• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Do not forget to measure the competive spirit

coachx

Peoria,

There are some on here that only want instant gratification. They don't have a long term vision for the team. Their only goal is to get to the playoffs as quick as possible. The good thing is that Billy's goal is to build a team that can win a championship and not just be a one and done playoff team.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the same guy that said Chris Paul wouldnt make it in the NBA because he is a midget and this and that ... only to see him come in and DOMINATE as a rookie.

You were also way down on Charlie Villanueva last year and what did he do, he blew up as a rookie.

You are no better, or no worse, than any of us on here at projecting who will make it in the NBA. Williams could become the next big star in the NBA, or he could become average ... both reasonable conclussions drawn from his college career and his physical attributes.

I would MUCH rather bet on Wiliams having a great career than any other big in this draft, safe for maybe Aldridge who I still think will be a star.

So you should really get off your high horse position that you like to get on where you talk like you are the only one who could make this team a winner ... you really should, because I would say there is a huge chance that BK drafts someone that you have been talking down on now, only to come back later and have you talk him up as the next big thing just because BK took him.

Nope. I never said Chris Paul wouldn't make it. I said that he wouldn't be a superstar long term. I don't really care what he or Villanueva did as rookies. In the long run, both will be role players while Marvin Williams is a superstar.

I did say that Raymond Felton would be the best point guard from that class, and while Chris Paul stagnated late in the season as a rookie, Raymond Felton continued to get better. That will be a trend for the future. Felton's 19 and 10 over the final two months of the season dwarfed what Paul had done during those two months.

Shelden Williams at 5 is the type of pick Pete Babcock would make, because it is considered the safe pick with limited upside and immediate response.

Quote:

Peoria,

There are some on here that only want instant gratification. They don't have a long term vision for the team. Their only goal is to get to the playoffs as quick as possible. The good thing is that Billy's goal is to build a team that can win a championship and not just be a one and done playoff team.

"There are some on here that" lick Billy's balls until they become immune to the taste of salt. that would be you Kaybee toyman internet gangster/goofy cartoon fan.

i hate to be that guy but could i word it anymore dead on than that? can i get an amen here people?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think that you are missing his point which is a lot of guys in the past have done well in college like Danny Ferry, Christian Lakener, Sam Bowie etc. but have not done as well in the pros regardless of what conference they come from.

And I addressed that... What I'm saying is WHO you played and HOW you play Matters. I won't talk about Bowie becuase his main problem was he was injured and he was not MJ. However, Look at the treatment of Adam Keefe vs. the treatment of Shelden Williams. Williams obviously played the best competition and showed up for every game. What did Keefe do? He played against some guys who spent the rest of their life pumping gas at the local gas station..> For God sake, we drafted Rich Manning.. do you ever remember him playing for us??

As far as Free and Laettner goes, both guys underachieved on the next level but both guys were Sfs trying to play PF. They had no power. Neither guy was an exceptional defender. I don't think they were bad, they just wasn't good as advertised. Somebody said we should compare apples to apples. If that's the case, then Shelden should be compared to guys like him... like Okafor, Brand, and Boozer. BTW, He's better than Boozer.

Quote:

25.1 PPG, 12.3 RPG, 3.0 APG, 55.0% FG, 45% 3P

That's the numbers Adam Keefe put up as a senior at Stanford. Like I said. Numbers at the college level mean virtually nothing. In fact, Keefe averaged over 20 PPG for three years at Stanford.

that's why it's number + heart/desire/fire

if shelden has heart/desire/fire, then he will be a good nba player; if he doesn't, then he'll be like many college stars that were mediocre in the nba

Quote:

He didn't get any better as the season went along, did he?

Raymond Felton did.

Please do not tell me you are as big an idiot as that statement makes you seem. Felton played on a team which was ravaged by injuries, so he got more playing time and yes his numbers improved. Paul played all year at a very high level and helped his team win a lot more games then anyone could have predicted.

