• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Toronto gets Nesterovic from SA

DrReality

The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have acquired

centre Rasho Nesterovic (RAH-show Neh-STARE-oh-vitch) and cash considerations from the San Antonio Spurs in exchange for forwards Eric Williams and Matt Bonner, and a 2009 second-round draft pick. In an unrelated move, the team also waived centre Robert Whaley. Whaley was acquired June 8 from Utah, along with forward Kris Humphries, for centre Rafael Araujo.

"Acquiring Rasho brings us an experienced presence at the centre position while not affecting our cap situation," said Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo. "He's a smart basketball player who will help address our needs, particularly on the defensive end of the floor."

Nesterovic, 7-foot, 255 pounds, was a first-round selection (17th overall) by the Minnesota Timberwolves in 1998. He signed with San Antonio as a free agent in the 2003 offseason. The eight-year veteran has averaged 7.0 points, 5.7 rebounds, 1.3 blocks and 24.1 minutes in 548 career games, 456 of them as a starter. In 54 postseason contests, he has averaged 3.9 points, 3.6 rebounds and 17.7 minutes. He was a member of the Spurs' 2005 NBA Championship team.

He would of been a good big, white guy for us.

Question is: how does this affect the draft??????????????????????????????????????????????

I don't think this will effect Toronto's draft much at all. Nesterovic is nothing more than a back up center on a good team. I just don't see Bryan Colangelo making this deal thinking that he has his starting center.

I still think Andrea Bargnani is their guy.

Quote:

Nesterovic is nothing more than a back up center on a good team. I just don't see Bryan Colangelo making this deal thinking that he has his starting center.

So you think Colangelo just traded $6 million worth of expiring contracts for a contract that is worth 7.28 mil, 7.84 mil, and 8.4 mil as a backup? Rasho is going to play at least 25 minutes per and those are "starter's" minutes. I cannot envision Colangelo spending that much money on a 5 playing less than 25 minutes a game.

Yeah I agree, I don't think Rasho is much more than a back-up. If I had to guess, I'd think Toronto selects Bargnani too. The pick makes sense. They could run out a very tall line-up, with CB4, CV3 & Barg. I really think they would like to trade down and draft a point, but I don't think anyone really wants to give up what it would take to trade up that high.

On a side note, I think Bonner is going to do well in San Antonio. That dude shot the lights out against us.

Quote:

If he plans on starting Rasho, then he's already started out on the wrong foot in Toronto.

Considering the job Colangelo did in Phoenix, Rasho is going to have to prove to me this is a bad move. Two things for sure, solid depth is good at the 5 and this does make them much more flexable as far as the draft goes.

• Premium Member

Coangelo is dealing.

I have heard that he will trade Alvin Williams/#1 for Brevin Knight/#3. Makes sense if they are sure that Chicago will take Tyrus Thomas. I think that Bobcats probably want Morrison and doesn't want Chicago to take him.

If that happens, then the draft can go:

Morrion/Thomas/Bargnani.

Or

Morrison/Bargnanni/Aldridge

either way, Toronto get what they could have gotten at #3, plus they get rid of Williams' contract. Plus they get one of the best pure PGs in the league.

I suspect that they might have:

Rasho/Bosh/Charlie V./Graham/Knight as their starters.

If they don't trade for JO?

Quote:

Considering the job Colangelo did in Phoenix, Rasho is going to have to prove to me this is a bad move.

Agreed. Colangelo is proven, someone like BK...not so much. And its not like Rasho needs to do much on the Raps, just bang around inside for rebounds and play good D. I think Rasho is capable of putting in minutes and doing this. He is a good rebounder, he just never had good rebounding numbers because he happened to play with two of the best rebounders in the game (KG and Duncan). And when he gets the minutes, he puts up decent shot blocking numbers.

Rasho is 30, stinks, and peaked 4 years ago in MIN. He's soft as wet tissue. Because this is Colangelo, people will say this is a great/savvy move. I'll believe it when I see it.

Although, he is a total upgrade from Rafael A...and that's sad for the BYU grad.