• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sheldon Williams is not top 5 material

jonsweet_19

maybe we should have picked wayne simien last year with our number 2 pick. he's basically the same player as sheldon williams. I think Sheldon will be solid, but in a few years we will end up seeing several players picked after sheldon who will end up being better. When we start making the playoffs every year,we can start drafting solid bench and role players. Do you guys honestly think Williams will take us to the next level?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Actually, Simeon is more injury prone which is why he was drafted late AND he's not the defensive player that Shelden is.

Wayne was a great offensive PF.. but defensively he brought questions. Moreover, after his injury, I don't think many GMs would touch him with a 10 foot pole.

i'm a proShelden guy and even i thnk he's not worth top 5, not just because that's high for him but because we could trade down and get him...

i think there may be other reasons for BK promising him at 5.

1-He possibly heard of another team going to trade up ahead of him to get someone else he liked(and the other team was going to trade down to get Shelden). i don't think this option is likely

2-He's past the stage of his rebuilding of getting players with potential. He's going for more polished players and then veterans.

3-He's trying to raise Shelden's stock so Obryant's drops(we trade down).

i think option 2 though.

Shelden Williams and Wayne Simien are totally different players. Shelden is taller, longer, stronger, more athletic, and plays defense. Simien is an undersized offensive player without much athleticism.

While Shelden may not quite have the star potential you want out of a number 5 pick, he's definitely worthy of a top 10 pick and he's just what we need, so it wouldn't be a mistake to take him at 5.

Quote:

Shelden Williams and Wayne Simien are totally different players. Shelden is taller, longer, stronger, more athletic, and plays defense. Simien is an undersized offensive player without much athleticism.

What? First, while Shelden's forehead makes him 1/4 inch taller, when they both raise their hands Simien gets 3 inches higher. So why is simien undersized and shelden is not? Just because we might draft him? That's the problem here. While we all like Shelden's skills, we can't ignore that he's really undersized.

Well you're right in that one is an offensive guy and the other is a defensive guy. But still, they're both guys who made a living overpowering guys in college, and they both will are undersized at the NBA level. That's the concern.

I think we all know Shelden would help. But do we want him as a #5 pick? I'm not so sure.

I am sort of neutral on Sheldon. I am not in love with getting him, but I can see the logic..The simple fact is that Sheldon is just a quality player on both sides of the ball..Sheldon might be the best interior defender in the draft..Being a good defender is as much about timing and being an intelligent player as it is about being tall and long..Sheldon is an excellent rebounder and defender, he is also a capable scorer..His sheer width creates space for him to be effective..A combination of Sheldon and Zaza would give us the toughest interior we have had in years..

Yeah I know what you mean. I wouldn't boo or be pissed if we did take him at 5, simply because there is no doubt whatsoever that he will help from day 1, and directly adress our #1 need. It would just be frustrating to take a guy at 5 when you could have gotten him at 10 or so, and picked up an extra asset.

Quote:

Yeah I know what you mean. I wouldn't boo or be pissed if we did take him at 5, simply because there is no doubt whatsoever that he will help from day 1, and directly adress our #1 need. It would just be frustrating to take a guy at 5 when you could have gotten him at 10 or so, and picked up an extra asset.

I'm not so sure that he'll be around at 10, really. We'd have to look to trade down just 2-3 spots.

I still have this huge fear that BK startles everyone by grabbing Morrison or Gay if either slipped to 5th..

"I don't care what you call him. he's not a forward, he's not a guard, he's a basketball player"

Heres a scenario to ponder..What if Morrison or Gay slipped to 5th and we drafted them..Then BK trades Marvin to the Bucks for Magloire and Mo Williams and next years 1st..How would the board feel?..BTW..this is not to bash marvin, I simply think smoove is the better player..If you could trade Marvin for 2 starters and next years 1st from the Bucks that would be a decent trade.

Quote:

I still have this huge fear that BK startles everyone by grabbing Morrison or Gay if either slipped to 5th..

"I don't care what you call him. he's not a forward, he's not a guard, he's a basketball player"

Heres a scenario to ponder..What if Morrison or Gay slipped to 5th and we drafted them..Then BK trades Marvin to the Bucks for Magloire and Mo Williams and next years 1st..How would the board feel?..BTW..this is not to bash marvin, I simply think smoove is the better player..If you could trade Marvin for 2 starters and next years 1st from the Bucks that would be a decent trade.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if we ended up with Morrison. I think he's going to be an outstanding NBA player.

I'd be pissed. BK drafted Marvin knowing he was a project, then BK better have the patience to see the project through. I get the feeling that Marvin is going to start coming out as a player if he gets enough time as a SF this coming season. If they play him at PF, then I think he'll be serviceable, but that's not what we spent a #2 overall pick for.

Quote:

Heres a scenario to ponder..What if Morrison or Gay slipped to 5th and we drafted them..

Then BK could start

PG JJ

SG Marvin

SF Morrison/Gay

PF Smoove

C Please anyone but Zaza

i wouldn't put it past him to start marvin at the 2.

Quote:

Quote:

Heres a scenario to ponder..What if Morrison or Gay slipped to 5th and we drafted them..

Then BK could start

PG JJ

SG Marvin

SF Morrison/Gay

PF Smoove

C Please anyone but Zaza

i wouldn't put it past him to start marvin at the 2.

A common observation about Marvin pre-draft was that he could "play four positions." smile.gif