• Raised $440 of $700 target

Players Wingspan are in

WraithSentinel

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

agreed. however we are still 2 years away from being that picky.

Well the odds of Smith and/or Marvin being good starting caliber PF's are significantly better (IMO) than the odds of Zaza being a good starting C. Which is why it might be better to gamble on a guy like O'Bryant who COULD be a good starting C and gives us size, rather than a guy like Shelden who at BEST exacerbates our problem of having too many SF's. If we draft a PF, it should be one that we hope can at least play some minutes at C. If not we have draft+Chill+Marvin+Smith, that's 4 guys trying to get starter minutes at 2 minutes. 5 guys for 3 spots is feasible. 4 guys for 2 spots is too much.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Damn! Shelden is a little longer than expected. Most thought he would have around a 7'2" wingspan, but to measure out at 7'4.25", he's very long. Despite his height, his length will allow him to play center in the NBA.

Maybe he should play center?

Can you imagine a team where everyone plays out of position to accomodate one moderate talent? JJ at Pg, Chill at Sg, JS at Pf, and SW at C. That's one [censored] up team. Nevermind the talent, it's doomed to fail playing midget and post skill vacuum ball.

W

Quote:

Can you imagine a team where everyone plays out of position to accomodate one moderate talent? JJ at Pg, Chill at Sg, JS at Pf, and SW at C. That's one [censored] up team. Nevermind the talent, it's doomed to fail playing midget and post skill vacuum ball.

W

It's also doomed because you only have 4 players on the floor! wink.gif

Guest Walter

10 out of 20 have a greater standing reach regardless of position. Forget talent which SW does not have over most of these guys. His wingspan (minus his lousy height) doesn't translate into remotely a center's reach. Projected guards have longer standign reaches. THIS IS NOT A LEGIT CENTER CANDIDATE!

W

Quote:

Quote:

Well the odds of Smith and/or Marvin being good starting caliber PF's are significantly better (IMO) than the odds of Zaza being a good starting C. Which is why it might be better to gamble on a guy like O'Bryant who COULD be a good starting C and gives us size, rather than a guy like Shelden who at BEST exacerbates our problem of having too many SF's. If we draft a PF, it should be one that we hope can at least play some minutes at C. If not we have draft+Chill+Marvin+Smith, that's 4 guys trying to get starter minutes at 2 minutes. 5 guys for 3 spots is feasible. 4 guys for 2 spots is too much.

agreed. however Sheldon while far too small to play C may indeed be more productive than Zaza at the spot.

Sheldon

Marvin

Smoove

Joe

your favorite PG here or maybe even Chillz

that's a great small ball team especially with a PG and not CHillz out there and while there are players like Shaq that would push Sheldon around i think we'd run Shaq right off the floor with that lineup.

i'm just trying to play Billy's game here and think outside of the box.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

agreed. however Sheldon while far too small to play C may indeed be more productive than Zaza at the spot.

Sheldon

Marvin

Smoove

Joe

your favorite PG here or maybe even Chillz

that's a great small ball team especially with a PG and not CHillz out there and while there are players like Shaq that would push Sheldon around i think we'd run Shaq right off the floor with that lineup.

i'm just trying to play Billy's game here and think outside of the box.

Exactly... the positions on the floor could easily be G/G/F/F/F.

Quote:

It's also doomed because you only have 4 players on the floor! wink.gif

In particular the very person the lame-os in this forum believe supports the notions of JS as a Pf and SW as a center.

Stars may be able to justify playing one person out of position. Superstars two. MW isn't nearly either and many in the forum have us playing 3 and 4 players out of position to accomodate his sorry ass. D@MN, the 2005 draft will haunt us forever at this rate.

W

Let it go. Take a walk outside for a bit, enjoy the sunshine. Then come back and examine things rationally, without so much anger. It may do you good.

Quote:

Which is why it might be better to gamble on a guy like O'Bryant who COULD be a good starting C and gives us size, rather than a guy like Shelden who at BEST exacerbates our problem of having too many SF's.

Given Shelden's lack of reach O'Bryant has moved ahead of him in my mine. Shelden just isn't long enough to spend any time at center and that is what the Hawks need.

Quote:

Let it go. Take a walk outside for a bit, enjoy the sunshine. Then come back and examine things rationally, without so much anger. It may do you good.

Agreed. Aditionally, maybe it's just me (and it very well may be, I've been doing nothing but writing for a number of weeks now), but that last post doesn't even seem coherent. What does this mean???

Quote:

In particular the very person the lame-os in this forum believe supports the notions of JS as a Pf and SW as a center.

