• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bernie gives a hint into BK's mind

frosgrim

On 680 this moring, Bernie gave a good bit of information if one listened carefully.

First, the owners are going to keep spending money. They got the franchise on the cheap and are making up for that now by having to catch up both teams in terms of talent.

Second, the Hawks don't have an interest in AI, or another big name player as we would have to rebuild around that player. I hear this as JJ is our center piece and we have to put talent around him that makes us winners. Bernie also praised J Smoove for his play and emerging skills.

Third, big men are the priority, but only if they are mobile and skilled. He said that the Hawks want to get a big in the draft that has those skills, but if he isn't there then they would go in another direction. My take is, Aldridge or Bargiani, if not, then Roy or Foye.

Fourth, when asked about the vision of the team, Bernie says the Hawks will not be an Eastern version of the Suns. Rather, they want to make a running, atheletic DEFENSIVE team. Hence, this is why they like Woody as the coach- he's a "defense" coach. This was the most interesting part of the interview in that it says that management wants to put a bunch of defensive scramblers on the court.

What does this mean for our off-season? My guess is:

1) Al is gone- no defense and poor rebounding for position

2) Roy is the most likely choice, assuming no trades

3) Ownership talked about adding AI, but BK talked them out of it to stay with the "5 year plan". Yes, Bernie said that there is a FIVE YEAR plan to rebuild this team. So, no big trade for AI or KG, but there maybe something else in the works to get an atletic, skilled big- Chandler? Bosh?

Thanks for the breakdown.

I'd throw Randy Foye in there as a possibility, because he might be more of a defender than Brandon Roy. Foye had drawn some comparisons to Chauncey Billups. That's from NBADraft.net, and even though Aran Smith is a friend of mine, I'm not too keen on some of their comparisons.

In a sense, but the Pistons despite having Flip Saunders as the coach are still a slow-the-pace team that is more half court oriented than full court oriented.

The Hawks want to get out and run more than that.

Ronnie Brewer might be one of the top two or three defenders in the entire draft, plus he brings the type of length that Billy Knight likes. With Brewer being 6'7" with very long arms and versatility, he's a guy that I believe has been on Billy's radar for a long time. Perhaps even moreso than Rudy Gay.

Quote:

Athletic, defensive team sounds a little more Pistons-like. I, personally, love the approach. I like being able to keep a team in the 80's-low 90's somewhat frequently.

Another unexciting team like the late 90's? Who would want to suffer that again? The 90's Hawks was the most boring team to watch in the entire league at that time.

Why not try and build a team that is actually good on both sides of the ball? It looks like ownership wants to build a streaky team that will be not very interesting to watch...

Yeah, that's just how to get the seats filled. These guys are in for a rude awakening if they think people will start going to games just because of winning. It didn't work 10 years ago and probably not now either.

Ronnie Brewer

The last paragraph in the weaknesses section tells the truth. Stan Heath refused to play Ronnie as a point guard up until the latter part of this past season, when Stan was basically trying to save his job. Stan was very much on the hot seat, and he finally put the ball into Ronnie's hands and played him in the point guard role. It was then that Arkansas took off. Stan finally did this around February the 18th, before Arkansas took on Florida. At this time, the team was 16-7 overall with a 5-6 record within the SEC. Once they moved Ronnie to the point position, the team finished the season with a 6-2 record, with their only conference loss coming to Florida in the SEC tournament. The team's overall point production went up, even though Ronnie's scoring went down.

Quote:

Do some of you simply not pay any attention to what was posted or said?

What part of RUNNING, ATHLETIC, and DEFENSIVE team sends off the message that they want to build a boring team?

1.You got to be able to do more on offense than run run run run. You got to be able to Execute aswell. Sort of like SA last year. They beat the Suns at their own game and turn right around and beat Detroit in low scoring games.

The playoffs provide you will different types of teams that play different ways.

If you just build a team around athletic ability and defense you will come away with a very streaky team. Which is what Childress, Smoove, Salim, Al all are. Streaky players. The two Joshes have showed they could play pretty well for half a season. But can they play well for majority of the season?