• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Chad Ford comment

MrAloha

From the previously posted Chad Ford article:

"What won't happen, I'm told, is the Hawks reaching for a point guard like UConn's Marcus Williams. Some have speculated that the Hawks will go for Williams because he's the best point guard on the board.

Two things shoot a hole in that theory. First, I'm told that the Hawks don't feel he's a great fit for their system. Second, Williams is a far cry from Chris Paul and Deron Williams, two players the Hawks passed on because they felt they didn't have the talent Marvin Williams did."

What is the Hawks "system" and how why is Williams not a good fit ?

How far apart is Marcus W. from Deron W. ?

What kind of PG do the Hawks want ?

Are Williams and Iverson that different ?

And who told Chad Ford that Williams is not a great fit ?

• Admin

to answer your questions, in order...

We don't know what our system is

Realistically, probably not very far apart.

a PG that isn't a traditional PG.

Very different, Iverson is a star, Williams is an unknown.

Billy Knight did, By way of numerous comments that we don't need a traditional PG.

Just remember my post about keeping an eye on Ronnie Brewer. With Joe Johnson out there, the Hawks don't need a traditional point guard. Do not be surprised if Ronnie Brewer is very high on the list if the Hawks cannot get one of the bigs in the draft.

Quote:

What is the Hawks "system" and how why is Williams not a good fit ?

I can't speak for what Woody or BK would say, but the way I see it, part of our system is JJ coming from behind screens to get the ball towards the top of the key, and then creating with the dribble, either by penetrating and scoring, by putting a move and shooting a J, by penetrating and dishing when the help D comes, or by passing it to slashers or Zaza in the post. Most of our plays are generated by JJ's talent and the attention it receives when he has the ball.

The perfect compliment to these skills would be a PG who is great at bringing the ball up under pressure so JJ doesn't have to worry about it, and then lets JJ do the ballhandling in the halfcourt. The guy should also play great D as our C is not a good help defender, and should run the break with the young guns.

The kind of guy who fits this better is a guy like Foye, more of a combo guard with great handles who can play solid D and hit open shots coming from JJ's passes. A traditional PG like Marcus would either mean that you take away that PG's playmaking skills alot because he's not dominating the ball, or you're taking away from JJ's skills for the same reason.

I'm guessing that that's what they're talking about.

That's a good point and could very well be the case. If Billy could get a guy like Shaun Livingston that fit the prototype he has set for a player, then I think he would do it. This is why I think Ronnie Brewer is a strong possibility.

However, when looking at BK's history when he's drafting point guards, he doesn't necessarily apply his desire for long, athletic players to this position. He does draft a lot of combo guards to be point guards though. In Memphis, he drafted Will Solomon out of Clemson. Solomon spent a year with the Grizzlies and had a decent rookie season for a second round pick. He's now one of the top guards in Europe. In Atlanta, Billy has drafted Royal Ivey and Salim Stoudamire. Both are more combo guards than point guards.

In this case, Randy Foye probably does become a good possibility as he does fit as a guy that can bring the ball up, dish it off to Joe, and move around looking for an opening to take his own shot.

Quote:

And that's first round pic by the way. At the Hawks draft party.

I can't decide if I want to go to the party this year. Last year I went for the first 10 picks or so, then we went to my place and had a big party for the rest of the draft. This year should be interesting because you know that the odds of us trading our top pick and/or trading to get a 2nd 1st rounder are pretty high. I don't want to miss any action, so I can't decide if I should just stay at Philips (expensive drinks though), have a big party at home, or do 1/2 and 1/2 like last year. I don't think I'll do the latter.

Looks like some people think that Roy will be gone by the time we pick. (Good news is that that leaves more bigs for us.)

"Chad Ford: (12:32 PM ET ) Roy's stock is very hot right now. Several NBA GMs told me that his agent is refusing workouts right now to anyone not in the Top 5. I think he may be the safest player in the draft. He does everything well, has four years of college experience and could help just about every team in the lottery. He doesn't have the amazing upside of other players, but I think just about everyone believes he'll have a very good NBA career. Teams like the Blazers (No. 1), Bulls (No. 2), Bobcats (No. 3) and Hawks (No. 4) would all have to consider him. He doesn't have the typical upside that you expect from a No. 1 pick, but he'd make all of those teams better."

"Chad (san diego): Assuming that Portland lands in the top two, what do they do for their team to make an immediate impact?

Chad Ford: (12:46 PM ET ) I think they should look to trade. They have way too many young players for Nate McMillan's taste as it is. My guess is that McMillan will push for Brandon Roy if they keep the pick because he wants someone with experience who plays defense."

Interesting - but I think Morrison and Roy have a regional draw as well for Portland.