• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Players Wingspan are in

WraithSentinel

Quote:

I bet a tear comes to your eye when you think about the left handed free throw?

Absolutely. It was hands-down the best NCAA basketball moment in the history of the sport. Forget the Laettner shot. Bo's left-handed free throws are what it's all about.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely. It was hands-down the best NCAA basketball moment in the history of the sport. Forget the Laettner shot. Bo's left-handed free throws are what it's all about.

and you gotta figure that Bo practiced that - so as not to embarrass the memory of Hank with an air ball...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and you gotta figure that Bo practiced that - so as not to embarrass the memory of Hank with an air ball...

Definitely. LMU was about dedication to a cause.

• Premium Member

"That's just part of the game," Laettner said. "There was nothing vengeful in it. I had to put my foot down because I needed some balance. I didn't step hard. They (the Kentucky players) realized that. They didn't think it was a dirty play." - by Joe Juliano, Philadelphia Inquirer, "Duke's Magician Saved his Best for the Finish," March 29, 1992.

"In Christian's case, we have a technical foul, a contact technical," Krzyzewski said. "He wasn't thrown out of the game. If he was in a fighting situation where he punched somebody, anything like that, he would be suspended and should be. In this particular situation, if you really watched the whole thing, Christian shouldn't have done that, but it was like the kid laughed at him because it was just a little tap and he should have gotten a technical and that's it." - Philadelphia Inquirer, "The NCAA Isn't Likely to Suspend Laettner, Committee Member Says," March 30, 1992.

Quote:

Quote:

agreed. however we are still 2 years away from being that picky.

Well the odds of Smith and/or Marvin being good starting caliber PF's are significantly better (IMO) than the odds of Zaza being a good starting C. Which is why it might be better to gamble on a guy like O'Bryant who COULD be a good starting C and gives us size, rather than a guy like Shelden who at BEST exacerbates our problem of having too many SF's. If we draft a PF, it should be one that we hope can at least play some minutes at C. If not we have draft+Chill+Marvin+Smith, that's 4 guys trying to get starter minutes at 2 minutes. 5 guys for 3 spots is feasible. 4 guys for 2 spots is too much.

You all are killing me is how you are throwing Zaza under the bus so early. He is 21 years old! If we drafted a center who put up Zaza's numbers last year we would have been skipping down Peachtree! Calm down.

What if Zaza actually got into the weight room over the summer. What if he is actually working on his jumper? Some additional post moves? If you put Zaza in this draft he probably goes top 5. I know more about him that Bargnani or Sene. I think Zaza improves his numbers this year. And if he doesn't ever become a defensive center..fine. All I need him to do is rebound and score..worked well for Vlade.

• Premium Member

Naw. I disagree.

Kerr is very very white. Came out basically as the sme player around the same time...

Fryer was about 6'2... I think it might be because he wasn't a pure enough PG. THE LMU system made him a OG of major proportions. In the NBA at the time, there were none of those. You had to be Rumeal Robinson to be drafted as a PG.

Quote:

Naw. I disagree.

Kerr is very very white. Came out basically as the sme player around the same time...

Fryer was about 6'2... I think it might be because he wasn't a pure enough PG. THE LMU system made him a OG of major proportions. In the NBA at the time, there were none of those. You had to be Rumeal Robinson to be drafted as a PG.

Yeah that was definitely why. I was being facetious.

Guest Walter

Quote:

"Yeah looks like MW numbers stack up (to superstar's numbers)"

or something very close to that effect

That is what you said Atlbob. Now you say...

Quote:

That criteria sucks.

You can't compare per 48 stats if there isn't a sufficient number of minutes played to make the per 48 stats meaningful. & you can't compare players at all positions because different positions produce quicker and develop faster. Thus, I came up with some basic requirements. 20 MPG and similar positions. Your crying about it doesn't change the need for them to allow for a legitimate comparison.

Quote:

Besides, you can't gaurantee that more fail than don't with stats similar to Marvin's unless you designed a database with every players rookie stats and ran an analysis, none of which I have the time for.

I can guarantee that if you can't come up with one single player, particularly in this modern age of NBA ball, to suggest you can play as poorly or produce as little as MW and still become a superstar, then your original position is false.

Quote:

The point was, and remains, twofold: Marvin's stats stack up fairly well to several elite players as far as rookie years go, and you should not judge a player drafted on potential based on his rookie year anyway.

Your two points are "false" and "maybe". MW's stats stack up remarkably poor to Lebron, Carmelo, even Josh Smith. They stack up remarkably poor to Chris Bosh. They stack up poor to Ryan Gomes, Danny Granger. They stack up poor to just about everybody, most of these players as young or younger than MW. So, while the rookie year isn't the end all, MW has always been less productive than even JS. He was a 2nd tier prospect out of HS, thus he went to college. He didn't do too much at college to pronounce him as a great pro prospect, but UNC-hype and NCAA title hype helped him. Now his stats CONTINUE TO NOT REFLECT A PLAYER WITH SUPER STAR POTENTIAL.

{quote]Marvin did not have a poor rookie season. It was actually a pretty solid rookie campaign.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Yeah, I mean Smith started 59 games as a rookie, Marvin started 7. Not because Smith was amazing right from the start, but because we were one of the worst teams in the entire history of the NBA, and someone had to start.

...but because we had drafted potential in two players at nearly the same and at the same position. Had MW and Childress been drafted 1st, it would have been JS with the fewer minutes and thus being "brought along slower". In short, this is not an argument for MW's lack luster play (He still played 25 MPG to Childress' 27 -- ooh that's a HUGE difference, it's an arguemnt for not spending your 4 consecutive 1st rd picks on Sfs. HELLO?!?