• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Expectations for Joe Johnson

Popeye

• Premium Member

Welcome.

That's a bit high as far as Points/Assists and if he did it I would be pleased as punch.

I think a better question is can JJ make the allstar team next year??

With Vince, AI, Dwade, Lebron, and Arenas all in the East, will JJ ever be an Allstar?

In November JJ struggled to get used to a new role. In April he was obviously worn out.

Dec-March he averaged 21 pts and 7 assists shooting 47%, 38.7% from 3. I would expect his numbers to be very similar next year.

I would like to see his turnovers go down though. If he gets some help in the backcourt that should make a big difference.

For JJ to be considered an elite player and lead the Hawks to the playoffs, he needs to average around 24 to 28 points a game. He also needs to bring it every night. He has the scoring ability of players like Wade,Carter,Redd but doesn't have the aggressiveness they have. One game he would score 35 ,the next game 15. He needs 25 every game even if he has to take thirty shots or more.The great scores get their points during the course of a game by being aggressive and attacking the rim when their jumper is off or offensive rebounding. I personally don't think that JJ has the mentality to average 25 points. 18 to 20 point scorers are nice players but the true elite scorers average 24 and up. Would JJ scoring 25 points a game make the Hawks better? Who knows,but it would make him an elite player.

Quote:

Out of all of the things JJ does well. Getting to the FT Line seem to be one area he is lacking. I know it was brought on this board many times.

Which he def should improve upon seeing that he's such a great free throw shooter. I believe if JJ attacks the basket more, and more importantly we get some interior offense to take some pressure off of him, he could very well score 20+ PPG next year to go along with 6 APG and 5 RPG.

• Moderators

I agree that JJ needs to attack the rim more and draw more FTs but definitely disagree that he should shoot the ball until he gets 25 points or more even if he is shooting 30+ times. Attack the rim more if your shot is off but don't turn into a chucker who will take 35 shots to get 26 points just to feed your ego.

That is not JJ's game..he is a mid to long range jumpshooter..He rarely goes to the basket or posts up..When he attempted to drive the lane last year he didn't have alot of success..His offense is more along the lines of a Ray Allen, not a Lebron James, so he is never going to get to the line alot.

• Moderators

Quote:

That is not JJ's game..he is a mid to long range jumpshooter..He rarely goes to the basket or posts up..When he attempted to drive the lane last year he didn't have alot of success..His offense is more along the lines of a Ray Allen, not a Lebron James, so he is never going to get to the line alot.

I think JJ has the physical skills to learn how to get to the line a lot more often. Heck, Reggie Miller got to the line a lot and he certainly was more like Ray Allen than Lebron James. JJ needs to develop a skillset that gets him to the line more often, IMO. He is definitely young enough and talented enough to do it.

Quote:

I think we will see more production from ZaZa when he gets some help underneath. If JJ does imcrase his numbers, that's probably not a good thing for us.

Could not agree more. If JJ's numbers increase dramatically it likely means none of the young players are filling Al's void (assuming Al is no longer with the team). Now, if the team is winning that is not such a bad thing but if they are not improving in the win column then that is not a good thing.

• Premium Member

Strangely enough,

Reggie Miller made people foul him. Funny to say, but he ran off picks, he had a hesitated jump shot with a funny release. It's like holding up a bone to a dog that's running at you. He can't stop.

Most defenders either couldn't stop after coming around the pick or thought they could jump high enough to block the funny release... Either way, Reggie knew how to throw a limb out there and get the call.

JJ does a nice runner through the lane but he can't draw too many fouls on that. He just doesn't drive for scores much as somebody already stated.

I think the numbers we see for JJ are authentic.

What we need is an OG who is drive and dish.

I resisted last year, but if we could have gotten Felton, he might have been a good choice for us... not to mention Paul.

Quote:

I resisted last year, but if we could have gotten Felton, he might have been a good choice for us... not to mention Paul.

Felton could have been good. I'm not sure who this "Paul" is that you're referring to.

Yeh, Diesels right.

Reggie Miller, perhaps the most UNATHLETIC FUTURE HALL OF FAME player, frequently went to the FT line b/c he was smart (and he flopped a good bit as well- or made things more dramatic). He always got his man to jump up (and lose position) and he always took the contact. he forced it.

knowing that hes a helluva FT shooter, he expected to go to the LINE.

As for JJ, he might be one to avoid contact? more of the SMOOTH baller?

i dont know but its not that big of a deal. We dont HAVE to have this guy going to the FT line 10+ times a game to win.

do we?

I'm really refering to JJ being passive and laid back when his jumper is off. You never see JJ shooting 7 for 25 or something similar.The true elite scores will have a few games like this every year because it is in their mentality to score points.JJ doesn't have that mentality yet and if he never develops it he will be a nice 18-21 point player but not the elite scorer that the Hawks need from him. They need an cosistant 24-28 points from him every game to put the pressure on the opposing teams and coaches.The top scorers in the NBA might not shoot great every game but they find a way to get their points on a consistant basis.