• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Rate our Core... vs. other EC cores..

Diesel

• Premium Member

While observing the Milwaukee Board... I found this...

Quote:

How do you guys compare our "core" to the rest of the EC? Here's how I see it:

Better "cores" than us:

Orlando: Howard, Nelson, Darko

Chicago: Hinrich, Deng, Gordon, Chandler, + two high draft picks from NY.

Detroit: Obviously five great players

Nets: Jefferson, Kidd, Carter, Kristic

Miami: Wade, Shaq (Shaq's getting old, but Wade already gets all the calls)

Equal Cores:

Bucks:Redd, Bogut, TJ

Charlotte:Okafor, Felton, May, Wallace

Toronto: Bosh, Charlie, MoPete(?)

Washington:Butler, Jamison, Arenas

Worse Cores:

Knicks: Frye, Marbury, Francis, Eddy Curry. Overpaid junk.

Celtics: Pierce and a lot of overhyped junk.

Sixers: AI, Iggy, CWebb. Was a great core in 1999.

Atlanta: Marvin, JJ, Josh Smith. Not sure if this core becomes the next big three or is the old version of the Clippers.

Indiana: JO, Peja, ? I'll get flamed for this by Pacer fans, but losing Reggie Miller and Ron Artest has killed this team.

Not applicable:

Cleveland: I think they have a bunch of crap, but I'd trade our team for LeBron, so I guess a 1-man core wins out.

After looking at the above list, we have to have Bogut pan out or else I think we have problems........

I think if you consider our core... it's interesting to think of our place in the EC right now... are we the 2nd to the worse team really?

That is kind of an unfair assessment. The Hawks have some great young talent, but it is largely redundant talent.

Given the nature of the draft, the Hawks probably draft a real power forward this summer and trade one of the small forwards for a legit point guard. A real power forward would help mask Zaza's deficiencies in the paint. Those moves would result in a better team.

People want to compare the Hawks to the Suns or Pistons because of their untraditional line-ups but until the Hawks get a two-time MVP or 4-time defensive player of the year such comparisons are crap and we need to get a little more traditional.

• Admin

you can't base us on anything but potential right now. How far will Josh go, How far will Marvin go. If you go by JJ, I put us just outside the top 10, maybe 12 or so. But everyone else is just potential.

Right now I would say yes, we are in the bottom 5.

Quote:

That is kind of an unfair assessment. The Hawks have some great young talent, but it is largely redundant talent.

Given the nature of the draft, the Hawks probably draft a real power forward this summer and trade one of the small forwards for a legit point guard. A real power forward would help mask Zaza's deficiencies in the paint. Those moves would result in a better team.

People want to compare the Hawks to the Suns or Pistons because of their untraditional line-ups but until the Hawks get a two-time MVP or 4-time defensive player of the year such comparisons are crap and we need to get a little more traditional.

Well said. We will have a MUCH better idea what our corp will look like after the draft. Maybe after the lottery but I doubt we get a top 5 pick.

Quote:

how are the listed players redundant? all three can be on the floor together.

Crap Cores:

Quote:

Washington:Butler, Jamison, Arenas

Celtics: Pierce and a lot of overhyped junk.

Sixers: AI, Iggy, CWebb. Was a great core in 1999.

Indiana: JO, Peja, ? I'll get flamed for this by Pacer fans, but losing Reggie Miller and Ron Artest has killed this team.

I think these cores are going nowhere fast. I add Washington because I think they are just first round playoff fodder. If I were the owners of these teams I would blow them up immediately.

Quote:

you can't base us on anything but potential right now. How far will Josh go, How far will Marvin go. If you go by JJ, I put us just outside the top 10, maybe 12 or so. But everyone else is just potential.

Right now I would say yes, we are in the bottom 5.

Agreed. You are either rating current expected performance, or potential for the future.

Miami will get old and have just Wade. NJ will fall off when Kidd starts to decline more. etc...

In terms of young cores that could really develop into something special if things go right, I like us, orlando, chicago, and toronto

Quote:

Quote:

how are the listed players redundant? all three can be on the floor together.

Well, because the Hawks previous 4 first round picks were used on small forwards. Bargnani (or Thomas, Williams, etc.) is another forward, though at least argueably a real power forward. Assuming he is a power forward, then he will be on the floor with either Marvin or Josh Smith at the Small Forward position. Josh Childress is a more than capable reserve at that same position. So ergo, the Hawks have some redundancy and would be best served by trading a redundant talent for an area of critical need.