• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bargnani commentary

exodus

from the RealGM board'

"i see a lot of excitement for bargnani on this board, and having watched the euroleage quite a bit i'm a little confused at the hype.

-you guys do realize that bargnani only averaged 12 minutes/game in euroleague and didnt even start. do you really want to spend the number 4 (pending the lottery) pick on a bench player who played less than half the game in a much less physical league....

also, the comparisons to dirk and gasol would probably only be spoken by people who havent ever seen this guy play. gasol is much tougher and much better on the post. dirk is much better at creating his own shot. bargnani is, at this point in his career at least, a catch and shoot perimeter player with some driving abilities and very limited post moves. his perimeter tendency also cuts down on his rebounding.

i'd say hes closer to a (much softer) donyelle marshall. good for catch and shooting, good for spreading out the defense but dont expect gasol's post moves or dirks creativity."

This is the guy I am really worried about. I think he has the best chance among all the top picks to be a complete bust.

Here is a John Nash quote on Bargnani..

Quote:

“Offensively, he’s a face-the-basket shooter,” Nash says. “He’s a very good offensive player, but not a low-post power player.”

I really don't like the sound of that..

Actually he played 21.1 MPG in season and averaged

10.9(PPg) 55.8(FG%) 43.3(3pt%) 71(ft%) 4.1(Rpg) 1.3(spg) and 0.9(BPG).

Bargnani stats

I watched europe basketball for a long time now and they don't really like to play their young players in their best team. Every team like for example Benneton where he plays has a junior and other youth teams. He should of been playing for the junior team, but of course he is way better than the players his age so he made their best team.

It's almost same thing in highschool where you have fr,So, Jr and senior teams. I think he can develop better if he goes to nba, due to better coaching and trainings.

People compare Bargnani and Gasol because they put up almost identical numbers in the same league at the same age, not necessarily because they play the same way.

Also, Bargnani is about the age of a college sophomore--except he's playing in the second best league in the entire world (a much better league than the NCAA's), so it shouldn't be a surprise that he gets less minutes than more established, stronger veterans.

I think that might be a little bit of an overstatement. Honestly, if you think BK would get fired for drafting Bargnani (who many, many teams are drooling over), you need to think again. I don't know if Bargnani is the right pick or not for this team, but I know the pick could be justified by saying he's a big body that fills a hole.

This is the kind of stuff that really scares the crap out of me about Bargnani. There are so many conflicting reports from reputable and non-reputable sources it is hard to get a real feel for what his game is like. If he is a perimeter player I don't care if he is 8' tall, he makes no sense for the Hawks.

Agree 100% EDS...we've got perimeter shooting already. This isn't the year to take a flyer on a guy like this. We need help now - and I would imagine that BK knows this (since his paycheck likely depends on it).

Realistically, Marvin is a good shooter who will likely improve - 6'9" with hops versus 7' (?) ...we'd be duplicating again.

We need muscle.

• Moderators

As for whether Bargnani would be a duplication, it would matter more to what he can do defensively than what he does offensively. If he has a jumpshooting/driving game but can provide size, block shots and effectively rebound on the interior then I don't think he would be a duplication. If he would play more like Radmanovich then I totally agree.

Well from the limited the pictures/video I've seen, Bargnani is pretty thin. Strength is a big deal in the NBA if you want to survive in the paint (IMO). Heck look at Ben Wallace...strong as an ox - offensive skill set: non-existant. But he's looking for a max contract and will probably get it.

Bargnani scares me too. The word is, he is a defensive liability against a 3(too slow, got torched by Josh Smith 2 years ago in an exhibition game) or a 4(too weak). Draft Express says that the same things are being said about Bargnani as was Skita 3 years ago. We have got to start drafting some bigs to do the dirty work, and Bargnani just isn't what we need right now.

Drafting Andrea may not be the pick to get BK fired. It sure will lead to it if Andrea follow the example of nearly every other Euro Big Man. If we want to take a chance on a 7'0/225 Euro Big Man. Then trade for Skita. Skita has been in the league for a few years. He should know the game by now. Could contribute right away. If not then he should pass on Andrea. Draft Shelden Williams or Bryant with our pick if he want a Big Man that bad. Just avoid this kid at all cost.

Quote:

Another overrated Euro Big Man. I read he can play SF and defend the SF position well. That explain why BK like him so much. At least I know who the player is now that will get BK fired ASAP if he draft him.

Funny because Gasol, who was one of the first successful Euro big men in this era was recruited by BK. So was Boris Diaw. Yeah those guys really suck.

Please. People just discriminate against Euro big men for the sake of discriminating even though they are completely ignorant about the talent or skill level of the player. There are NBA draft experts and scouts that have Bargnani as the highest regarded player in this draft. If by some miracle we were in position to draft him, BK should be applauded.

Quote:

Drafting Andrea may not be the pick to get BK fired. It sure will lead to it if Andrea follow the example of nearly every other Euro Big Man. If we want to take a chance on a 7'0/225 Euro Big Man. Then trade for Skita. Skita has been in the league for a few years. He should know the game by now. Could contribute right away. If not then he should pass on Andrea. Draft Shelden Williams or Bryant with our pick if he want a Big Man that bad. Just avoid this kid at all cost.

First of all, we would be lucky to be in a position to pass on Bargnani considering he's a lock for a top 5 pick.

Second of all, unlike Skitishville, Bargnani actually played in the Euroleague. ANd he didn't just play in the Euroleague, he received the rising star award.

As far as the guy who made the ignorant comment he didn't start on his team, that had nothing to do with his abilities but everything to do with the coaching philosophy. It's the same freaking reason Marvin Williams didn't start for UNC even though he was clearly the most talented player on the team.

As far as Bargnani being taken off the dribble, guess what? He's not going to be guarding SFs in the NBA. And you completely made up the part about him being a terrible defender because that is actually something he is commended for. In that league, on that them, at that age, there is no way you get minutes without showing effort on the defensive side of the ball which Bargnani has not failed to do and despite the limited playing time he became one of the renowned shot blockers in that league. The effort it certainly there defensively. It's just the weight needs to be added just like any young player.