• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jamaal Magloire on the blocks

Diesel

• Premium Member

I don't want him ... however...

Quote:

At 27, Jamaal Magloire should be entering the prime of his NBA career, a time-hardened veteran who knows the intensity of the playoffs and the glamour of an all-star game, a big man in a big man's game who yearns for a return to the spotlight and the starring role he once had.

And while he is respected and admired in his own community — proof coming yesterday when he was surrounded by fans, friends and family at a ceremony honouring him in his native Scarborough — Magloire is at something of a career crossroads, as much the doing of others as himself, and can't even be sure where he'll be in training camp come October.

The 6-foot-11 Magloire is in the centre of swirling trade talks involving the Milwaukee Bucks, for whom he played last season in something of a secondary role and a team poised to hand the centre's job to second-year former No.1 draft pick Andrew Bogut.

It is an unfamiliar situation for Magloire, one he knows is likely to be resolved this summer.

"Once July 1 comes around and teams are starting to make moves, (Milwaukee general manager) Larry Harris has some decisions to make," Magloire said yesterday after unveiling his star on the newly opened Scarborough Walk of Fame. "If that's with me staying in Milwaukee, that's fine; if not, I'll be able to do my work wherever I am."

The Bucks moved Bogut out of position to power forward last season, to let him learn the ropes from Magloire, but Harris said after Milwaukee's first-round playoff exit that Bogut will be at centre next season.

And while it's conceivable Milwaukee would use Magloire in a backup role, it's unlikely to sit well with the veteran, who is entering the final year of a contract that will pay him $8.3 million (U.S.) next year.

An effective rebounder, an intimidating presence in the paint and a veteran of six NBA seasons, Magloire is too good to play second string.

"I think everybody aspires to be a feature player," said Magloire, whose average of 9.5 rebounds per game last season was 13th in the NBA. "I know I have been in the past in New Orleans and I aspire to get back there. If that's in Milwaukee, that's good; if not, I know wherever I end up, that's fine."

Where Magloire found himself yesterday was not unusual for a man revered in large sections of his home town. He, along with nine others, were honoured by the city of Scarborough for their efforts in the community and Magloire said his impact on youth is something he takes with all seriousness.

"I feel that if there's anybody in the city who can make a difference, it's me," he said following the ceremony. "The reason I say that is because a lot of the kids, a lot of these high-risk kids and kids who are not doing the right thing, are so close to my age that I can relate to them in a sense.

"A lot of guys aspire to do what I have done; I can give them nothing but advice and goodwill and I feel good about that."

Quote:

After almost making the 2001 NBA Finals, the Milwaukee Bucks commenced a gradual fire sale that resulted in a 52-loss season a few years later. Reversing their strategy this past off-season, they spent $200 million, still could not manage a winning record and were severely beaten by Detroit in the first round of the playoffs.

So now what?

As certainly as the Bucks need to update those stuck-in-the-'80s uniforms (is it just me, or does anyone get "Miami Vice" / "Knight Rider" flashbacks each time they play?), they must break up this ill-matched, overpriced roster this summer.

Give Herb Kohl and Larry Harris credit for trying to reconstruct a winner, but a $60 million payroll - 13th-highest in the league - doesn't make economic sense for this market or an arena that struggles to support an NBA team. Check that, $60 million would've been fine had Jamaal Magloire, Bobby Simmons and Dan Gadzuric done anything to merit their bloated salaries this season.

Magloire, for whom the Bucks also lost their first-round draft pick, will be traded. Already there are rumors he is headed to Memphis, and there are a number of teams who would like him for his $8.3 million salary slot that comes off the books after next season. Magloire cannot stay, not just because of his lack of productivity, but mostly because his presence impedes the growth of Andrew Bogut.

Would Magloire be an improvement over Zaza?

Quote:

Would Magloire be an improvement over Zaza?

Defensively, a huge improvement. He would be exactly what we needed at the 5. I know Memphis wanted him badly last year when they lost out to the Bucks.

Our 1st round pick would probably get him since the Bucks do not have one this year...Unless of course Memphis desides to offer players plus their 1st...

• Premium Member

This is the last year of his contract.

I don't like the way he plays though... I think he's going to bolt.. which is why N.O. got rid of him.

I'm not willing to trade for him with our pick...

JM would be a serious upgrade at our 5 spot I don't think he will stay here after his contract expires after next season. If we did the Al for JM trade it would be to "rent" JM for a season and then have his expiring cap space. I am conflicted as to whether this is enough.

They may be in the same boat as us with Al, except they're trying to make a move long before Magloire becomes a UFA(?). They've got Bogut like we've got Marvin so maybe they'd actually be interested in swapping pieces. Seems like a pretty good fit at least in the sense that we get a defensive big for Al and they get a decent scorer to team up with Redd and Simmons.

Quote:

i would def do snt al for magloire in a heartbeat

I would do a sign and trade of Al for Magloire as well, because it does fill a need. However, I think the Bucks get the better player in the deal, by far.

The reason it doesn't work is as someone mentioned - it is unlikely the Bucks are going to want to take on Al's salary.

• Premium Member

He's a thug.. Plain and simple. I don't see any rise in his game in fact, I see it getting worse. He's a guy that's getting by simply becuase there is a lack of big men and the league has grown softer... He's more like Oakley than like a good C. I don't want him.

I know we need help defensively down low, but I would prefer a young Pf with good defensive skills than this thug...

how does a "thug" get awards for his community service?

i think he was upset because he was brought in and then the center of the future was drafted..

i say trade Al for him if they'll take it. I don't see a reason in the book you don't do that trade as a Hawks fan. If he really does suck, it's only for a year...

but honestly i remember A LOT of fans on this site pawning to get him last year.

• Moderators

Why is he a thug now? The Oakley comparison is a pretty good one and we could certainly use that rebounding, interior D and toughness in Atlanta. I'd love to add him for the right price.

• Premium Member

The thing about it is this... Oakley never progressed as a PF. I was a Oakley fan when he was with the Bulls.. As his career went on, he never got better.

I see the same thing with JM.

When JM was with N.O. I was thinking " Ok, Dude is a good C, he's going to be something.".

Watching him this year, all he does is foul and foul harder. His game isn't getting any better. I would much rather have Dalembert than Magloire. In fact, I think if you find the right defensive Pf, Zaza is better.

Today..

I subscribe to trading the 5th pick for Petro/#10 from Seattle and picking up either Landlord or Theo..