• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

More on Patrick O'Bryant and Cedric Simmons

KB21

Patrick O'Bryant, Cedric Simmons, Kyle Lowry, and Thabo Sefolosha

I'm starting to think that O'Bryant may be the guy the Hawks will target, even though there is a considerable amount of risk in doing so. If O'Bryant had consistently put up the types of numbers he had against Aaron Gray in the tournament, he'd probably be a lock for the #1 overall pick right now. It's that lack of dominance at Bradley that screams risk. However, even those that may not want to take that risk with the 5th pick cannot deny the tremendous upside this guy brings to the table. Patrick O'Bryant is a legitimate seven footer that is very skillful around the basket, can defend, and can get up and down the floor very well. When you look at his peripherals (size, wingspan, athleticism), his history of playing in an up tempo style, and his projectability, he really does seem like the type of center Bernie Mullin was describing on the radio the other day. Right now, this guy is probably as good of a fit as anyone in the draft for the Hawks.

I get the feeling that Aldridge and Bargnani will be gone by the time we draft.

If we go PG, I'd like to see Foye or maybe Roy.

If we go big, I would much rather get O'Bryant than Shelden or Ty Thomas. It certainly would be a big risk, but if there's one thing we know about BK, he's not afraid to gamble. I would support the pick very nervously.

My biggest concern with O'Bryant is whether reports that he does not have a good "motor" are true. Athleticism only gets you so far, after that you need to have desire and aggression.

What the Hawks really need is a young Alonzo Mourning - a hard nosed intimidator. Of course, every team could use one of those guys.

agreed. But there is not perfect guy out there. If we're taking a big, he's going to be flawed in some way. Either he's going to be smaller than we'd like, not as defensively oriented as we'd like, or there will be questions with desire.

But as we know there were the same questions about J Smith.

The question is what would you rather gamble on.

Personally, I'd rather gamble on O'Bryant developing the right attitude rather than gamble on Shelden Williams growing 2-3 inches.

Quote:

Personally, I'd rather gamble on O'Bryant developing the right attitude rather than gamble on Shelden Williams growing 2-3 inches.

I also wouldn't bank on Shelden getting any better than he is right now. Shelden was the same player as a senior that he was as a junior. There was no improvement in his game. That has to make one wonder if he has maxed out his ability.

• Premium Member

As a Junior... Defensive player of the year.

As a Senior... Defensive player of the year... John Wooden Award Finalist.

You're right. He's not improving. He's stagnant as being the best defensive big in the game.

KB, sometimes, you don't need a whole lot of potential. Sometimes, you can use a player who's really good.

Quote:

agreed. But there is not perfect guy out there. If we're taking a big, he's going to be flawed in some way. Either he's going to be smaller than we'd like, not as defensively oriented as we'd like, or there will be questions with desire.

But as we know there were the same questions about J Smith.

The question is what would you rather gamble on.

At 5, if the Hawks are going big, then I agree gamble on potential since all of the bigs in the draft have some flaw and all are projects. O'Bryant definitely fits the mold of what the Hawks need better then any player in the draft, but he is a huge risk, with big time bust potential.

The real question is whether the Hawks go with more of a sure thing by taking a guard - I am thinking either Roy or Foye. Both seem talented enough to warrant such a high pick and while neither is a likely superstar, they certaintly have a high probability of being good players.

Again, I am totally torn over which way to go. BK needs to figure out whether these big men projects are stiffs or studs.

Well said, but sometimes, not often, a coach can take what appeared to be an unmotivated player and get his motor running. Woody has a ton of flaws as a head coach, but one thing he has done is motivate J. Smith to really improve his game. I don't know if O'Bryant is truely unmotivated or if its something else, but if any coach is going to get a young player moving in the right direction it will be Woody.

That said I would still rather get Roy.

It's true that some coaches motivate better than others, but the player has to want to be good to live up to his potential. If that drive is not there, the player will be inconsistent at best. From reading the article, I'd rather have Cedric Simmons, who is already a great defender and has the potential to be very stout offensively...

I like Obryant and Simmons and would be happy with either one. It would be great if we could trade down and get both but the way Obryants stock is rising that is doubtful. Sorry to put a damper on the pick but the last center we drafted in round 1 was Priest Lauterdale wasnt it?

How about the last center taken by the Hawks with the 5th pick? That was Jon Koncak and we all know how that turned out, don't we? If he wasn't the most motivated person on the planet with that size at Bradley, what makes anyone think the lightbulb is going to pop on now, especially when the first NBA check clears his account?

I'm for taking risks but not with draft picks this high. The Hawks aren't drafting high school seniors anymore so its time to go after more of a sure thing.

Guest Walter

I've been a proponent of weighing all criteria, not just best player or project available. If Roy, Morrison, Thomas, or Aldridge are available (don't think Bargnani will be) we should select them if only for trade value. That or trade down for the likes of O'Bryant. He's very young and may turn out to be good, but he doesn't have greatness in him and has many question marks about his ability to even be very good in the NBA.

I'm not dead set against him as he is a legit center, but talent-wise the drop off is too great for me to sign off on the deal. It's on thing to be a sure thing with lesser talent, it's another thing to be a questionable, lesser talent at a position of need.

W