• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

O'BRYANT workout brings high praise

DrReality

Draftexpress watched 7 foot center Patrick O'Bryant workout and couldn't say enough good things about him. They see him as one of the few true centers in this draft. At only 19 y.o. they think he has massive up side. They list him at #9 in their recent mock. The whole article can be read at:

http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1302

My big concern with Splitter is the rumors about his buyout - will he actually be available to play next season? If not, I would pass on him in favor of O'Bryant.

I definitely liked what I saw of O'Bryant in the tournament. Granted it is very small sample set but outside of Noah, Big Baby and Thomas there wasn't a more impressive big man. Aldridge looked decidedly mediocre.

No question he had the better year, and really no doubt he should be picked much higher. I guess my impression of Aldridge was really affected by that LSU game.

O'Bryant is a big time project and risk pick, but he does posses the size and athleticism that the Hawks need. Whether that size and athleticism translates into some semblance of production is unknown.

That's the status of the NBA today . . . . it is built on projects. And everyone says that guys will be two, three projects, but that is a substantial portion of the entire league. Whether he is an option for us will be his team workouts and where we pick.

If we are even thinking of drafting Splitter then the agreement MUST be worked out BEFORE drafting him. If nothing is worked out AND signed, then the Hawks don't take the chance. With the loss of next year's pic (hopefully) we have to make this one count. Splitter appears to be a good prospect, but the contract situation doesn't make him attractive for the Hawks right now.

O'Braynt could be what the doctor ordered or just another 7 foot bust. It will be interesting to see if BK actually works him out. We'll know more once we get a list of who the Hawks are bringing in.

CBS Sports list him as the second center.

2. Patrick O'Bryant Bradley 7-0 250 So.

Dominated the Missouri Valley for two seasons and then proved he was no mid-major farce in the NCAAs, opening eyes with excellent performances. An agile 7-footer, he'll likely wind up a lottery pick.

You have to consider O'Bryant a very intriguing prospect. He's a classic center who blocks shots and plays good defense. 7 feet tall and with a 7'6 wingspan, that's some serious coverage. And he's 250 but still filling out, still working hard in the weightroom to get even stronger than he already is.

Like almost every big man, it's gonna take him awhile to get up to speed in the NBA, but IMO he's got some really great potential. Now whether he's a 'BK type' of player, who knows? 34853_shakehead.GIF

• Premium Member

Now, I have to see it to believe it...

Maybe the mainstream papers.... if the reporter isn't lazy... You know first it was Mitch Album, now.. payola to the draftexpress.. I don't know who to believe anymore. That's why I'm leary on most Euros because the bulk of the information that can be abstracted about Euros come from sources that may be tainted?

still, I know that O'Bryant dominated gray in the Pitt game... So I can give him the benefit of the doubt... but I need a glowing report from a different source.

Quote:

That's the status of the NBA today . . . . it is built on projects. And everyone says that guys will be two, three projects, but that is a substantial portion of the entire league. Whether he is an option for us will be his team workouts and where we pick.

Agree completely that the NBA is all about projects these days - the marketing people should really think about contacting Home Depot since there are some obvious synergies between the two businesses.

From a fans perspective, I really do not like the idea of so many young "projects" being in the NBA. I really wish guys like Marvin Williams and Josh Smith would go to college and play at least three years before going pro. There are the obvious exceptions like LeBron, but we have to remember he is the exception and not the rule.

if o'bryant shows to be what we need in workouts, i wouldn't be upset if we got him, just like i wouldn't if we got sene if he showed he could at least contribute defensively soon

o'bryant can work around the post and is a BIG guy...we could definitely use that...even if he takes 2 years and thus is a backup to zaza for 2 seasons, his presence off the bench should be good

but it all depends on workouts

i'd like for us to get someone who can play center next to pg/jj/marvin/smoove or else get a pg like marcus williams and then use al to get a center along with going after nene/pryz and bringing over danderson

Yeah I'd have to agree HCSM - I'm a little leary of O'Bryant because I follow the conference he's from (MVC), but the competition there isn't bad and he looked great in the tourney. That's more than I know about the Euros, especially the young ones.