• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Measurements are in

WraithSentinel

• Premium Member

Bigger than expected

1. Adam Morrison. Thought dude was 6'6"...

2. Rudy Gay. He's a legit 6'8"...

3. JJ Reddick. He's almost 6'5"...

4. Taj Gray - At 6'8.5" he might be the steal of the 2nd round.

5. J.P. Batista = See Taj Gray.

6. Brandon Roy = For some reason, I believed he was 6'4"..

Too THIN

1. Tyrus Thomas = 217... WTH???

2. Gerry McNamara = Stayed in College too long, but never gained weight.

3. Matt Harryayz... I wanted to here Ryan Cameron saying Harryass... But 219?

4. Cedric Simmons = I think you can gain weight, but you're very skinny.

Too Short

1. Craig Smith. DAYUUM he's short.

2. Marco Killingsworth - See Craig Smith.

WHOOSE STOCK WENT UP IN MHO

1. J.J, Redick. Don't know what it means as far as DWI however, his size is not as much a concern as it was.

2. Adam Morrison. Wow. He's a good size..

3. Rudy Gay. BK has to be drooling because this guy's size is perfect.

4. Shawnee Williams. See Gay.

5. Batista.

6. Hilton Armstrong

7. AARON Gray.

8. Eric Williams = By virtue that he's not like Craig Smith.

Whoose stock went down

Killingsworth

Smith

Josh Boone - What the hell is he thinking.

Rodney Carney = He's smaller than expected.

Diesel's new second round steals

Eric Williams.

Taj Gray

JP Batista

Frans Steyn - Big 7'3" Giant who was making Milsap look bad.

McNamara = Even though he has some weight issues, experience.

Steve Novak... Some team will get this guy and get a bonafide steal. People talk about picking up the next Dirk, Novak is almost 6'9.5" and he can knock the the NBA three with ease. This guy is the poor man's Adam Morrison. I would like to see these two matched up together. I think Novak has the size advantage.

Questions

What's wrong with Josh Boone and Nick Ferguson?

What's going to happen with Killingsworth, Craig Smith, and Milsap. The first two are just too Short. Milsap is the right size but he's killing himself in this camp.

• Premium Member

Vladimir Veremeenko

1Veremeenko_Vladimir.jpg

This guy could be a steal in the 2nd round.... if he is able to play some Pf. His shooting mechanics are not so good according to one report.

But the good news is this:

Quote:

Vladimir Veremeenko (207-F-84) has been named player of the year in Belarus for the fourth consecutive year. According to the results of the annuall poll held by the Belarusian leading sports periodical "Pressball", Vladimir Veremeenko (207-F-84) was far ahead of Yahor Meshcharakou (205-F-76, agency: Octagon, college: George Washington) and Pavel Ulianko (204-F/C-79), who came second and third respectively. Other players who made it into Belarusian top 10 are - Uladzimir Charko (200-F-74), Alexander Koul (215-C-75, agency: Court Side, college: George Washington), Alexander Kudriavtsev (190-G-80), Aleksander Poderachev (185-G-75), Viktar Hubko (205-C-70), Aliaksei Pyntsikau (192-G-75), Andrei Vasileuka (196-F-72).

He's 6'10 230, 21 years old, bad mechanics on his shot but is faster than most Pfs and stronger than most Sfs. He translates to the NBA as a Sf right now. He's old by Euro standers. I don't know if he will be a problem getting over here but he's not a guy you would have to wait on to develop like Cenk.

Shelden Williams at just 6'7.5". About what we expected, maybe a quarter inch shorter. I'm so torn on him. If only he were 1 to 2 inches taller, I'd be all over him. I'm warming up to the idea because his game really fits the need, his strength fits the need, BUT his height does not. Part of our need for a big is to give Zaza less minutes. Even in limited minutes, I don't know about a 6'7.5" guy at center. I think his rebounding will carry through, and he will be an above average shotblocker. I'm not sure if he will be able to score against big guys.

Also, O'Bryant is 15 lbs heavier than Aldridge (just 1 inch taller)? I thought O'Bryant was lighter.

• Premium Member

CLICK here for KB's first opinion...

Quote:

helden Williams - Thanks to one of the posters on this board that listened to the interview with Herb Brown yesterday, Shelden Williams is a player that was basically described to a T by Brown when talking about what type of player the Hawks might be looking to add. Shelden Williams is an excellent defensive player in the low post that brings the versatility to play the power forward and the center position, even though he has played only the center position at Duke. Shelden is a big body at 6'9", 250 lbs, and while he doesn't have traditional NBA center size, he has a large wingspan that will allow him to play bigger than his size. This is a player that will come in and make an immediate impact as a post defender, which is probably the one thing the Hawks need the most. Shelden also runs the floor very well, though he's not an athletic freak. The question that will surround Shelden is how much better will he get? There wasn't much improvement from his junior season to his senior season, and there is reason to believe that Shelden may be as good as he will ever be right now. This is a player that has been mentioned with the Hawks by Chad Ford, as he stated that Billy Knight has a very high opinion of Shelden Williams. Some believe this is too high for Shelden, but chances are, Shelden will go no lower than 8th or 9th in this draft.