Of course since it's walter I'll assume it's Marvin, but I didn't realize that Marvin supports JS as a PF or SW as a center??? Have we asked him? I thought Marvin had said he saw himself as a PF

Quote:

accomodate his sorry ass

I also take note of this, it seems you finally let your feelings come out. It's a refreshing change from the usual "I love Marvin, I just think we should trade him or Smoove because they will both be SFs".

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!

Guest Walter

Quote:

accomodate his sorry ass

I also take note of this, it seems you finally let your feelings come out. It's a refreshing change from the usual "I love Marvin, I just think we should trade him or Smoove because they will both be SFs".

• Moderators

Quote:

I'm pissed about the notion that one future average starting player (and that's what he will be)

Can you give 2-3 examples of "average" small forwards in the league so I can better understand what you mean by this projection?

Quote:

You insist upon playing JS at Pf and are
at least OK with Shelden at C

Where do you get this from? Lascar has never been a Shelden fan and after today's standing reach numbers he said this

Quote:

Which is why it might be better to gamble on a guy like O'Bryant who COULD be a good starting C and gives us size, rather than a guy like Shelden who at BEST exacerbates our problem of having too many SF's. If we draft a PF, it should be one that we hope can at least play some minutes at C.

He is not remotely OK with playing Shelden at C, and neither am I. Looks like you are looking for another strawman.

Quote:

Lascar, even you are seriously considering playing every single player out of position to accomodate one player in MW. You insist upon playing JS at Pf and are at least OK with Shelden at C.

No I am not. I think both Marvin and JS look like SF/PF's at this point and that their position hasn't been determined yet. It's hard for me to play a guy out of position when I don't know what his position is. It is very possible that either or both of these players will turn out to be a great PF no matter how often you want to ignore the fact that teir games are not developed enough to assign definitive position yet. Even you list Shelden as a PF when he is lighter, smaller, and has a smaller reach than Smoove, yet you can't possibly imagine smoove at the PF. Also, I don't think Shelden can play the C even part time which is why I don't really want to draft him. I think our top players' natural positions are:

Lue:PG

JJ:SG

Salim:SG

Chill: SF

Smoove:SF/PF

Marvin:SF/PF

Zaza:PF/C

and I think all these guys will be playing at their natural positions except for Salim who will have to play at the point.

Quote:

BTW, I don't think MW is a "sorry" player, but I d-mn sure regret our ever choosign him.

I fail to see how you don't think he's sorry when you want to "accomodate his sorry ass". Sounds like some PR backtracking to go back to your previous stance that you love Marvin but he has to go ASAP.

Quote:

He does not have superstar potential

yes he does

Quote:

isn't better than JS

Of course he wasn't. He was a known project when we drafted him. Anyone who expected him to be better as a rookie than our starters is a fool. The question is how good he will be in a year or two.

I really just don't agree with getting rid of Smith. Josh has drasticly changed in one summer. How can you judge a kid that is 2 years removed out of high school? In his 1st NBA season he didn't play that much. Why? Cuz he lacked work ethic, was lazy, and thought the game was supposed to come to him. during the summer he worked realy hard on his game; and as you saw this past season, he has made vast improvements. It would be a mistake to give this guy up as so many are after him. I'm tired of the Hawks givin up players and them going to other teams to have break out careers. People shouldn't be so quick to throw a player under the bus. Josh will be a phenom, as the team builds it's chym.

• Moderators

Quote:

I really just don't agree with getting rid of Smith. Josh has drasticly changed in one summer. How can you judge a kid that is 2 years removed out of high school? In his 1st NBA season he didn't play that much. Why? Cuz he lacked work ethic, was lazy, and thought the game was supposed to come to him. during the summer he worked realy hard on his game; and as you saw this past season, he has made vast improvements. It would be a mistake to give this guy up as so many are after him. I'm tired of the Hawks givin up players and them going to other teams to have break out careers. People shouldn't be so quick to throw a player under the bus. Josh will be a phenom, as the team builds it's chym.

Is anybody advocating getting rid of Josh Smith? I think he is one of the few players on the team everyone agrees we want to keep barring an offer we can't refuse like Dwight Howard, etc.

Walter, what will the lottery numbers be this week?

You seem to be able to tell the future. I could use some extra cash.

Great summary Lascar. Save that one and repost it everytime this argument comes up.

I think we all agree that we need a full sized center more than anything. Aldridge would fill that slot adequately and definitely start over ZaZa. O'Bryant would probably be the next best choice based on need but from the lists, etc I've seen, it doesnt appear that BK will draft him even over Shelden. And I can agree that it would be hard to bypass drafting the another SF's such as Bargnani. And actually that is where drafting Marvin will kill us. Hopefully Aldridge will fall to us. If not, free agency will be even more key and autobypassing Walter's posts will be required.