• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ford: Redick, Morrison impressive

exodus

I have said all along that these two guys will be better pros than people are giving them credit for.

Redick rising like a Rocketposted: Wednesday, June 7, 2006 | Feedback

• For Chad Ford's preview of the Top 10 players to watch at the Orlando pre-draft camp, click here.

From the NBA's perspective, one of the biggest questions of the college basketball season was this: Will J.J. Redick be a good pro?

Can college basketball's Player of the Year become an elite NBA player? Or is he little more than a sharp-shooting role player, like Kyle Korver and Steve Kerr?

Scouts have leaned toward the latter all year. Their concerns? His size for a shooting guard, his lack of athleticism, his defensive inadequacies and the one-dimensional nature of his game.

But is there a point when you overthink a guy? His success at Duke was so dominant that the question must be asked, if he can do it against the best players in college basketball every night, why can't he do it in the pros?

The early word back from workouts in places like Houston, Utah and Boston has been surprisingly positive.

Sources with all three teams have said the same thing to me. Redick is better than they thought he would be. He's tested well in the athletic drills teams take him through. His defense has been aggressive in one-on-one sessions. He's shown the ability to create and make his own shot against some of the best college players in the draft.

Even a guy who's been scouted and scouted and scouted can surprise folks.

"I'm actually not a huge believer in individual workouts," one NBA executive said. "However, I think we learned a lot about that kid and it was all good. In almost every area, including shooting, he was better than we thought. You can watch him in games and see that he can really play. But it wasn't until the workouts that you could really see that he may be able to do some of those same things against NBA athletes. He's not going to be the MVP of the league or anything. But he's going to be a good player in the league."

How good? Good enough that Redick appears to be in the conversation with the Celtics at No. 7 and in serious consideration by the Rockets at No. 8.

In my first mock draft, I put Redick at No. 8, because he appeared to be a good fit for the Rockets. With Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady getting double-teamed on a nightly basis, Redick should have plenty of wide open jumpers. No one in the draft would be better at hitting them.

But after Redick's workout, I think the Rockets see him as a kid who could eventually become the third best player on their team and as a gritty competitor who should be able to step right in and contribute. There's no question the Rockets want to be back in the playoff hunt next season. Besides Redick, Brandon Roy, who's unlikely to slip to No. 8, is probably the only guy in the draft who could play for the Rockets right now.

If the Rockets don't take Redick at No. 8, he'll likely go to either the Magic at No. 11 or the Jazz at No. 14. But until I hear differently, I think that 8 might be Redick's magic number.

• Adam Morrison had his first workout for an NBA team over the weekend. He flew to Charlotte and worked out against Memphis' Rodney Carney. A source in Charlotte said both worked out well but that it was Morrison who shined.

Why? The Bobcats wanted to see him play against a long, athletic player. The question on everyone's mind, much as with Redick, is whether he can continue to get and make his shot at the next level.

Morrison scored time and time again against Carney, prompting Carney to say after the workout, "A lot of people say, 'Oh, Adam can't go one-on-one.' Adam can go one-on-one. He is a very fierce competitor. He will make shots and is a very offensive-minded guy and will get down and score on you. I have nothing but good things to say about Adam."

From everything I'm hearing, the Bobcats were leaning toward Rudy Gay over Morrison before the workout. Do they still feel the same way now?

• The hot rumor here at the pre-draft camp is that UConn's Josh Boone decided to keep his name in the draft after receiving a promise from the New York Knicks that they'd draft him in the first round if he were still on the board.

Boone announced on Monday that he was hiring an agent and ending his college eligibility.

Remember, Knicks president Isiah Thomas gave a promise to a somewhat similar player, Arizona's Channing Frye, last season.

The Knicks have two first-round picks this year, No. 20 and No. 29.

• In our ongoing Marcus Williams weight watch, IMG trainer Joe Abunassar told us that Williams is now down to 212 and will be 210 when he weighs in at the physicals on Saturday.

Abunassar has been flying to L.A. to help train Williams and said that he's now in the best shape of his life.

"Is he the most athletic kid in the draft? No." Abunassar asked. "But he's quicker than people think. Marcus has lots of speeds and he knows when to use them. Watch him at UConn. People had trouble staying in front of him on the defensive end. He really knows how to play and when you know how to play, your game becomes more efficient and you find ways to take advantage of the defense."

Quote:

I maintain that, long term, whoever drafts Adam Morrison in the top five will be very disappointed, and whoever drafts JJ Redick in the first round period will be very disappointed.

JJ Redick in the 1st round is a bit extreme. He's worth a 1st round pick for teams looking for a missing piece. I think he would be a perfect compliment next to Lebron James since he can knock down the open 3. But you're right on the money about Morrison in the top 5. I don't care how you spin it, there is no way Morrison is the BPA in the top 5. His ceiling is simply not high enough to warrant a pick that high.

The thing about JJ Redick is that he will never be anything more than a spot up jump shooter coming off the bench. He will be a modern day Steve Kerr, without the handles Steve Kerr had.

