• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

790 the rag

Yeti

Change none to some.

I'm very happy with the progress this team has made over the past two years. My goal was not to build a team that can make the playoffs. My goal was to build a team that can win a championship, and I believe that is the Hawks goal as well. Championships aren't built upon the quick fix, which is what some on this board want.

The fact is, we improved our record by 13 games this past season. If we improve by 13 games next season, that's 39 wins. IMO, the Hawks will be within the normal progression of a young team if that happens.

There is a difference between a critical, hard noised interview designed to get at what the ownership is thinking and what is going is occurring on 790. But since you don't listen you really have no true understanding of the situation...

Quote:

Quote:

The guys on 790 are pretty good IMHO - how do you interview a train wreck like the Hawks...take off the rose colored glasses people.

Not like a belligerent drunken conductor, I'd guess?

Some people like the slam-your-town coverage that's popular up north, but I find it foolish and exasperating. Oddly enough, it tends to go hand-in-hand with outright ignorance.

It's worse up here than you think, too.

I can understand trying to get to the issues, but do it with some tact. They are your hometown team and should be treated with some respect.

I heard Steak Shapiro say that he had been invited to the war room for the Hawks draft last year, and that "I probably won't be invited back." The further that talk radio goes, the more outlandish it gets. That means its about entertainment and not journalism. As often as not, I turn both 790 and 680 off.

Quote:

..That means its about entertainment and not journalism...

Yeah, it seems to be going more and more that way here lately on 790 (sometimes they're pretty funny though).

I do think Steak knows his basketball pretty well compared to the pm guys on 680.

Realistically can you imagine being the "flagship station" for the Hawks - an organization about as tight lipped as the NSA...it'd be frustrating.

• Moderators

Quote:

There is a difference between a critical, hard noised interview designed to get at what the ownership is thinking and what is going is occurring on 790. But since you don't listen you really have no true understanding of the situation...

Can you give some concrete examples of problems in the Levenson interview? All I see is generalities on this thread.

I have heard 790 give legit criticism and give uninformed/entertainment value criticism in the past.

I posted a review of the interview a couple of days ago. I am not sure I can remember a particular.

I do remember them having Childress and Smoove in the wrong draft class.

One interviewer brought up the rumor of problems within the ownership group (Atlanta v. Washington) and he didn't like the response that Levinson gave.

I whish I could give you more specifics at this point in time, but I am writing my dissertation and my memory for this stuff is rather transient.

• Moderators

Quote:

I posted a review of the interview a couple of days ago. I am not sure I can remember a particular.

I do remember them having Childress and Smoove in the wrong draft class.

One interviewer brought up the rumor of problems within the ownership group (Atlanta v. Washington) and he didn't like the response that Levinson gave.

I whish I could give you more specifics at this point in time, but I am writing my dissertation and my memory for this stuff is rather transient.

I remember reading that post. The Chills/Smoove in the wrong class is indicative of someone who is not a bigtime NBA fan but isn't that big a deal. The rumor mongering with the ownership is fair grounds for questions but you probably needed to hear the interview to get an opinion on that. Good luck on the dissertation!