• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

$5 to any1 who cites 1 finals team with 2 start Sf

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

without a dominant center in the last 20 years.

I'll mail the money to any P.O box or donate it to a charity of your choice as I suspect you may not want your address known.

That's 40 teams to choose from and I'm sure the 2, Sf idea, were it so wonderful, would have at least 1 team to represent it in the NBA finals.

W

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no such thing as two starting Small forwards. Somebody must be a power forward. But what is your criteria for who is a SF or a PF? Is it height? Is it weight? Is it some of both? Is Dennis Rodman a power forward or SF? What is Elton Brand? Was Karl Malone 6'9? How about James Worthy? Barkley? Was Hakeem a PF or a center? How about Bill Russell? Wasn't he about 6'9?

Well how about skill sets? Doesn't Al have PF skill sets? But he is 6'9. How about Dirk? He's 7 ft, but does he have a PF or a Center's game?

The point is that it is totally subjective. Detroit doesn't have a size problem because they win. We do because we don't win. The same goes for Phoenix, and the Clippers (unless you think Kaman is an elite center)

Guest Walter

Quote:

Well does Kevin Duckworth count as a dominant center? And do you think of Jerome Kersey and Clyde Drexler as SFs?

And Kevin Duckworth is at least a "C" and not a hybrid Pf/C.

W

Quote:

There is no such thing as two starting Small forwards. Somebody must be a power forward. But what is your criteria for who is a SF or a PF? Is it height? Is it weight? Is it some of both? Is Dennis Rodman a power forward or SF? What is Elton Brand? Was Karl Malone 6'9? How about James Worthy? Barkley? Was Hakeem a PF or a center? How about Bill Russell? Wasn't he about 6'9?

Well how about skill sets? Doesn't Al have PF skill sets? But he is 6'9. How about Dirk? He's 7 ft, but does he have a PF or a Center's game?

The point is that it is totally subjective. Detroit doesn't have a size problem because they win. We do because we don't win. The same goes for Phoenix, and the Clippers (unless you think Kaman is an elite center)

But I'll give you an answer, the 97 Bulls. Lineup

Kerr

Jordan

Pippen

Rodman

Longley

2 SF Pippen and Rodman

There you go. My charity

Hosea Williams feed the Hungry

http://www.hoseafeedthehungry.org

• Premium Member

I will give you credit on one point...

Phoenix doesn't have a forward problem because they win.

However, if they were losing it would be more than just their Forwards under the microscope. I think Lack of C would be the fist thing.

Also, I don't think if Detroit were losing that it would be seen as a Forward problem.. mainly because their forwards/Center are the most productive part of their game.

Our problem is easily recognizable. If we do what many of you suggest, we lost the skillset of PF. Meaning that we will have no low post scorer and too many shooters... Just like in the old days, teams will flood the lane, and control all the rebounds. And will beat us...

Quote:

without a dominant center in the last 20 years.

I'll mail the money to any P.O box or donate it to a charity of your choice as I suspect you may not want your address known.

That's 40 teams to choose from and I'm sure the 2, Sf idea, were it so wonderful, would have at least 1 team to represent it in the NBA finals.

W

sometimes this board is too damn negative!

Guest Walter

Did you ever see Rodman defend a Sf? No. Did you ever see Rodman slash? No. Handle the ball? No. Rodman was a Pf all the way. Did you ever see Rodman not have interior position or ever not get an expected rebound. NO. No dice. Skill-wise Rodman was 100% a Pf.

W

• Premium Member

Aside of being a fan of UK basketball... I'm also a fan of Maryland Basketball. I can't have you rewriting HISTORY on Drexler may having played 2 minutes at the Sf position in one year to support your weak argument.

Let's ask the question that should basically shut you up...

If Drexler was a Sf, why didn't the Trailblazers draft MJ??

100$ to anyone who can objectively prove that Smith and Marvin are and always will be SF's.

Bear in mind that despite Al being here Josh played 17% of his time at the PF and Marvin played 67% of his minutes there, according to 82games.com

Now you want to change the definition of small forward to suit your purposes. I can make the same argument for any one of the hawks "SF". The point is that if we are going by size, then Rodman is a SF. Is Bruce Bowen a PF? He is defending Dirk in the playoffs. He often defends the teams' best player whether they be a 2, 3 or 4.

Quote:

Did you ever see Rodman defend a Sf? No. Did you ever see Rodman slash? No. Handle the ball? No. Rodman was a Pf all the way. Did you ever see Rodman not have interior position or ever not get an expected rebound. NO. No dice. Skill-wise Rodman was 100% a Pf.

Rodman was a PF on defense, and a nothing on offense. Smith is a PF on defense, TBD on offense. He is the same height, heavier than Rodman. If Rodman was a PF, no reason Smith can't be, even if he is a PF that likes to play on the perimeter on offense at times. We'll see how he plays without Al dominating the post on offense like this past year. Smith seemed to do well in the post on offense when he finally went there in the last month of the season or so, especially when Al was out.

Quote:

Did you ever see Rodman defend a Sf? No.

LOL. Rodman used to defend the 3 all the time. When he was on the Pistons he used to dog Pippen big time.

It was later in his career that he primarily defended the 4/5.

Of course that doesn't mean he was a sf in the strict sense but you really need to stop getting carried away with your hyperbole.

• Premium Member

Chambers was an Allstar and one year he won the MVP of the allstar game.

Barkley was a Pf.

The one thing that Phoenix mastered back then was the three guard set...

But that's different than 2 guards/ 2 Sfs/ C.

Quote:

He can't defeat my Bull's argument, no matter how he tries to redefine the question.

Oh, I'm well aware, I had this same argument in one of the past 100 or so threads Walter has made that all have the same point that no one is buying.

The facts that Walter has refused to listen to throughout his repetitive spamming of the same post:

-Smith and Marvin's positions are not finalized yet, they're both so young

-We don't know which one will be better in the long run

-Current rule changes favor faster, perimiter oriented players rather than slow powerful guys on the inside

-The fact that a certain type of team hasn't won doesn't mean that it won't win in the future

-Even if we were to trade a guy at some point, there's no reason it has to be done now, it's smarter to do it when you actually know what does and doesn't fit

-Nobody here is against having depth and having a young guy coming off the bench, as long as everyone gets minutes

• Premium Member

THE PACERS???

Dale Davis and Antonio Davis were both able to play PF/C by the time they became pros...

Moreover, Jalen Rose, didn't line up as Sf... Derrick McKey did.. When Jalen did play, he was PG.

I don't think they ever had Mark Jackson at the same time as Jalen Rose, but I could be wrong. I recall them trading Jackson for Rose... And the second time around, I think Jackson was a Knick?

Quote:

Quote:

But I'll give you an answer, the 97 Bulls. Lineup

Kerr

Jordan

Pippen

Rodman

Longley

2 SF Pippen and Rodman

There you go. My charity

Hosea Williams feed the Hungry

http://www.hoseafeedthehungry.org

Jordan was a SG up until he got old and slow with the Wizards. He wasn't a SF with the Bulls - he was the ideal SG.