• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If not Foye or Roy, what about Mardy Collins?

HAWKS1986

There had been talk that Portland may draft Brandon Roy at #4 (I hope not)..However,if it happens, what about the Hawks considering someone like a Mardy Collins from Temple.

He was a four year starter under Temple's John Chaney structured system and got progressively better as a player.

Collins is a solid ball handler, a decent distributor, plays good defense and is 6'6.

The only concern I have is his free throw percentages in college.

We could trade down with NOH and get Collins at #15 no problem I'd imagine.

How about a 3-way with like GS and NOH where we get #9 and #15, GS gets #12 and say Salim or our high 2nd and NOH gets #5?

We could probably get Shelden or O'Bryant at #9 and maybe another big like Sene at #15 or Rondo/Collins/Brewer. Just food for thought...

Well,I am not totally sold on Patrick O'Bryant, despite him being a 7 footer.

Moving down in the draft is definitely an option for the Hawks...

What are your thoughts of N.C. State's Cedric Simmons, an athletic 6'10 frontcourt player who may be a better fit-- on this Hawks' team.

The Hawks need an active front court who can defend.. Batista, John Edwards and HArrington aren't the answer...

I believe Cedric can be a 12.5 ppg/ 9 rbg player, but he is a definitely an athletic, defensive presence the Hawks need...I hope the Hawks can find a way to get someone like a Nene or maybe consider making an offer to reserve Dallas center DJ Mbenga...

Frontcourt for 2006 : Mbenga, Simmons, Nene ...? Mbenga and Simmons would rotate at the power forward/center positions and would give the Hawks depth off the bench...

This is from NBA DRAFT NET about Cedric Simmons....

Strengths: Talented bigman with great length and fluidity ... Tremendous shot blocker due to his huge wingspan (7'4") and quick leaping ability ... Disruptive and active defensively ... Has the size to play center and power forward on the next level ... Uses back to the basket post moves and is showing great progress in his ability to score posting up ... Has developed an effective jump hook ... Displays solid toughness inside. Does not shy away from contact ... Plays hard, good energy ... Terrific rebounder due to his long arms and leaping ability ... Has great hands ... Very fast in the open court, great transition player ... Tremendous feet, his foot speed allows him to rebound out of position and cover a lot of ground defensively ... His body is on it's way. When he adds another 10-15 pounds, he's going to be very tough to contend with inside ... Attacks the basket well ... Has good touch around the basket ... Solid free throw shooter who showed great improvement from his freshman year ... Still very raw, but has great upside and a willingness to work hard to improve ... Vision and passing skills are above average for a post ...

You're right. He is not likely to do that 'immediately', but he could grow into into that type of player...

However, if drafted, he can give the Hawks 18 to 22 minutes a game in his first year and give the team a defensive presence...

At NCSU, he only played two years and in his sophomore year, he did average 11.8 a game...and had a monster game verusus Duke ....28 points/ 7 blocks ...

Just asking...

J.R. Smith apparently wants out of New Orleans and Salim, despite being an offensive talent was in the 'doghouse' for most of 2005 so the speak and had clashed with the coaching staff...

Smith at 6'6 could help the Hawks and bring the type of athlethism , speed and shooting ability that the team needs.. And if Childress is traded, Smith could be a slight upgrade...

Would NO do that trade? I like salim and what he brings but if we are to draft someone like Foye then salim becomes expendable. If we could trade him straight up for JR smith then that may be a good trade. However, JR seems a bit out of control at time, and takes a lot of shots. He is a talented offensive and athletic player but I wouldn't want him if he is going to slow down the development of Josh Smith or Marvin.

One of the needs of the New Orleans Hornets is 'shooting guard' according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune newspaper.

JR Smith is only 20 years old and he did have a 'falling out' of sorts with Byron Scott in regards to playing time, but Smith would be a better fit with the Hawks in terms of a 'run and gun' style of play.

Smith is someone who plays with confidence,and is more of an 'energy player' than someone like a Josh Childress is.

Childress got skills, but he is a very tentative player and looks slow at times and doesn't finish strong at the basket(that's my opinion)

Smith knows how to finish in the open court and has a pretty decent handle. Plus, at 6'6 , he can defend 1, 2 or 3...

JR isn't a 'perfect' player, but an emerging player who could help this Hawks' team.

I don't think JR Smith would impede the development of Josh Smith or a Marvin WIlliams...

I think Smith 'wants to get better' and is working to prove his doubters wrong. He is a gamble that is worth the risk and has a higher upside than Childress and Salim...

Quote:

And if Childress is traded, Smith could be a slight upgrade...

jr is DEFINITELY not an upgrade from chill

all he does is shoot more

he doesn't shoot a higher %, he doesn't defend or rebound or pass better, he isn't an on-floor leader, and his team is looking to trade him

jr is not on the same level as chill, now and definitely not in the future

He's not a good fit for the type of team the Hawks are building. Mardy Collins is a solid player, but he's a slow, unathletic player that is very similar to Aaron McKie. He would not do well in an up tempo style that stresses defense.

Never seen him play but the description of Simmons definitely sounds interesting. If he is available in the low teens then a trade down with NO makes more and more sense for the Hawks - especially if Simmons really is 6'10" with a 7'4" wingspan.