Adam Morrison will be a more emotional, less athletic version of Wally Szczerbiak.

Quote:

The thing about JJ Redick is that he will never be anything more than a spot up jump shooter coming off the bench. He will be a modern day Steve Kerr, without the handles Steve Kerr had.

Adam Morrison will be a more emotional, less athletic version of Wally Szczerbiak.

But even if JJ Redick is the next Kyle Korver or Steve Kerr, for teams that are more complete to the Hawks, they can justify using a 1st round pick on them. Because it's not like they are picking in the top 5, we're talking teams picking in the late 20s.

Quote:

a player of wally's skills deserves to go in the first round. Like Ford said, i think earliest should be rockets (what a great fit w/ YAO + McGrady). latest should in the mid-late first round.

i dont see him as an allstar but he can be a solid role player as a starter/bench player.

wow, i'm going to have to disagree big time. Corver? Kerr? i think what you're doing is thinking of a couple of threepoint shooters and labeling Reddick that. Might as well say Majerle or Ainge. Any other 3 point white guys I'm missing? Neither one of those guys was player of the year in college and dominating everyone they played. I saw many ACC games as an FSU fan, and Reddick is nasty. I think the article was dead on on saying what type of system he could flourish. 3rd man scorer and not terrible on d, servicable.

And I may be the only Adam Morrison fan on here but as I've mentioned before if Reggie Miller can do it, I don't see why Adam Morrison can't. The man can score and I think that with his type of determination, any proclaimed weakness of his will be worked on with a fierceness. I will say that I think he struggles early in his first season because I think he'll try to do too much, but he will be very successful and I beleive he'll make at least 3 allstar games.

There's no way JJ is going to be able to guard anyone in the NBA. He simply doesn't have the lateral agility to do so. He also doesn't compare to Dan Marjele or anyone like that who could handle the basketball and were very athletic. Everytime JJ Redick went up against a long, athletic player that could defend in college, he couldn't get his shot off. Look at what Collis Temple III did to him when LSU beat Duke in the tournament. JJ was 4-18 or so in that game.

Quote:

And I may be the only Adam Morrison fan on here but as I've mentioned before if Reggie Miller can do it, I don't see why Adam Morrison can't. The man can score and I think that with his type of determination, any proclaimed weakness of his will be worked on with a fierceness. I will say that I think he struggles early in his first season because I think he'll try to do too much, but he will be very successful and I beleive he'll make at least 3 allstar games.

Morrison is going to score big time at the NBA level. Your comparison to Reggie's skill set is a good one and I also think he will compare nicely to Alan Houston as well...

I'd compare J.J. Reddick to Wesley Person. Both had serviceable athleticism, handles, pasing ability, and size (though I think Reddick is like 2 inches shorter). Anyway I expect him to be a guy that will eventually score 13-16 ppg on a really nice percentage. But as for stats, he won't have much else. He'll lead the league in three a few times and could really be a nice piece on a team that has a superstar that can pass (like LeBron) so he can get open looks. But picking that kind of player at 8-14 isn't bad at all.

• Premium Member

I don't think Morrison is a one dimensional offensive player. He can do more than Shoot from distance. He can also drive, he can also shoot the midrange shot. He's going to be very dangerous.. But more importantly will be his competitiveness. Because of his competitiveness and work ethic... I will use the superstar word and will mention... LARRY BIRD...

I see Morrison as being a guy who just will will his team to a win.

If he goes to a team in need of a first rank scorer, he will be big time in this league.

If they Raps take him first overall.. Watch out!

I disagree about both and think Reddick will be a good choice 10 - 20. He reminds me of Randy Wittman, which means he wll need screens to get off his shot. I have a feeling that Morrison will be a future all-star. He will not be a great defender, but the guy can score on people. He will be able to create shots within a system. He is top 5 in this draft.

Again, it is amazing how down people are on the top college players. Both Redick and Morrison dominated in college. You cannot over look that.

To me Redick is a Jeff Hornacek type player. In other words, a really good player that can help any team.

Morrison defies labels, the dude just wants it more then anyone. If someone like Aldridge or O'Bryant had Morrison's determination they would be all-world prospects.

Quote:

These are the kind of quotes that end up in Diesel's sig.

I wasn't that high on Redick or Morrison, but when KB insists they will be duds I have to rethink my position.

I don't know about Redick, but I have started to come around on Morrison. More than his skills, I like his attitude and as Diesel said "competitiveness". It's more than confidence or arrogance, he pushes himself and his team to perform at higher levels. While I don't think he fits our team, I would like that kind of personality in the lockerroom.

The Hawks should take Redick. Hands down, best pure shooter in the draft, maybe in the NBA already, underated on D, intense, and can create his own shot. Why do people doubt him, because he's white? I've seen JJ play many, many times, and he is always the best player on the floor. He will be better than everyone thinks. He wants to prove everyone wrong. Whoever drafts him will get the steal of the draft.