So, which one of these players will the Hawks end up getting? Will they get the much needed post defender in Shelden Williams, even though some fans don't believe he should go this high? Will they go for the back court mate for Joe Johnson in either Randy Foye or Ronnie Brewer? Or, will they take the guy who might have the highest upside of any player that was mentioned in Rudy Gay despite his position?

At this point,
I'm leaning towards either Randy Foye or Shelden Williams,
but I am going to keep an eye on Ronnie Brewer's workouts. By the time the draft gets here, Ronnie Brewer may be the top guy for the Hawks with this pick.

The Flip is coming...

Quote:

The issue is, Shelden very likely won't be anything more than a guy who gets you 12 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks a night.
That's not what I want out of the 5th pick in the draft.
It's solid, but I'd expect to get that more with the 12th pick than I would with the 5th pick. He simply doesn't have the potential to be a 20 and 10 guy at the NBA level.

The flip is complete...

Quote:

Well, since you don't want anything about the upside that Shelden doesn't have, I will have to make a case that he simply doesn't fit the type of player the Hawks want.

These are excerpts from the weakness section on his draftexpress scouting report.

Quote:

Measurements will be key for Williams. Anything below the 6-9 he is listed at could drop his stock. Athletically, he is extremely solid but definitely not a freak, especially compared with other NBA players at his position. He is not the quickest player in the world nor the most explosive, not being the type that will soar for attractive put-back dunks or blocks like Marcus Camby or just blow by his man like Amare Stoudemire.

See, I'm looking for an Amare Stoudemire type of post player when it comes to the style the Hawks want to run. Amare is athletic as hell, can get up and down the floor, defends the position well, and doesn't slow you down. With Shelden, I think his lack of athleticism and quickness makes him a bad fit for what we want to do.

Quote:

Offensively he is a bit robotic in his movements, not being the most fluid player in the world and often looking a bit mechanical in certain things he does. He often relies too much on his strength to score around the paint, not having too much finesse to his game. Most of his points come off layups, dunks, free throws and short jump-hook shots around the basket. It’s unlikely that he will be able to maintain the same scoring production at the NBA level where everyone is bigger, more athletic and often just as strong as he is. The lack of legit size and skill in NCAA is a concern when you try to project him to the NBA, as he is truly a man amongst boys. At times will try to force his way to the hoop using his brute strength, either traveling in the process or being called for an offensive foul.

We've got the potential to have a high octane offense in Atlanta with the skill level of Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, and Josh Smith. A robotic and brute type of offensive player is a bad fit for a running team.

Quote:

His face-up game in general is extremely unpolished, being a center in a power forward’s body for the most part, maybe even a tweener. He has shown very little ability to shoot the ball outside of 15 feet, although this is just not his role at Duke so it’s hard to get a very accurate read on this. His ball-skills are just as raw. He dribbles with his head down, looking very stiff. You really don’t want him doing much ball-handling outside of 12 feet, but he has never really had to in his career.

This basically says that he lacks versatility. This is a player that, in today's NBA, will not be able to play the power forward position because he simply doesn't match up offensively. On a team that wants to get out and run as well, he needs to have some ball handling ability. He will be asked to start a break off a rebound in Atlanta, as Mike encourages his players to do that.

Quote:

Comparing the player Williams was as a junior to the one we see as a senior, there aren’t really that many noticeable differences. It wouldn’t be a stretch to say that he is fairly close to reaching his maximum potential as a player. Playoff teams or teams on the cusp of making the playoffs won’t mind that that much, since Williams is a 6-9 warrior that is ready to come in and battle for them immediately, but GMs drafting in the mid-high lottery who are looking to swing for the fences for a homerun pick could decide to shy away in their never-ending search for a player to build a team around. That’s the probably the worst thing you could say about Williams, he’s a role player in every sense of the word.

And that's basically my biggest issue against taking him with the 5th pick in the draft.

• Premium Member

I think Shelden will be a very good guy to start at PF.

Then when we go small he moves over to C.

I like Zaza because Zaza has very good offense for a young C. I think with a little more work, Zaza's offense would be able to produce 15-16 points from the C spot.

What may happen... realistically is that we might re-sign Al.

Then we will have Shelden coming off the bench to spell both Al and Zaza...

Things will really get interesting then.. because we would definitely be deep... and we would have definite defensive parts...

Patrick O'Bryant has the perfect size. That's who I would be looking at closely if I were BK. This is someone whom with a little weight training could hold his own against Dwight Howard. He is already 2inches taller than Dwight(He was 6'9 w/o shoes). Howard put on about 20 to 25lbs last summer. He is listed at 265. O'Bryant is listed at 249. He could easily put on a extra 10 to 15lbs this summer before training camp begins. I say the real test for O'Bryant is the interview. We need to find out where this kid's "head is at."

consider me a flip flopper too....i like shelden but i was thinking he was more of a solid 6'9" not just under...

man, just another inch and the guy is my man...at a lower pick, i'm for him..trade down definitely...i'm willing to take a gander at obryant but he scares me

why no alexander johnson measuerments?

If you carefully read and comprehend the first post, you will notice that when I stated I was leaning towards Shelden Williams or Randy Foye, it was not a statement declaring what I would do. I was stating who I thought the Hawks would pick.

There is nothing contradictory in the other two statements, because quite honestly, I'm not crazy about taking Shelden at 5. I stated on another board that I would love to be able to move down and pick up Shelden as well as Randy Foye.