• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Actual interesting analysis from RealGM, who knew?

ATLBob

No AI, but interesting draft analysis here. Please accept as a given that: these findings are entirely based on this consultant, Paul Gearan's, analysis.

Reaffirms what we all knew, drafting higher is better, but of especial note, PGs and combos appear safer picks, especially early in the draft. Pay attention to the section, of PGs and combos drafted in the 1st round, 81% experience success at least as solid contributors after 5 yrs, and most of the failures come at the bottom of the round.

Also:

Quote:

"Of the 77 big mean drafted in the top quarter of the round, 36% have been marginal starters or worse, 30% have become solid starters, and 34% have become stars."

Big men are much more risky to reach for. "Drafting big men is like playing Russian Roulette for GMs"

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1362

Also of note, worst drafting team is the Atlanta Hawks

(all prior to 2002, so keep your panties on BK supporters)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Yes, folks hate on Billy, but Pete Babcock was horribly bad at drafting and trading, and I blame Kasten for allowing him to stick around running the Hawks deeper and deeper into the ground every year.

mj

Hm, I don't remember any bad trades that Babcock was responsible for.

Some don't like Billy because he didn't try to give them the instant gratification they desire. Some don't like him because he doesn't come out with a beanie on his head, dance around, and act like a fool.

Basically, the people that don't like Billy don't have a clue about anything related to basketball.

Quote:

Dominique Wilkins AND a 1st round pick for Danny Manning was a horrible trade from the very beginning.

Also, the Steve Smith for Isiah Rider and Jim Jackson trade didn't work out.

Whoa, whoa dude.. sarcasm.. easy now

Quote:

Some don't like Billy because he didn't try to give them the instant gratification they desire. Some don't like him because he doesn't come out with a beanie on his head, dance around, and act like a fool.

Basically, the people that don't like Billy don't have a clue about anything related to basketball.

And some blindly follow BK even though they have no clue what is going on. Those are the kind of people that quote "the sports guy" who knows absolutely nothing about sports, he was brought in for commical relief and to appeal to Bostonians.

Some people hate BK because he just flat out sucks. Maybe once he produces a year with 30 wins I will change my opinion, but since this is BK we are talking about I doubt it.

Quote:

Once YOU produce a team that can win 30 games, you can talk all you want. Until then, you SHUT THE HELL UP!!

KB, reading your posts is WAYYYY more entertaining if I imagine them in Arnold Schwarzenegger voice.

GET YOUR ASS TO MARS!

P.S. Just for clarity, I like Billy. I also like to make fun of Billy, he's just that kind of GM. But I support Billy. He's done a good job so far, getting fleeced by Coangelo for a player we desperately needed notwithstanding. I like the talent he's accumulated. I like Zaza, especially at the price. I like the bad contracts, etc, that he shipped. But he doesn't get a free pass.

This off-season, ownership issues aside, could define BKs Hawks tenure. He needs to show that he can go from being a collector to building a team.

No, it won't be easy. But the draft does have some depth. There is room for F.A.s. We may be able to SNT Al, who looks like he definently isn't coming back now. There exists room for hope, and I hope that BK is the right man for that room.

And yeah, Babcock was horrible.

Quote:

Once YOU produce a team that can win 30 games, you can talk all you want. Until then, you SHUT THE HELL UP!!

LOL seriously you need to take it easy with the BK man crush. You are really getting out of hand.

As a random example you had been dogging Shelden for months, saying no way was he worth a top 10 pick. However as soon as it became known that BK liked Shelden all of a sudden you changed your tune.

Has BK EVER made a move that you didn't like?

Quote:

He's done a good job so far, getting fleeced by Coangelo for a player we desperately needed notwithstanding.

At the risk of casting 'raise dead' on the poor horse and beating it for 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage, I'll go on record as saying that 2 picks for Joe Johnson was worth it.

Quote:

So we all like or don't like Billy. Hooray. Does anyone think anything about
the original post
?

Or can I stop bothering to look ...

Might as well stop bothering. It's much more important for us to all have our own private agendas and inject them into every thread!

Quote:

So does this apply to you also?

And its not that hard to produce a 30 win team, Isiah Thomas was able to do it.

BK is the shepherd and KB is the sheep.

• Moderators

Quote:

Does anyone think anything about
the original post
?

It is an interesting read but I don't think it amounts to a real argument not to take a big player early in light of the much greater impact the bigs that "hit" have compared to the 1s, combos and wingmen. Even the Bulls teams had some pretty good big men (Cartwright, Rodman, HoGrant, etc.)

Quote:

the original post
?

Be still!...this thread has been converted to a Marvin/AI/BK thread (as most generally are) You may also discuss Chris Paul if you so desire.

Quote:

Quote:

the original post
?

Be still!...this thread has been converted to a Marvin/AI/BK thread (as most generally are) You may also discuss Chris Paul if you so desire.

Or Diaw.

The thing is, I don't say anything here that I wouldn't say directly to anyone's face on this board. I imagine there are a lot on here that wouldn't say nearly the stuff they say on this board in person though.