Quote:

That's the great thing about KB. Even if Paul went on to multiple all-star games and Marvin never averages more than 15 points/game, he would still insist that Marvin is a superstar and Paul has maxed out his potential.

what's with all this "potential" talk anyway?!?!

i will "potentially" be very upset if the Hawks win 26 games again next year.

Billy should try to get away from all this "potential" talk in the draft and start looking towards somebody that will provide us some wins.

Quote:

Felton got more playing time? Is that why Chris Paul lead all rookies in minutes played?

Don't be myopic.

At the end end of the year Felton's minutes increased dramatically - which is one of the reasons for his improved statistics.

Felton was averaging around 37 minutes per game over the last couple of months while Chris Paul was averaging around 36 minutes per game over the same time span. The difference in minutes is negligble. Felton simply played better at the end than Paul did, and I believe he will continue to grow and will be better long term than Chris Paul.

Raymond Felton was one of the only players I would have moved out of the 2nd spot and missed the opportunity to get Marvin Williams for. The only deal I would have taken would have been the one with Charlotte, where we got their two first round picks. I would have targeted Raymond Felton and Sean May with those two picks, but once Danny Granger slipped, I probably would have taken him instead of May even though I like Sean May a lot as a basketball player.

Felton didn't play the minutes that Paul did early in the year and didn't have the injury problems that Paul did. He scored a whopping 2 more ppg than Paul the last two months of the year. Big deal.

Don't get me wrong I like Felton but just because he played well at the end is not a reason to try to discredit what Paul did.

I'm not trying to discredit what Chris Paul did. All I'm doing is restating what I said before and after last year's draft. Raymond Felton will be a better point guard long term than Chris Paul will. How is that discrediting what Chris Paul did? When I say that Chris Paul isn't going to be as good long term as some of you believe, that isn't discrediting what he has done. It's simply following right along with what I said about him before he was drafted. Teams are going to figure out what his weaknesses are, and they will exploit those weaknesses. Even Paul Hewitt said on the radio the other day that the people who are criticizing the Hawks for not taking Chris Paul are missing the fact that at the college level, Chris Paul struggled against bigger point guards like Jarret Jacks, John Gilchrist, and Raymond Felton.

Quote:

...There are some on here that only want instant gratification. They don't have a long term vision for the team...

Puleeeeze, the "potential years" are over. Hawks already have plenty of potential. If BK drafts another "potential" guy this year his 5 year plan turns into a 7 year plan (and he won't be around to see year 6).

It doesn't matter if X-guy is a sophomore but Y-guy is a senior. The guy we draft has to produce 1st year. That being the case, I would strongly advise we draft a guy with a track record of getting the job done against quality competition.

Quote:

Quote:

...There are some on here that only want instant gratification. They don't have a long term vision for the team...

Puleeeeze, the "potential years" are over. Hawks already have plenty of potential. If BK drafts another "potential" guy this year his 5 year plan turns into a 7 year plan (and he won't be around to see year 6).

It doesn't matter if X-guy is a sophomore but Y-guy is a senior. The guy we draft has to produce 1st year. That being the case, I would strongly advise we draft a guy with a track record of getting the job done against quality competition.

end of story.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Again, there is a long list of guys that have produced in collage and din't do squat in the pros and may of those guys were selected before Dirk, Kobe, Jordan, Garnett, Nash, Malone, Stockton, Barkley, Vince Cater, Tracy McGrady etc. The Scouts are smarter now and don't necessarily look at the player's college production because that depends on several variables like coaching style, who is already on the team, age etc. but rather, focuses on the player's actual skill and project how that skill will be useful in the NBA or to the specific team type of you are trying to build.

Well you may be right...nobody can say for sure how players will work out. Maybe we should take that 6'8" center out of Missouri State that dominated O'Bryant?

Seriously though - I hope O'Bryant does well...it will be good advertising for the MVC. I just don't think the Hawks are in a position to gamble this year.

If we take him I'll pull for him.