 spot in the playoffs.

We seem to be in the same boat though. Solid bigs and we're right there also. (IMHO)

• Premium Member

I'm not sure that Okafor is their franchise player...

How many games did he play this past year?

The year before?

I think his injury history does sorta taint his value.

However, I'm willing to gamble.

I understand that every once in a while you need to gambe. IMO, that is why we chose Marvin Williams in the first place. Gambling doesn't mean trading a high-ceiling talent for a guy with injuries and a shallow ceiling for growth.

• Admin

If you want to see how Okafor is valued offer MW/Salim for him on realgm. I think you will find that people would choose Okafor over MW.

I would love to have Okafor on our team. If we had a point guard our roster would be set. However, I think the deal would need to be sweetened.

I tend to agree, Okafor would be a great fit for this team and you have to give talent to get talent. The only hiccup is Okafor's injuries - if he was cleared medically you have to at least think about it.

Why has Okafor maxed out on his development? He made enormous strides in college and is still relatively new to the game. He could become and Elton Brand.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't call Okafor a low ceiling. Okafor has the ability to be a game changer. An Alonzo Morning type. A true PF/C who can change the game with his defense. No, he's not flashy... But he's no dime a dozen talent either.

• Premium Member

I think his injuries does taint his value, but at the same time, it's not a knee... In fact, it's been a hamstring, a shoulder.. etc..

The back does concern me, but I would take that chance.

He's definitely a game changer.