• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Shots per game...

Diesel

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They could kill the A.I. rumors instantly by simply stating that we aren't interested in acquiring A.I.

Bernie Mullin has already done this. He speaks on behalf of the organization. He is the President.

Where? On 790? At your super secret ownership meeting? Answer this then, is the rest of the media, including the AJC and the Flagship station asleep, because they sure haven't picked up on it.

I have personally heard him say this on either 790 AM or 680 AM.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They could kill the A.I. rumors instantly by simply stating that we aren't interested in acquiring A.I.

Bernie Mullin has already done this. He speaks on behalf of the organization. He is the President.

Where? On 790? At your super secret ownership meeting? Answer this then, is the rest of the media, including the AJC and the Flagship station asleep, because they sure haven't picked up on it.

Either? Which one? And why hasn't it squelched any rumors? Are columnists just stupid?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Either? Which one? And why hasn't it squelched any rumors? Are columnists just stupid?

Yes.

• Moderators

Quote:

Probably 680 AM on Breakfast with Bernie but it could have been on one of his interviews with 790 AM. I just don't remember.

Maybe they had no interest in an original deal proposed by Philly..I assume Philly probably was asking for the 1st, Marvin etc..What we don't know is if Philly has lowered the asking price to something the Hawks might consider..Every major trade that ever happens is usually denied until it actually happens so you simply can't put any stock in a radio interview or a quote that is 3 or 4 weeks old..Remember BK said JT was part of the Hawks future until he traded him away..

The reason the deal won't be made is two fold:

1. They would have to completely rebuild this team to fit around AI, which means trading anyone that can score for a bunch of role players.

2. AI is owed $18 million in 2006-2007, $20 million in 2007-2008, and $21 million in 2008-2009. During this time span, contract extension opportunties for Josh Smith, Josh Childress, and Marvin Williams will come up. The Hawks won't be able to give them the deals they will be worth when that time comes, because of AI's salary cap, life sucking contract.

This is a future killing deal that simply is not going to happen.

Quote:

The reason the deal won't be made is two fold:

1. They would have to completely rebuild this team to fit around AI, which means trading anyone that can score for a bunch of role players.

2. AI is owed $18 million in 2006-2007, $20 million in 2007-2008, and $21 million in 2008-2009. During this time span, contract extension opportunties for Josh Smith, Josh Childress, and Marvin Williams will come up. The Hawks won't be able to give them the deals they will be worth when that time comes, because of AI's salary cap, life sucking contract.

This is a future killing deal that simply is not going to happen.

everyone quit it already with the talk about AI not allowing us to resign our young players. how do the knicks have a 100+ million dollar payroll? you can go over the cap to resign your own players.

if anything AI's contract gives us a huge bargaining chip in a few years as it comes off the books. it will allow us to be in the buyers trade market instead of being wholesalers.

• Premium Member

I'm thinking that too.

Maybe the original deal involved the 5th pick.

BK said no.

Maybe Philly came back with Marvin/Lue for AI.

Either way, we will have to wait til July to see if it happens. It will require us absorbing some salary.. We can't do that right now...

However, I think one thing to watch is if Philly and GS work out a draftday Deal. Namely, Dally for #9/Murphy. If this happens, I will almost bet money that we will deal for Ai in July. Becuase then the radio reports supposedly out of Philly would have some truth to it.

I don't know about AI here. Seems like a poor risk-benfit decison (and I like much of AI's game. especially his warrior mentality). Such a big contract would prevent us from having much flexibility. If we make mistakes in the draft, we can recover. Look what happens when you have a giant contract with an aging (not old, necessarily) player and things don't work out. See Marbury and KG for references. I don't think I'm ready to add AI (subtracting some talent here as well) and hope for the best. I think this is my one and only AI post as this horse has been beaten just a few too many times. I'll wait to see how it plays out, but my opinion is on record. I don't even want to get to a stats game here. Of only one thing can we be pretty certain, more butts in the seats at Phillips.

• Premium Member

I think getting a guy like AI requires that you trust the players that you already have. I don't buy into the notion that Ai would be a chemistry bust here mainly because there is no chemistry to bust and our guys are probably a lot better than anyone Ai has played with since Stack, Weatherspoon, and DC... and that's not saying a whole lot there either. Just like People can speculate that Ai would bust chemistry, it's just as easy and plausible to speculate that AI + JJ = Best Backcourt in the league.

For me however, I'm in favor of the move because it builds us an identity.

Now, about the cap. What do we need cap flexibility for? We are a horrible Free agent draw. I mean we overpay JJ and all the sudden, FAs are supposed to flock here to play for the Hawks? Get real. The only reason we don't have Damp or Kmart is because they choose other deals over ours.

Also... There comes a time when you have to get off of the welfare lottry system. Next offseason we have no pick in the first. Therefore, this is the perfect time to start streamlining our roster towards what a more conventional team and building that chemistry that we wolf about. Why not do it with a superstar to play next to JJ?