• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

At least BK is happy....

TnDawg

Quote:

Outside of Smith and Diaw (who had to go elsewhere to re-discover his game because he didn't have much of one here), who else has really exceeded expectations?

That's half of the 4 1st rounders he's drafted. Plus he got what seems like a long term contributor out of the second round, which isn't bad.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Outside of Smith and Diaw (who had to go elsewhere to re-discover his game because he didn't have much of one here), who else has really exceeded expectations?

That's half of the 4 1st rounders he's drafted. Plus he got what seems like a long term contributor out of the second round, which isn't bad.

Who would that be? Ivey, Donta, Salim?

Donta probably has the most potential of the bunch but he will be hard pressed to show it behind the myriad of other small forwards currently on the roster.

Ivey is lucky to be in the NBA at this point.

Salim is a hired gun, nothing more really than an Eddie House. Maybe he becomes a solid bench scorer but he is never going to get extended minutes on this team with JJ in front of him.

Quote:

Salim is a hired gun, nothing more really than an Eddie House. Maybe he becomes a solid bench scorer but he is never going to get extended minutes on this team with JJ in front of him.

Right. Which isn't bad for a second rounder. If I had to guess, I'd say every year there are anywhere from 0 to 5 2nd rounders who will actually be playing 5 years down the line in the NBA. Salim looks like a guy who will have a long career in the NBA as a flat out scorer off the bench. That's not bad.

Look at the next guys drafted after him:

Daniel Ewing, Duke

Brandon Bass, LSU

C.J. Miles, Skyline H.S. (Tex)

Ricky Sanchez, IMG Academy

Ersan Ilyasova, Ulker Istanbul

Ronny Turiaf, Gonzaga

Travis Diener, Marquette

Von Wafer, Florida State

I think we probably got the right guy. Either way, the first round is what really matters. If you get a 2nd rounder or an undrafted guy who can contribute, it's a bonus.

BK got Salim, Batista, Ivey, Donta. Nothing that'll get him nominated for executive of the year, but it's not bad

And you are dead wrong.

The foundation of the Memphis Grizzlies is centered around Pau Gasol and Shane Battier. Everything around them has been very fluid during Jerry West's term as the GM there. The only positive move he has made that helps that team long term was trading his mistake draft pick Drew Gooden for Mike Miller. That's it. Jerry West's drafts with the Grizzlies have been horrible. He has not produced a single starter for his team via the draft. He had the opportunity to take Amare Stoudemire instead of Drew Gooden. Billy Knight would have drafted Stoudemire, guaranteed. That's the type of move BK makes.

If it weren't for BK's decision to draft Pau and Shane, the Grizzlies wouldn't be a playoff team. Billy was just never given the time to see it through and finish what he started in Memphis.

As for BK's draft picks in Atlanta, all have exceeded expectations thus far:

What Boris Diaw is doing in Phoenix is self explanatory. Last time I checked, Boris was drafted by BK based on what BK thought he could become along with the fact that his skill set matched very well with Jason Terry at the time.

Josh Childress has the third highest PER rating from the 2004 draft, tied with Emeka Okafor and behind only Dwight Howard and Al Jefferson in that stat. Josh Smith is either 6th or 7th in PER rating from that draft class. From the 2005 class, the only player that improved as much as Marvin did throughout the year was Raymond Felton. Marvin will do nothing but continue the improvement he had during his rookie season, and he's going to be just 20 years old when the 2006-2007 season starts.

Quote:

Josh Childress has the third highest PER rating from the 2004 draft, tied with Emeka Okafor and behind only Dwight Howard and Al Jefferson in that stat
. Josh Smith is either 6th or 7th in PER rating from that draft class.

Luol Dengs PER is higher than Childress'.

So is Devin Harris'.

Wrong.

Luol Deng's PER for his two seasons is 15.01.

Josh Childress's PER for his two seasons is 15.52.

Devin Harris made a run at the end of the season that pushed his PER rating up, as his was 16.1, so he did jump ahead of Josh Childress and Emeka Okafor.

He's not insulting anyone's intelligence. When he says that fans have as much business talking about his personnel moves or decisions as he does talking about running the nuclear regulatory comission, he's simply stating a fact. Just because you are a fan doesn't entitle you to constantly criticize everything he does.

Quote:

Wrong.

Luol Deng's PER for his two seasons is 15.01.

Josh Childress's PER for his two seasons is 15.52.

Devin Harris made a run at the end of the season that pushed his PER rating up, as his was 16.1, so he did jump ahead of Josh Childress and Emeka Okafor.

My bad I thought you were talking about this season. Although I don't know why you would use the average of the two. As players like Devin Harris didn't get time their rookie season, but improved tremendously their second season - While Chilldress didn't improve his numbers at all (if anything they decreased).

