• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What will be Salim's role next year?

HAWKS1986

When the Hawks first drafted Salim Stoudamire, I thought it was one of the "steals of the draft". However, where does Salim fit on next year's team? If the Hawks get Brandon Roy in the draft, acquire Iverson, does this make Salim 'expendable'?

Salim has talent, but he is very tempermental at times and makes some bad decisions on the court...

Does he have a future with the Hawks or will he be involved in some trade?

What's with the Foye, Roy, and Marcus Williams love? This team is not drafting a guard. We will be getting a big man.

As far as Salim's role goes next year, it's hard to say. Obviously it would be nice for him to get more minutes next year but in order for him to eventually start, Childress would have to come off the bench.

No doubt the Hawks have problems with their interior defense. However, I see the Hawks using their second round pick on a "big man", but will go the same route in which we got ZaZa... Possibly DJ Mbenga from Dallas may be someone the Hawks will pursue ...

The Hawks need a bigger playmaking guard with point guard skills to complement JJ in the backcourt and Brandon Roy is probably the most NBA ready backcourt player out there in the draft... Roy would have an immediate impact....

• Moderators

Quote:

When the Hawks first drafted Salim Stoudamire, I thought it was one of the "steals of the draft". However, where does Salim fit on next year's team? If the Hawks get Brandon Roy in the draft, acquire Iverson, does this make Salim 'expendable'?

Next year he will have the same role he was expected to have for his career here - instant offense off the bench. If he doesn't have attitude issues, he should be a high quality reserve in Atlanta for a while.

If you refine Salim's skills and knowledge of the game he could be become a very dangerous threat off the bench. I would not move a guy that can shoot the ball like he does this early.

Look at Jason Terry. He is finally coming into his own and doing very well!!

It takes years people to realize players potential and most of you guys don't realize that!!

The only young guy I would potentially package with Al Harrington would be Chillz. I think Chillz will be a very good player in this league too and the only reason I would listen to deals with him is because of the logjam at the 2 and 3.

But it would always be my practice not to get rid of potentially good players in years 1 thru 3. It is just too early.

I agree with most of the comments, even JohnnyBravo for once...lol. As I commented a few days ago, I think Lue and Salim and even the guy we brought up at the end of the year are redundant, we dont need two or three SG's in PG bodies that dont really play much defense. AI would add to that list and definitely make them expendable but I dont see us getting AI. If we draft Roy or Marcus Williams (which I also dont see happening, I bet BK would take Gay or Carney maybe even before Roy) then Lue and Salim slide further down the bench and Ivey is for sure gone. Actually Ivey is probably gone no matter what. I'd like to see us keep Salim for a long time and expect him to improve but he'll have to improve a good bit or else he'll always just be a valuable scorer off the bench, not a starter.

I believe Salim does have potential, but the Hawks should NOT have to wait 'years' for him to 'blossom'. In baseball, you can put a player in the minor leagues and let a player grow, but in the NBA the learning curve has to be much shorter.

Players like Chris Paul, Devin Harris and even Raymond Felton are young players and have been consistent contributors for their respective teams, but it didn't take years for them to make significant progress as a NBA player.

Quote:

I believe Salim does have potential, but the Hawks should NOT have to wait 'years' for him to 'blossom'. In baseball, you can put a player in the minor leagues and let a player grow, but in the NBA the learning curve has to be much shorter.

Players like Chris Paul, Devin Harris and even Raymond Felton are young players and have been consistent contributors for their respective teams, but it didn't take years for them to make significant progress as a NBA player.

Those guys also got minutes. Salim can only get better if we put him on the floor

Quote:

I think you trade Lue and make Salim the primary point coming off of the bench. The problem is that we would need to acquire another backup 2. Maurice Ager might fall to us in the second round.

i agree with trading lue and keeping salim. ager probably won't last until the 2nd round. i like james white from cincy- 6'7" sg with crazy athleticism. nobody's talkin about him. i think he'll be a 2nd round sleeper.

Speaking of James White...you should search his videos on youtube.com. He can go between-the-legs from the free throw line or windmill from there or a double pumping two handed tomahawk from there. There is one where he goes beteen the legs (from inside the charity stripe) and you can actually see him looking down into the rim. Seriously, his eyes were above the rim.

• Moderators

Quote:

For a second rounder, you have to be happy if they are a contributor to the team and estatic if they turn out to be a quality starter. Salim is never going to be the next Gilbert Arenas or Michael Redd (who took a long time to develop), but he is already a productive contributor to the team. His learning curve has been pretty short for a second rounder, IMO, because he primarily is on the floor to provide instant offense which he already does.