• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

J.J. Redick

timelord

• Moderators

Quote:

Reddick is overrated. Did anyone check out his stats? He shoots less than 40% from the 3 point line. His shooting prowess is overblown. He will not be able to get his shot of with set plays or picks set up specifically for him.

I despise JJ but his shooting prowess shouldn't be questioned. His % was not nearly as good as it could have been because the Duke offense relied on him as a primary shooter and he ended up forcing high degree of difficulty shots. If an NBA team intends to center its offense around him in the same way then I agree he is going to dissappoint - bigtime. However, the guy has a great stroke and will be able to get his shot off in an offense where he is a third option or one with effective screens on offense (particularly given his high level of energy and fitness).

• Moderators

Quote:

I'm saying that he will not be able to get his shot off against athletic defenders in the NBA.

I understand that point but I don't get your statement that he was always shut down by athletic defenders in college. That seems like a gross exaggeration to me - even though I agree with the point that he struggled against elite college defenders at times and that he always choked at some point during the NCAA (when Duke was inevitably eliminated earlier than their seeding would dictate).

What I don't get is how anyone can think that JJ Redick is a starter in the NBA. Who is he going to be able to defend?

That's why I brought this up when the comparison to Salim was made. No one had the outlandish vision that Salim would start in the NBA, with the exception of a few on this board. Salim is a better shooter than JJ as well.

• Moderators

I think Salim and JJ will be similar players in the NBA with JJ probably a little better given what he showed in college. I also think JJ and Salim are similar shooters in terms of talent and that Salim played more within his range than JJ did in college. If JJ shows the same shot selection in the NBA he did in college his #s will suck. If he shows a similar shot selection in the NBA to what Salim does then I think his numbers will probably be better than Salim's.

Although JJ's college numbers behind the arc were less impressive than Salim Stoudamire's I see that some people still believe he'll be a better pro prospect despite being less athletic.

But at least the original poster is the only clown that seems to think picking Redick with our pick is a good idea.