Quote:

He's not insulting anyone's intelligence. When he says that fans have as much business talking about his personnel moves or decisions as he does talking about running the nuclear regulatory comission, he's simply stating a fact.
Just because you are a fan doesn't entitle you to constantly criticize everything he does

Being a consumer gives me that right. I buy the product, therefore I can criticize all I want. Now that doesn't mean that I know what I am talking about - but I have the right to say it.

You would think he would be a little more understanding considering how long the fans have supported a sub-par product.

Wrong again.

The only aspect of Josh's game that didn't improve was his scoring. He became a better all around player this year, and that's why his PER rating went from 15.20 in 2004 to 15.83 in 2005. Josh's assists went up, his shooting percentage went up, his three point shooting percentage went up, and his true shooting percentage was among the best in the NBA.

Jeff Francoeur just hit a grand slam, and I lost my train of thought for this post.

Quote:

Wrong again.

The only aspect of Josh's game that didn't improve was his scoring. He became a better all around player this year, and that's why his PER rating went from 15.20 in 2004 to 15.83 in 2005. Josh's assists went up, his shooting percentage went up, his three point shooting percentage went up, and his true shooting percentage was among the best in the NBA.

Jeff Francoeur just hit a grand slam, and I lost my train of thought for this post.

Wrong again.

Scoring went down. Offense Rebounding went down, Defense Rebounding went down, assists went down, FTA's went down, FT% went down, TO's went up, Personal Fouls went up.

I'm guessing that what you are trying to get at was that BK made the right pick (with Childress).

If tha draft was to be done over - would Atlanta draft Josh Childress in that position again?

Omeka Okafor

Dwight Howard

Ben Gordon

Shaun Livingston

Devin Harris

Josh Childress

Luol Deng

Rafeal Araujo

Andre Igoudala

Luke Jackson

Bull sh_t..Being a fan , buying tickets, and supporting the Hawks for more years than you have been alive gives me and any other fan every right to criticize BK's performance..BK is an arrogant azz that has yet to prove anything as a GM..When he has a team that approaches .500 then maybe people will stop questioning him..

• Premium Member

Quote:

Just because you are a fan doesn't entitle you to constantly criticize everything he does.

I tried to stay out of this... but this is just crazy talk.

I guess, the fans should have just shut up last year when Belk used his power as Governor to derail BK's deal with Phoenix?

Quote:

He's not insulting anyone's intelligence. When he says that fans have as much business talking about his personnel moves or decisions as he does talking about running the nuclear regulatory comission, he's simply stating a fact. Just because you are a fan doesn't entitle you to constantly criticize everything he does.

Its obvious from the above statement BK is an idiot whan it comes not only to PR but also sales. And if you agree with him, you aint the brightlest light in the house either in those departments.

I don't care if its a NBA team or a nuclear plant near my hometown, if I think you are doing a shitty job of it, I can raise hell about it and will. Its called free speech and has something to do with everyone of us having a right to expess our opinions.The other point is we are the consumers, your bread and butter. I would never consider calling a customer an idiot to their face and would be fired immediately if I did so.

BK is a PR disaster and the owners need to shut him up; just like Blank put a muzzle on Mora when he went off the on refs in a press conference last year.Turned out the refs made the right call and Mora looked really ignorant concerning NFL rules on national TV. BK now looks totally ignorant when it comes to customer relations and sales.

If that were true, how did his PER rating go up? PER rating takes into account scoring, rebounding, assists, blocked shots, steals, turn overs, missed shots, made shots, free throw attempts......if he declined in every category, then how did his PER rating go up 63 points?

Quote:

If that were true, how did his PER rating go up? PER rating takes into account scoring, rebounding, assists, blocked shots, steals, turn overs, missed shots, made shots, free throw attempts......if he declined in every category, then how did his PER rating go up 63 points?

His PER rating went up because of his FG% (which weighs very heavily in rating)

Check the stats - he did decline in every category I mentioned.

Quote:

Yes, they would draft Josh Childress again. Chances are though, Atlanta wouldn't have the opportunity to take him if that draft were done over again. Childress would probably go no lower than 4th.

I respectfully disagree

Dwight Howard

Emeka Okafor

Luol Deng

Devin Harris

Ben Gordon

Josh Smith

Andre Igoudala

Al Jefferson

Would all get chosen before Childress.

"Yes, they would draft Josh Childress again. Chances are though, Atlanta wouldn't have the opportunity to take him if that draft were done over again. Childress would probably go no lower than 4th. "

Howard

Okafur

Gordon

Livingston

Harris

All these guys would still go ahead of Chillz..

Deng

Iggy

Nelson

Smoove

Jefferson

Telfair

These are all guys that should have been taken ahead of Chillz in retrospect..

Then you have guys like

Duhon

Harrison

Varejao

Martin

These guys were drafted well below Chillz and you would be hard pressed to say at this point they aren't equal if not more valuable.

You are so hung up on worshipping BK that you totally lack any kind of perspective..If that draft was held today Chillz would be somewhere in the early to mid teens..